UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Any Huntsville fans making the trip to Northern Michigan?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Any Huntsville fans making the trip to Northern Michigan?
      If only.

GFM <— enjoyed Marquette the last time he was there for hockey.
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Very excited to see another commit in Joey Marooney brother of current freshmen forward Cody. Does anyone know if he is committed for 2014-2015? Doing a little research on the kid, he's listed at 5'8 165, was born in 96, and plays for Team Southwest in Upper Midwest HS Elite League (arguably the best high school hockey league in the U.S. Each team essentially has their roster filled with the best players from certain areas of MN, ND, and WI) and for Holy Family Catholic. Neat to have two brothers playing together at UAH. Perhaps this signing indicates the opening of another pipeline into prestigious MN High School Hockey.

We can steal away some really good players from the more established programs who want these MN kids to play a year or two of junior before coming to school by offering them to come in right away. Ivy League schools in the ECAC have been successfully doing it for years. Great to see.

Comment

I'm not sure. I'd guess 14-15. I can ask via Twitter. The early NLI window closed on Wednesday, and Athletics told me that you only sign NLIs for guys coming in the next school year, which is why they hadn't seen anything on Teddy Rotenberger (15-16 at the earliest). We know that Max McHugh signed his NLI from a twitpic (and I confirmed that with an unnamed source in Athletics). I don't have a handle on Knight, Smits, or Marooney. I do know that Athletics plans on doing a press release about McHugh and whoever else has signed NLIs, either late this week or early next. I'd bet on the latter.

GFM <— hoping that MN pipeline is cracked open, too...
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
            Very excited to see another commit in Joey Marooney brother of current freshmen forward Cody. Does anyone know if he is committed for 2014-2015? Doing a little research on the kid, he's listed at 5'8 165, was born in 96, and plays for Team Southwest in Upper Midwest HS Elite League (arguably the best high school hockey league in the U.S. Each team essentially has their roster filled with the best players from certain areas of MN, ND, and WI) and for Holy Family Catholic. Neat to have two brothers playing together at UAH. Perhaps this signing indicates the opening of another pipeline into prestigious MN High School Hockey.

We can steal away some really good players from the more established programs who want these MN kids to play a year or two of junior before coming to school by offering them to come in right away. Ivy League schools in the ECAC have been successfully doing it for years. Great to see.
            The Heisenberg site is showing a new recruit for 2015 or 2016:
            Russian Ivan Bondarenko-LW (5'9 150 6/25/97) plays for West Sound (NPHL)

http://norpacleague.stats.pointstrea...seasonid=11546

http://www.pointstreaksites.com/view...ews/news_99557

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3OWNJZVE#gid=0

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              I'm not sure. I'd guess 14-15. I can ask via Twitter. The early NLI window closed on Wednesday, and Athletics told me that you only sign NLIs for guys coming in the next school year, which is why they hadn't seen anything on Teddy Rotenberger (15-16 at the earliest). We know that Max McHugh signed his NLI from a twitpic (and I confirmed that with an unnamed source in Athletics). I don't have a handle on Knight, Smits, or Marooney. I do know that Athletics plans on doing a press release about McHugh and whoever else has signed NLIs, either late this week or early next. I'd bet on the latter.

College Hockey Inc.'s commitments Twitter says Joey's committed for 2015-16: https://***********/hockeycommits/st...73555176042496

Also, Chris Dilks has him listed among the top seniors in Minnesota:
              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high...-november-2013
              Last edited by UAHStatman; 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM. Reason: Added link to Dilks' Minnesota HS list
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

We better get a crew out to patch that up!
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                  We better get a crew out to patch that up!
                  I'd be worried if Bemidji had an engineering program ...

I've noticed that, after skewing for 6-plus guys under Luongo and Kleinendorst, these kids coming in are mostly under 6-foot. Bondarenko is certainly young enough to get a few inches taller, but if we can get guys who put pucks in the net, I don't care if they're smaller than Rocco Grimaldi. It's also great to see that we're picking up some kids before they go play in Tier I or Tier II. Sure, it's risky, but I trust our coaches' eyes.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'd be worried if Bemidji had an engineering program ...

