Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 Year Old Ontario Hockey Player Charged With On Ice Assault...It's About Tme!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year Old Ontario Hockey Player Charged With On Ice Assault...It's About Tme!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...g-charges.html

Re: 16 Year Old Ontario Hockey Player Charged With On Ice Assault...It's About Tme!

We can police our own!!!!! Keep law enforcement off the ice! In the rink, or even the locker room,aybe, but on the ice, NO!!!

Comment

Re: 16 Year Old Ontario Hockey Player Charged With On Ice Assault...It's About Tme!

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
      We can police our own!!!!! Keep law enforcement off the ice! In the rink, or even the locker room,aybe, but on the ice, NO!!!
      I defy you to find me anywhere in the legal code that it provides an exemption to battery laws for people that are playing sports.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        If we were policing our own, incidents like this would be a rarity.

Goalies should be protected. Spraying / Snowing a goalie in the face is one of those fuzzy areas. I don't think it's in the rulebooks of USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, or the NHL. Does the referee have discretion to call an unsportsmanlike or goalie interference? I think so, but you rarely see it called. It's cheap, and it should be called. If it were called more you wouldn't have teams that take out players--they'd let the officials handle it. And coaches that don't like playing short-handed would get their players to stop spraying the goalie.

Having said that, in an environment where snowing the goalie doesn't get called, I could understand the defender applying a body check to clear the offending attacker.

But it's inexcusable come in with a hard cross-check to the head, then to pull off his helmet while he's down, and start wailing away. It's a crime on the street, as well as on the ice. Since "we" have utterly failed to police the game better, I hope we see more charges & lawsuits filed until Hockey Canada and USA Hockey finally get it. Not that I want to see this, but it's pretty clear that "we" aren't policing the game. It's going to take some criminal convictions and big money law suits to wake people up. Everyone involved--officials, coaches, players, & parents--need to push to get the illegal stuff out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
          If we were policing our own, incidents like this would be a rarity.

Goalies should be protected. Spraying / Snowing a goalie in the face is one of those fuzzy areas. I don't think it's in the rulebooks of USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, or the NHL. Does the referee have discretion to call an unsportsmanlike or goalie interference? I think so, but you rarely see it called. It's cheap, and it should be called. If it were called more you wouldn't have teams that take out players--they'd let the officials handle it. And coaches that don't like playing short-handed would get their players to stop spraying the goalie.

Having said that, in an environment where snowing the goalie doesn't get called, I could understand the defender applying a body check to clear the offending attacker.

But it's inexcusable come in with a hard cross-check to the head, then to pull off his helmet while he's down, and start wailing away. It's a crime on the street, as well as on the ice. Since "we" have utterly failed to police the game better, I hope we see more charges & lawsuits filed until Hockey Canada and USA Hockey finally get it. Not that I want to see this, but it's pretty clear that "we" aren't policing the game. It's going to take some criminal convictions and big money law suits to wake people up. Everyone involved--officials, coaches, players, & parents--need to push to get the illegal stuff out of the game.
          I'm not saying it's right or wrong...but it's a slippery slope.

You think criminal convictions will change things...but is that kid really a criminal? Or maybe just someone who grew up being told (and shown, let's not forget) that in hockey when someone does something you don't approve of you start pounding on them?

Was this excessive? Absolutely. Would the kid have done it on the street? Probably not. Should he have done it on the rink? No. But in the context of the game when you've been shown for years that this is acceptable behavior sometimes lines can get blurred, especially to a kid. But before we start throwing people in jail for things like this maybe we should do something completely insane like just remove fighting from hockey at all levels all together?

Comment

What does this have to do with women's college hockey?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
              Yeah because there is SO much else going on that is being interrupted by this discussion.

Comment

Powers &8^]
                Certainly a bit more, I would think, than a poll on who's going to win the Stanley Cup...not that I minded.

Relatively speaking, fighting in women's hockey is rare however I've seen some very serious altercations that might be close to the clip that I posted above. I recall, as I've mentioned a few years ago, a major dustup between UND and UMD in which Kelly (first name or last?) for UND jumped on top of UMD's Emanuel Blais and started wailing away like she was possessed...the play by play guy even incredulously and emotionally commented something to the effect that "Kelly has gone absolutely berserk" or "Kelly has completely lost it"...but you get the idea.

Blais eventually struggled to her feet and could not stand on her own although she tried to make it to the bench...but had to be helped off the ice. To see her legs shake and the look of disorientation emanating from her body language as she tried to stand, about 15 feet away from the bench, was upsetting. All because someone didn't have her emotions in check.

And who can forget the UND-MSU rhubarb?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAehXzjG0w

Comment

Powers &8^]
                  Nothing directly, but fights do happen in girls hockey. Here is one from a Midget AA game from a few years ago that generated a lot of discussion in Ontario.

Comment

Nothing compared to this gem.....

Is this stuff really as likely to happen if it hasn't been glorified in the NHL for 100 years?

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                      Is this stuff really as likely to happen if it hasn't been glorified in the NHL for 100 years?
                      Excellent point.

The video reminds me of the Canada - Russia junior game around 25 years ago which was literally a lights out event... a pier 7 brawl. Never seen anything like it. Don Cherry was commentating afterwards as I recall and it was quite memorable. Which just reminds me why I have almost no interest in men's hockey and enjoy the women's game...a lot less nonsense in the women's game which makes it a purer form of the game.

Here's that video...
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZMEE7tlq6A

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                        ... But before we start throwing people in jail for things like this maybe we should do something completely insane like just remove fighting from hockey at all levels all together?
                        Exactly! My frustration is that the collective "we" (parents, players, officials, and governing bodies) don't have the cajones to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
                          Exactly! My frustration is that the collective "we" (parents, players, officials, and governing bodies) don't have the cajones to do just that.
                          If we did have the "cajones" we would make the argument alot less complicated when, and I repeat, when, this type of incident happened again. We would eliminate the "it's part of the game" rationilazation that always seems to present itself.
                          ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                            If we did have the "cajones" we would make the argument alot less complicated when, and I repeat, when, this type of incident happened again. We would eliminate the "it's part of the game" rationilazation that always seems to present itself.
                            Has nothing to do with fighting being part of the game. Just another bonehead who can't control his emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              Has nothing to do with fighting being part of the game. Just another bonehead who can't control his emotions.
                              It was more of a reference to the argument that this story has created by some who feel that "it is just part of the game". Some of the forum debates are pretty sad.
                              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Working...
                              X