Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Junior Influence on NESCAC Recruits...Does it Make a Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Influence on NESCAC Recruits...Does it Make a Difference?

Current ranking of the D3 Teams on D3hockey.com lists one Nescac team in the top 10...#6 - Bowdoin. All of the other top 10 listed teams recruit exclusively from the junior ranks. The recruited players from these squads are concentrated from the canadian tier 2 junior leagues and the NAHL with a few EJHL players. Bowdoin's recruiting class of 9 players is made up of 6 junior players and 3 prep players. Middlebury continues to buck this trend with only one Jr recruit: Beaney has his methods. The other power players in the Nescac; Williams and Amherst are about equally split. Trinity which had a tremendous rebuld last year is only bringing in 3 Jr. players (though they look to be studs) and 10 prep players. Following in the tradition Bazin started, Hamilton is also bringing in 6 junior players and 3 prep recruits.

If the Nescac is going to compete on a national level, I think the programs will need to recruit more on a junior level. Especially with the junior players being older and more mature physically. Prior to several years ago, the Nescac was almost entirely rostered with prep players. With captain practices due to start in 10 weeks, will the Nescac start to compete on a national level?

Re: Junior Influence on NESCAC Recruits...Does it Make a Difference?

Originally posted by nasa69 View Post
    Current ranking of the D3 Teams on D3hockey.com lists one Nescac team in the top 10...#6 - Bowdoin. All of the other top 10 listed teams recruit exclusively from the junior ranks. The recruited players from these squads are concentrated from the canadian tier 2 junior leagues and the NAHL with a few EJHL players. Bowdoin's recruiting class of 9 players is made up of 6 junior players and 3 prep players. Middlebury continues to buck this trend with only one Jr recruit: Beaney has his methods. The other power players in the Nescac; Williams and Amherst are about equally split. Trinity which had a tremendous rebuld last year is only bringing in 3 Jr. players (though they look to be studs) and 10 prep players. Following in the tradition Bazin started, Hamilton is also bringing in 6 junior players and 3 prep recruits.

If the Nescac is going to compete on a national level, I think the programs will need to recruit more on a junior level. Especially with the junior players being older and more mature physically. Prior to several years ago, the Nescac was almost entirely rostered with prep players. With captain practices due to start in 10 weeks, will the Nescac start to compete on a national level?
    Bowdoin is 6th in the women's poll, and 7th in the men's.

"Exclusively" from the junior ranks? Babson looks like a 50/50 split between junior and prep for last years freshman. Norwich has 8 prep school players on the roster.
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      Bowdoin is 6th in the women's poll, and 7th in the men's.

"Exclusively" from the junior ranks? Babson looks like a 50/50 split between junior and prep for last years freshman. Norwich has 8 prep school players on the roster.
      On the flip side, the NESCAC's may get a kid who wants to go to college while still underage (for alcoholic beverage consumption purposes) so they can earn that six figure salary earlier (to pay off the student loans).
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Beaney, who you cite as bucking the trend of juniors, has eight naitional titles. Granted his last (and only loss in the title game) appearance was in 2007, but the NESCAC can compete on a national stage. If Bowdoin played a stronger out of conference schedule they'd probably have had a home game in the quarters this year.

The kid I want to know about is a juniors (and former prep) player named Cameron Romoff. D3Hockey doesn't have him as going to Middlebury but the WordPress blog does. He was supposed to be a Brown recruit and quite a good one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by nescachockey View Post
          Beaney, who you cite as bucking the trend of juniors, has eight naitional titles. Granted his last (and only loss in the title game) appearance was in 2007, but the NESCAC can compete on a national stage. If Bowdoin played a stronger out of conference schedule they'd probably have had a home game in the quarters this year.

The kid I want to know about is a juniors (and former prep) player named Cameron Romoff. D3Hockey doesn't have him as going to Middlebury but the WordPress blog does. He was supposed to be a Brown recruit and quite a good one at that.
          Beaney has done it his way and done it better in D3 than any other coach. Mazzoleni, McShane, and Coughlin recently have also demonstrated coaching prowess. However, times change. In the last 3 years that the NCHA has dominated the championship, every player had junior experience and many were D1 transfers that had played jr. Subsequent to that, Norwich had 8 prep players on their squad but the two prior champions only had one prep player each. Beaney was the last coach to win with primarily prep players and that was in 06. Who knows, maybe he can do it again but clearly the direction of the dominant D3 teams is in the Jr. direction.

Comment

Originally posted by nasa69 View Post
            Beaney has done it his way and done it better in D3 than any other coach. Mazzoleni, McShane, and Coughlin recently have also demonstrated coaching prowess. However, times change. In the last 3 years that the NCHA has dominated the championship, every player had junior experience and many were D1 transfers that had played jr. Subsequent to that, Norwich had 8 prep players on their squad but the two prior champions only had one prep player each. Beaney was the last coach to win with primarily prep players and that was in 06. Who knows, maybe he can do it again but clearly the direction of the dominant D3 teams is in the Jr. direction.
            The key phrase above, IMO, is D1 transfers.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I think last yrs winner had 9...

Comment

It will make some differences but a slight difference though.
                http://www.camecosplay.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  +1

I don't really have a problem with where NESCAC is positioned for the NCAA tourney. Even without going back to Middlebury's long, long, long run the last three seasons Bowdoin & Amherst have represented the conference well.

As far as the weak OOC stuff goes, UNE, which appears 2x on Bowdoin's schedule again this year (probably Colby's too) looks better and better all the time.

Comment

Nate Silver, who is moving to ESPN from the NY Times, did a piece a couple months ago on why Canadian teams don't win the Stanley Cup anymore. Would be interesting to see a statistical analysis on the correlation between percentage of rosters being from juniors/D1 transfers and success in D-3 hockey.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...e-stanley-cup/

Comment

Nate Silver, who is moving to ESPN from the NY Times, did a piece a couple months ago on why Canadian teams don't win the Stanley Cup anymore. Would be interesting to see a statistical analysis on the correlation between percentage of rosters being from juniors/D1 transfers and success in D-3 hockey.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...e-stanley-cup/
                      If you're talking about Canadian vs US I did that a few years ago when discussing the consistent failure of Cortland hockey. It was a very large percentage of Canadians/Junior players on Top 15 teams and perennial powers of DIII which is why Financial Aid packages are HUGE in DIII.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        If you're talking about Canadian vs US I did that a few years ago when discussing the consistent failure of Cortland hockey. It was a very large percentage of Canadians/Junior players on Top 15 teams and perennial powers of DIII which is why Financial Aid packages are HUGE in DIII.
                        Link?

Comment

Link?
                          Have to put norm on it. It was a few years ago.

A quick, and very quick, look at last years Top 10 showed over 70% played Juniors/DI transfers and almost 50% were non-Americans
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I don't think it's that the NESCAC coaches don't want to recruit more junior players....I think it's that the admissions at the NESCAC schools won't let them recruit junior players (with exceptions here and there). Also, I believe that most of the NESCAC schools do not have rolling admissions and it must be difficult to convince kids to apply by January 1.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofhockey1 View Post
                              I don't think it's that the NESCAC coaches don't want to recruit more junior players....I think it's that the admissions at the NESCAC schools won't let them recruit junior players (with exceptions here and there). Also, I believe that most of the NESCAC schools do not have rolling admissions and it must be difficult to convince kids to apply by January 1.
                              January 1? Try early decision November 1.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X