I've noticed that, after skewing for 6-plus guys under Luongo and Kleinendorst, these kids coming in are mostly under 6-foot. Bondarenko is certainly young enough to get a few inches taller, but if we can get guys who put pucks in the net, I don't care if they're smaller than Rocco Grimaldi. It's also great to see that we're picking up some kids before they go play in Tier I or Tier II. Sure, it's risky, but I trust our coaches' eyes.

GFM
                    Interesting topic that I've been too lazy to research - Is college hockey getting "smaller"? There's been a lot of talk about "the BC model" of smaller, faster players, and this year the Gophers brought in Cammarata and Kloos, who might have been deemed too small in days past (They also brought in Fasching, who's decent sized and plays even bigger, so maybe this is more anecdotal than fact-based.)
                    Does the college game better lend itself to smaller players, while bigger guys can use their size and strength (and fighting abilities) in Canada? Anyway, not specifically a UAH question, but when you noted that your coach is skewing smaller, I wondered if it isn't part of a trend.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      Interesting topic that I've been too lazy to research - Is college hockey getting "smaller"? There's been a lot of talk about "the BC model" of smaller, faster players, and this year the Gophers brought in Cammarata and Kloos, who might have been deemed too small in days past (They also brought in Fasching, who's decent sized and plays even bigger, so maybe this is more anecdotal than fact-based.)
                      Does the college game better lend itself to smaller players, while bigger guys can use their size and strength (and fighting abilities) in Canada? Anyway, not specifically a UAH question, but when you noted that your coach is skewing smaller, I wondered if it isn't part of a trend.
                      That would take a lot of data, but it's there. Let's see: height-weight pairs matched with G-A—P, +/- (which we really don't have in college hockey stats), GAA, SV% ... check overall trends (height-weight pairs) at D, C, W, and G, all matched with performance ... sounds like a project for someone more interested in it than I am.

GFM <— has enough unfinished projects as it is.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        I would say yes, and add that hockey, in general, I think is/will get smaller. With all the rules coming down the pipe regarding contact, hooking, holding, interefence, etc., I think speed is becoming a bigger commodity that size. Of course the skill set is the #1 thing, but size isn't as big of an asset as is once was.

Plus, in order to hit someone, you have to catch them first!!!
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

But speaking of bigger guys: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/21/doug-reid/
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Anyone know who all made the trip up to Northern Michigan? I looked in the picture and saw the obvious guys, but I'm interested to see all the guys who made the trip. It'll go a long way in seeing how Corbett and the coaching staff view the roster/depth chart at this point. Also got to wonder if and when Larose or Guerriero will claim the top tender spot. Both have had their good games and bad. Larose probably has the upper hand going into this weekend considering his performance this past Saturday.

I think Regan Soquila, Matt Salhany, and Chad Brears have the potential to be legitimate threats in this league. Hopefully we continue to see their development trending upwards.

Also good to see the young Russian committing to UAH. Getting commits years in advance is the best way to build a program. You see it time and again with the big schools getting guys to commit when they're young and they come in and make an immediate impact.

Well, there's my two cents. Hope we can get that elusive first win this weekend.

Comment

I tried to pick out faces, but I'm still getting the new guys stuck in my head. That said, there were a good chunk of freshmen on the trip. We'll probably see the two skaters who sat tonight in the game tomorrow and I expect that Guerriero will be in net. Matt looked good, and the stat sheet likes him, but I thought that he could've had the third goal, even though it was a high-quality chance. Clarke Saunders stops that one, I think, but I'm looking at him from a two-year stint, where Larose has six GP on his resume. He didn't shut the Wildcats down like, say, Guerriero against Bemidji, a performance that got him the next start.

Fletcher continues to catch my eye, and I know that Corbett is high on him having seen him in game action. He also mentioned Reinhardt in this weeks The Tradition Continues video, but I've always liked the way that he plays, and he's progressed again from last year to this one.

I like our chances on Saturday night.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Cam is slated to be in net tonight in Nashville.
                                http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/44...t#.UpD29ifhGSo
                                We have tickets ( 105 HH ).
                                http://www.vividseats.com/nhl-hockey...3-1459994.html

Comment

Working...
                                X