UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2013-14: Feeling like a real D-I program again

Coach confirmed at lunch that Carmine Guerriero will get the start tonight. Whoever is in net, the boys have to keep the team defense solid on Friday night. Limit the Grade A chances and let the goalie make a save when you have to.

In looking at the line chart, Ferris is a small team. If they're fast, they'll probably beat us to some pucks, but if it becomes a struggle-fest, I think that we have the upper hand. Only one defenseman in the lineup (Zach Dorer) is taller than 5'10". Huff-Kane-Adams is a big line for them, but they don't have lot of guys past Justin DeMartino that will give Anderson White a physical time of things. I'd look for Carlson and White to get a lot of time against those two lines, with them probably getting the edge against Kane's line while letting Strukoff and Reinhardt get some of the top minutes. From a size perspective, Koshey and Misuraca will get some time against forwards closer to their size, which should leave them fresher to weave their offensive magic. When everything is going right, our strength is our D-corps.

I just want to see a better team defensive effort tonight and a few 5x5 goals.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Man. Exciting, yes, and another nice rebound from a disastrous Friday, but...gah!
      http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/02...state-3-uah-2/

Oh, well. Keep plugging.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

See, Larose isn't terrible.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH is heading to Alaska for the first time in 20 years, so I wrote a piece for uahhockey.com about the time this was a regular thing.

A volcanic eruption is involved.

http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/06...last-frontier/
          Michael Napier - UAH '97
          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Dumb penalties, poor puck possession, and atrocious penalty kills ended the boys' chances on Saturday night. I try to not be critical of our student-athletes, but what I just wrote isn't anything that they don't already know. I see them getting better in spots — that first period last night as good, even though I don't think that was a goal for us — but man, that third was hard to watch. I still have hope that it will get better.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I did not get to see anything but listened to Saturday's game. I think RULE #1 should be Stay out of the box. Has the team's conditioning improved since season start or do they still seem a bit "winded" by the end of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                I did not get to see anything but listened to Saturday's game. I think RULE #1 should be Stay out of the box. Has the team's conditioning improved since season start or do they still seem a bit "winded" by the end of the game?
                I don't know. This series was odd in that we got blown out on Saturday instead of Friday. I would think if they were getting winded at the end this would be the rule and not the exception, even if the series was in Alaska.

This still amazes me: UAH has had four leads this season in eight games for a total of 3 minutes and 9 seconds. That means the opponent ties the game up an average of just 47 seconds after UAH takes the lead. There's got to be a lesson in there, too.
                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Geof wrote this article interviewing our seniors, and how the instability of the past four years has affected them.
                  http://uahhockey.com/blog/2013/11/12/2013-14-seniors/

This weekend the boys host St. Cloud State. At No. 3, the Huskies will be the highest-ranked Division I team to ever visit Huntsville. And, of course, Nic Dowd's coming home.

Promos: FRIDAY -- Kids 12 and under get in free with a canned food item. SATURDAY -- First 1,000 fans get a pair of UAH Chargers thundersticks.

St. Cloud State coach Bob Motzko will be the guest at the Blue Line Club luncheon at the Varsity Hall at Spragins Hall. Friday at noon, $8 at the door, free if you're a BLC member.

Spread the word, y'all!
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                    It's better, but that's something that's hard to improve mid-season. That said, I think it was a mental thing in those first two weekends.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

So we're 1-36-1 in our last 38 D-I contests. But if you want to feel better, one of the two 11-12 wins was against Denver, who we had no business beating.

Okay, everyone go back to crying in your beer.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        So we're 1-36-1 in our last 38 D-I contests. But if you want to feel better, one of the two 11-12 wins was against Denver, who we had no business beating.

Okay, everyone go back to crying in your beer.

GFM
                        Keep your head up Chargers. I think SCSU fans know that we owe UAH a debt of gratitude. UAH had a major influence in our Captain Nic Dowd. Without UAH hockey, we might be missing one hell of a hockey player and even a better person from our roster. For those that do not realize the value of DI hockey at smaller or in non-traditional hockey markets, take note. Such programs have a huge impact at the grass roots level.

Charger hockey has been in some rough waters in recent times. Hope to see your program smooth sailing in the near future.

Comment

If you were watching from Minnesota, I want to apologize for my broadcast. I should have been in bed watching along with you.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Cam Talbot shut out Montreal tonight 1-0; first Rangers shut out in Montreal since 1967.

Comment

Saturday's game was just fun, despite the loss. Of course, anything compared to Friday would be fun. The Chargers made some plays and Matt Larose was great. It was nice to also see Regan Soquila and Stephen McKenna find the net.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

If the boys had pulled that one off, I would have been banned from the arena (I was sick) and from watching the games (I was too tired to focus; see also: sick). I'm kinda glad that didn't happen, but "the worst team in college hockey" knocking off #3/4 would've been so, so sweet.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X