UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Now that we have our new coach it appears we have everything in place for 2013-14, so it's new season thread time.

This is UAH's 29th season of varsity hockey and 35th overall. This is the 21st season in Division I (16th since rejoining in 1998), and first in the WCHA.

Our beautiful schedule:
    10/11-12 at Northeastern
    10/25-26 vs. Bemidji State*
    11/1-2 vs. Ferris State*
    11/8-9 at Alaska-Anchorage*
    11/15-16 vs. St. Cloud State
    11/22-23 at Northern Michigan*
    11/29-30 at Shillelagh Tournament (Notre Dame)
    12/6-7 at Bowling Green*
    12/13-14 vs. Minnesota State*
    12/27-28 at Wisconsin
    1/3-4 vs. Bowling Green*
    1/10-11 at Notre Dame
    1/17-18 vs. Alaska-Anchorage*
    1/31-2/1 at Alaska*
    2/7-8 at Michigan Tech*
    2/14-15 at Minnesota State*
    2/21-22 vs. Lake Superior State*
    2/28-3/1 at Bemidji State*
    3/7-8 vs. Northern Michigan*
    3/14-16 WCHA First Round
    3/21-22 WCHA Final Five

Our recruits (via Chris Heisenberg):
    Brent Fletcher-RW Merritt (BCHL) 6' 190 5-9-92
    Brandon Carlson-LD Dubuque (USHL) 6' 170 6-15-92
    Brandon Clowes-LW Olds (AJHL) 6'1 180 4-10-92
    Wade Schools-D Springfield (EJHL) 6'3 215 -92
    Cody Marooney-RD Brookings (NAHL) 6' 185 7-7-92
    Matt Salhany-RW Boston Bandits (EJHL) 5'10 175 1-8-93
    Joakim Broberg-LW Linkoping Sweden 6'2 205 3-10-93
    Matt Larose-G Wellington (OJHL) 6'3 205 8-15-92
    Steve McKenna-LW NH Jr. Monarchs (EJHL) 6'2 175 4-21-93

Our new coach:
    http://uahchargers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=105&path=mhockey

October can't get here soon enough!
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Sebastien Geoffrion has a great time at Nashville Predators development camp:
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...tian-Geoffrion
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Kudos to you Charger fans who didn't give up on your team through those difficult times.
      This should be a great year for you. Good Luck in the WCHA!
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Obviously my career situation dictates what I can do, but given a chance, I want to either go to the Shillelagh or to BG the next weekend. I won't be able to afford more than one roadie this year no matter how things turn out, and I know that those are both makeable drives, as I've done both (although I've never gotten closer to BG than seeing their football stadium while motoring down I-75). Anyone planning to make any big trips?

One thing that I really like about the recruiting class is that few of them are over-age. Looks like some punch up front, some bodies in back, and a big kid in Larose in net. I'm ready to roll with these guys.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Obviously my career situation dictates what I can do, but given a chance, I want to either go to the Shillelagh or to BG the next weekend. I won't be able to afford more than one roadie this year no matter how things turn out, and I know that those are both makeable drives, as I've done both (although I've never gotten closer to BG than seeing their football stadium while motoring down I-75). Anyone planning to make any big trips?

One thing that I really like about the recruiting class is that few of them are over-age. Looks like some punch up front, some bodies in back, and a big kid in Larose in net. I'm ready to roll with these guys.

GFM
          BG is always an enjoyable trip. Nice town, terrific people and most teams stay within walking distance of the rink, with a Tim Hortons, BWW, Chipotle and Waffle House adjacent to the hotel. Plus the BG coach, Chris Bergeron has Alabama hockey ties, having played for the ECHL Birmingham Bulls from 1994-96. Notre Dame is pretty cool as well, especially if you are staying near the campus. For UAH fans looking at any of the road trips, feel free to ask for suggestions and/or recommendations, as I've been to all but Anchorage and Mankato. We may not be the league with the glam schools or glam cities, but these are all some pretty good towns with terrific fans that are more than willing to share the experience.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            BG is always an enjoyable trip. Nice town, terrific people and most teams stay within walking distance of the rink, with a Tim Hortons, BWW, Chipotle and Waffle House adjacent to the hotel. Plus the BG coach, Chris Bergeron has Alabama hockey ties, having played for the ECHL Birmingham Bulls from 1994-96. Notre Dame is pretty cool as well, especially if you are staying near the campus. For UAH fans looking at any of the road trips, feel free to ask for suggestions and/or recommendations, as I've been to all but Anchorage and Mankato. We may not be the league with the glam schools or glam cities, but these are all some pretty good towns with terrific fans that are more than willing to share the experience.
            I like to think of Our Fair Leagues as We're College Hockey Admirers. We wouldn't still be doing this if we didn't love the sport. It would be so much easier to let the big schools duke it out, but I don't see any quitters in this league.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
              You're playing us for Carny. I would highly recommend Tech as your road trip. If you get to Appleton on Friday by noon I'd even offer to drive you last 4 hours.
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                You're playing us for Carny. I would highly recommend Tech as your road trip. If you get to Appleton on Friday by noon I'd even offer to drive you last 4 hours.
                That's what I meant about fans being eager to share the experience. And Ambassador pizza and KBC beer are easily comparable to Alabama's Dreamland BBQ or a trip to Jim n Nicks!
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                  You're playing us for Carny. I would highly recommend Tech as your road trip.
                  This.

The carny experience is fun. Amateur snow statues you'd be hard pressed to see anywhere else on this continent. Two microbreweries (three if you have a car to get to Calumet). The outdoor broomball tourney.

In fact, I would make the drive to Houghton next year if gfmorris will.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    This.

The carny experience is fun. Amateur snow statues you'd be hard pressed to see anywhere else on this continent. Two microbreweries (three if you have a car to get to Calumet). The outdoor broomball tourney.

the Winter Carnival experience is certainly well worth it!

Comment

I have heard from a source that wishes to name anonymous that Gregg Gruehl will not be coming back. His offer was reportedly revoked under the KK regime. Can anyone back this up or confirm to the contrary? This would be a huge blow to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        This.

I'm planning on being there as well. Didn't make it last year, and I try to go every-other year.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

GFM
                          I recommend the bolded trip for completely altruistic and non-selfish reasons having nothing to do with living on the general route between Huntsville, Ala. and Bowling Green, Ohio.
                          UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                          2006 Time Person of the Year
                          Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                          It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

I would do Carny but for cost. If the money comes available, I'll consider doing it. One of my very good friends is a Tech alumnus, and he sounded a little giddy when he found out when we were making the trip.

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                            I recommend the bolded trip for completely altruistic and non-selfish reasons having nothing to do with living on the general route between Huntsville, Ala. and Bowling Green, Ohio.
                            You want to snuggle. I know it to be true. The question is to whether you can get free of all of your responsibilities. I can only hope.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Not even one page into feeling like a real D1 program again and already here comes the snuggling.

Comment

Working...
                              X