UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Interesting that we're continuing to recruit for next season. I have heard from a very reliable source that I will keep anonymous that there are 4-5 additional players looking at options and considering leaving after this season. Saulnier's commitment is indicative of this.

I hope no one big is leaving and that there is no inner turmoil within the ranks. We do, however, have a lot to be excited about with some of these incoming recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
      Interesting that we're continuing to recruit for next season. I have heard from a very reliable source that I will keep anonymous that there are 4-5 additional players looking at options and considering leaving after this season. Saulnier's commitment is indicative of this.

I hope no one big is leaving and that there is no inner turmoil within the ranks. We do, however, have a lot to be excited about with some of these incoming recruits.
      You have 26 guys on the roster now: 3 G, 8 D, and 15 F; that's a number that many coaches like. Pretty much everyone carries 3 goalies. Coaches like to have 8 D since it makes a nice even number for practices (if you're doing scrimmages). You lose 4 seniors: 2 F, 1 G, and 1 D. Heisenberg has Knight (D) coming in 2015 while College Hockey Inc shows him coming this Fall. If College Hockey Inc is correct, Knight will replace your graduating D. If Heisenberg is right, you'll probably recruit another D for next season. You'll also need to bring in a 3rd goalie (maybe a recruited walk). Both Heisenberg and College Hockey Inc are showing you have 5 F recruits for next season. Since you only have 2 Senior F, it makes sense that you'll probably have some underclassmen that don't return. That's just the condition that your program is in now with all the rebuilding that is needed. There's nothing preventing you from carrying more players on the roster, but that splits up the 18 scholarships more thinly and means more guys sitting out each game (and willing to take smaller pieces of a scholarship). Not sure what your coach's philosophy on roster sizes is, but 26 is the size you've got now so maybe that's the number he likes also. Some teams carry larger roster sizes, just look at MTU, but you have to wonder what kids are thinking when committing there; they must think it's another guy that will have to sit and not themselves, and that they'll show themselves deserving of a bigger piece of a scholarship than the other guy.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        I don't know the specifics of their situations (Geof might), but I try to keep the uahhockey.com roster matching uahchargers.com roster. I've taken off Alex Carpenter -- thanks for noticing that.
        I figured that we were leaving Alex on because he was sitting out a transfer year.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
          Here are the school records broken last night:
          Team:
          Most saves, modern D-I era: 61 (all-time record is 62)
          The reason that Michael is tracking this one is because of the first Wisconsin game where Matt had that cut that got sewn up during most of the second period by Dr. Methuselah McSlowPants, M.D. 30 saw 25 SOG in the first period, and that was easily on the way to Clarke Saunders territory, but Carmine was going to have seen a lot of saves. As such, we decided to track team saves in case we had a game like Saturday night but had one of the players sub in for the other for injury or rally-the-troops reasons, although Corbs seems unlikely to do that.

I won't be surprised if there's turnover in the locker room after the season. That's bound to happen when you have a heavy roster on a struggling team with a first-year coach playing another (four) guy's players.

GFM

[Remember, all of the seniors were recruited by Cole.]
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            You have 26 guys on the roster now: 3 G, 8 D, and 15 F; that's a number that many coaches like. Pretty much everyone carries 3 goalies. Coaches like to have 8 D since it makes a nice even number for practices (if you're doing scrimmages). You lose 4 seniors: 2 F, 1 G, and 1 D. Heisenberg has Knight (D) coming in 2015 while College Hockey Inc shows him coming this Fall. If College Hockey Inc is correct, Knight will replace your graduating D. If Heisenberg is right, you'll probably recruit another D for next season. You'll also need to bring in a 3rd goalie (maybe a recruited walk). Both Heisenberg and College Hockey Inc are showing you have 5 F recruits for next season. Since you only have 2 Senior F, it makes sense that you'll probably have some underclassmen that don't return. That's just the condition that your program is in now with all the rebuilding that is needed. There's nothing preventing you from carrying more players on the roster, but that splits up the 18 scholarships more thinly and means more guys sitting out each game (and willing to take smaller pieces of a scholarship). Not sure what your coach's philosophy on roster sizes is, but 26 is the size you've got now so maybe that's the number he likes also. Some teams carry larger roster sizes, just look at MTU, but you have to wonder what kids are thinking when committing there; they must think it's another guy that will have to sit and not themselves, and that they'll show themselves deserving of a bigger piece of a scholarship than the other guy.
            I haven't discussed with Mike about his ideal roster size. I wouldn't be surprised to see some recruits listed as 2015 that end up coming 2014.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

AJHL news release on your latest recruit:

http://ajhl.ca/media-centre/news-arc...ml?newsID=4474

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                AJHL news release on your latest recruit:

http://ajhl.ca/media-centre/news-arc...ml?newsID=4474
                Thanks!

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH vs Lake State this weekend....I like UAH's chances of getting a win this weekend....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                    UAH vs Lake State this weekend....I like UAH's chances of getting a win this weekend....
                    Saturday night's all right for fighting.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Hey Huntsville, in case you haven't heard......

WE HATE YOU!!!!!

(this week anyway, next week we will need your help)
                      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

WE HATE YOU!!!!!

Ditto for UAA with the exception we have been pulling for you ever since we were down there.
                        But not to worry....it's only a sports hate.....not a hatred.
                        It's a new day and a great day to be a Seawolf!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

WE HATE YOU!!!!!

I can't say I'm looking forward to this series.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Great article on the Chargers in the New York Times:
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/sp...avel-team.html
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

As I told Michael today, we sure do get a lot of good press while being this bad ...

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X