X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    All true. But I was just commenting on the unbelievable about of money floating around in major league sports. There was a time when baseball players needed to sell jocks and cups in the off season to make ends meet. Not any more.
    Thank you Rip Van Winkle!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Do you not like the mountaineer? I think it's pretty good, though the other two are very bad.
      All of the mascot options are a joke. They still show the school's complete disregard for the wishes of the supporters. Oh well.
      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
        Thank you Rip Van Winkle!!
        Yaaaaawn [stretches, rubs eyes] wha?
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
          All of the mascot options are a joke. They still show the school's complete disregard for the wishes of the supporters. Oh well.
          Right on the nose. It's the utter contempt with which the administration has proceeded that is the principal sin here. At the end of the day, we won't turn our backs on DU athletics because they choose a bunny on steroids to be the new mascot. It's completely disregarding students and alumni on this matter, then pretending they didn't. It's appointing a committee of house mice whose deliberations in one key area were known in advance: no consideration of retaining Boone. It's the insulting suggestion that "some" students don't like Boone for whatever reasons without telling us how many or how those opinions were gathered.

If the administration had been straight forward and honest: we're changing the mascot for these reasons. Many (most?) of us would have disagreed, but we'd get over it. But the subterfuge, condescension and outright dishonesty of this process is what sticks in my craw. This is not the DU I've spent 35 years and more supporting and working for.

Comment

I don't know, people. The roster is looking stronger and stronger. Paired with the schedule, new coach, new game plans....I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised when Merrimack and Alaska come around. All this mascot chatter may be put to silence by the very guys who play the game. I think DU is going to pretty be good. It is very realistic to see DU sweeping UNO and being atop the NCHC my Monday November 3rd. I am very comfortable with this team, here on the 4th of July. In years past, quite honestly, I have not felt the same.
            I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

UOTE=32 Degrees!;5746679]I don't know, people. The roster is looking stronger and stronger. Paired with the schedule, new coach, new game plans....I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised when Merrimack and Alaska come around. All this mascot chatter may be put to silence by the very guys who play the game. I think DU is going to pretty be good. It is very realistic to see DU sweeping UNO and being atop the NCHC my Monday November 3rd. I am very comfortable with this team, here on the 4th of July. In years past, quite honestly, I have not felt the same.[/QUOTE]

Optimism. . .it's what's for dinner. And if you can't be optimistic on the 4th of July, when can you be optimistic?

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                I don't know, people. The roster is looking stronger and stronger. Paired with the schedule, new coach, new game plans....I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised when Merrimack and Alaska come around. All this mascot chatter may be put to silence by the very guys who play the game. I think DU is going to pretty be good. It is very realistic to see DU sweeping UNO and being atop the NCHC my Monday November 3rd. I am very comfortable with this team, here on the 4th of July. In years past, quite honestly, I have not felt the same.

I agree totally. Monty will coach the kids well. Lots of experience returns. Kids will get better. Good recruits. NCAA's definitely in reach.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                  I agree totally. Monty will coach the kids well. Lots of experience returns. Kids will get better. Good recruits. NCAA's definitely in reach.
                  With only 2 seniors on the team, the 7 juniors will have to show leadership and back it up with high performance. Possible a sophomore could wear a letter this year.
                  Drew Shore and Matt Carle were both Co-Captains as juniors.

Five Freshmen now on the roster:
                  #7 Will Butcher
                  #29 Brad Hawkinson
                  #26 Evan Janssen
                  #6 Matt VanVoorhiis
                  and sharing #8 with Nolan Zajac is Trevor Moore
                  Last edited by vizoroo; 07-04-2013, 05:27 PM.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    Right on the nose. It's the utter contempt with which the administration has proceeded that is the principal sin here. At the end of the day, we won't turn our backs on DU athletics because they choose a bunny on steroids to be the new mascot.
                    When this whole fiasco started and before the Gang of 76 came up with their suggestions, I thought, what would be the most ridiculous mascots to coincide with their "inclusiveness" and ambiguity? And my 2nd choice was a jackalope

One of the defenders, Mr. Vasquez, of the Mascot change pointed out that Boone was not representative of his forefathers who would have come across the Atlantic from Spain or were members of the indigenous tribes. (His words not mine.)
                    As I recall the first Spaniards were the Conquistadors who basically slaughtered, enslaved or brought illnesses that decimated the indigenous tribes.
                    And he resented the image portrayed by Boone????
                    Instead he is fine with the image of a mythical, horned, blood sucking "bunny on steroids."
                    Last edited by vizoroo; 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM.
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      When this whole fiasco started and before the Gang of 76 came up with their suggestions, I thought, what would be the most ridiculous mascots to coincide with their "inclusiveness" and ambiguity? And my 2nd choice was a jackalope

One of the defenders, Mr. Vasquez, of the Mascot change pointed out that Boone was not representative of his forefathers who would have come across the Atlantic from Spain or were members of the indigenous tribes. (His words not mine.)
                      As I recall the first Spaniards were the Conquistadors who basically slaughtered, enslaved or brought illnesses that decimated the indigenous tribes.
                      And he resented the image portrayed by Boone????
                      Instead he is fine with the image of a mythical, horned, blood sucking "bunny on steroids."
                      The core value of PC is the avoidance of giving offense. In the abstract, not a bad idea. But any abstractly good idea can be distorted by obsessive do-gooders whose principal accomplishment becomes empowering those who are the most easily offended. Allowing those "offended" to leverage their hurt feelings for advantages against the majority. Thus, two or three students who were denied participation in that video (because they were "offended" and were doubtless planning to sabotage it) become the story, rather than the 200 who actually did show up and take part. Similarly, a microscopic group of students are "offended" (my guess, the exact same kids) by Boone and the administration feels obliged to dispense with him, lest some potential Third World applicants become "offended" too. The phrase "tyranny of the minority" comes to mind. Aided and abetted, as is customary, by the usual suspects.

It will, however, be hugely entertaining to read the tortured language used to explain that any of these hideous proposed mascots are, in fact, "Pioneers."
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 07-05-2013, 03:19 AM.

Comment

@Bozie42 is getting a lot of attention.

Tyler Bozak is one of a few centers in play for a lot of teams and while Toronto continues to look at re-signing him, Pierre LeBrun reports there is interest from Dallas, St. Louis, Calgary, Anaheim and Detroit-- he'd do 5-yr deal or more.
                        http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...e-agency-opens
                        Looks like Bozie will be taking his boyz to Vegas again this summer with his new found riches
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Bozie 5 years - $21 million, nice, he is set for life.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            Bozie 5 years - $21 million, nice, he is set for life.
                            Kessel tweeted "he's happy his buddy will be back. "
                            Leaf's Bert and Ernie are still together.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Here's some DU news not likely to be included in house-mouse publications. After a flap from the PC crowd about a proposed award for President Bush, DU is "considering alternatives." So that makes two instances of "alternative considering."

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/05/de...george-w-bush/

Comment

Chris Butler resigned with Calgary. $1.7 mil 1 year contract
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X