X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Nick Shore scores on Jussi Olkinuora!
    http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/ne...?article_id=72

BTW that was Nick's first AHL goal. And "Shoresy" was cited for having the best Halloween costume by some teammates.
    Last edited by vizoroo; 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Football playoffs begin tonight, so I'll be watching Oak Park's first round game. I'll be JIP the scoring thread and hope the usual gaggle of reprobates won't disappoint and have the Pioneers safely in front by the time I catch up.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
        bump!!!
        Pretty sad nowadays that this thread has to be bumped. The University of Denver has essentially alienated everyone that has cared about the program. There are a lot of fences to be mended however, this administration seems intent on letting them rot.
        Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
          Pretty sad nowadays that this thread has to be bumped. The University of Denver has essentially alienated everyone that has cared about the program. There are a lot of fences to be mended however, this administration seems intent on letting them rot.
          It's almost like they've got a check list. Let's see: invite back the '68 & '69 national championship teams then don't honor them on the ice during homecoming. Check.

Keep that g.d. jelly donut in our locker room. Check.

Don't honor Masterton and Magnuson. Check

Threaten the kid in the Boone costume. Check.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            It's almost like they've got a check list. Let's see: invite back the '68 & '69 national championship teams then don't honor them on the ice during homecoming. Check.

Keep that g.d. jelly donut in our locker room. Check.

Don't honor Masterton and Magnuson. Check

Threaten the kid in the Boone costume. Check.
            Put words in students' mouths to pass the blame on the $100k mascot debacle: Check.

Have a spokesperson state, without much paraphrasing, that "alumni don't matter": Check.

All in the same sentence, no less:

"Alumni are great and needed and incredible supporters of our athletic events, but the current student body wants a mascot to call their own. I think that is really important."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2341654...ns-suppressed-
            Last edited by HoosierPioneer; 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM.
            University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
            Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
              Slightly doomy and gloomy, dubbie. There is some alienation. But I don't think that DU's stance on Boone is lessening input here, or affecting attendance at games much. How many people wouldn't attend a hockey game based solely on a mascot issue--maybe 100...200 at the very most?

Or are you referring to Gwoz's firing? If so, that HAS affected excitement around the program. Frankly, it's weird not having Gwoz behind the bench. The DU community hasn't had a chance to connect with Montgomery yet, and losing to Canisius, etc. is not going to put butts in the seats or generate excitement about DU hockey.

It's just a strange time for the program. Hopefully Montgomery strings some wins together and the excitement will return.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                Slightly doomy and gloomy, dubbie. There is some alienation. But I don't think that DU's stance on Boone is lessening input here, or affecting attendance at games much. How many people wouldn't attend a hockey game based solely on a mascot issue--maybe 100...200 at the very most?

Or are you referring to Gwoz's firing? If so, that HAS affected excitement around the program. Frankly, it's weird not having Gwoz behind the bench. The DU community hasn't had a chance to connect with Montgomery yet, and losing to Canisius, etc. is not going to put butts in the seats or generate excitement about DU hockey.

It's just a strange time for the program. Hopefully Montgomery strings some wins together and the excitement will return.
                Probably the most accurate way to describe things right now in terms of the larger population. It's just all intertwined when you're connected to the University in any other way. And so little of it has to do with the specifics, but the messages that are being sent.
                University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

It's a combination of things. Just like Old Pio listed. This is a program that should be on TV EVERY HOME GAME....instead it seems they follow the business model of Bill Wurtz. This is a program that should have an established top level coach...they had one and sacked him.
                  Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                  www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                    Probably the most accurate way to describe things right now in terms of the larger population. It's just all intertwined when you're connected to the University in any other way. And so little of it has to do with the specifics, but the messages that are being sent.
                    Strange times, indeed. DU seems rather tone-deaf lately. Honestly, who is more important to impress--some faculty member that's gung ho on the "inclusive excellence" BS, or the alumni that actually care about and contribute to the school?

OK, now you guys got me on the doom and gloom. Hockey tonight--go DU, kick some butt tonight!!!

Comment

When's the last time DU was under .500? The season is young, but still, strange times...

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Well, didn't have to go back as far as I thought. In 2010 we started out 1-2-1.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                          Well, didn't have to go back as far as I thought. In 2010 we started out 1-2-1.
                          Somehow I don't feel any better.

Comment

Here's something to clap about - We had an errant puck on our side; laser-guided into the DU bench, which had Monty doing the classic "duck and cover" move. He did toss it over the glass to a little kid and we gave him a nice little round of applause. Less than 4500 people attended? I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see any sellouts; except for when You know who and you know who come to play us. Nice 1/2 advertising LED board though; certainly eye catching. Too bad it doesn't circle all the way around like in alot of arenas. But, I hear that's in the future expansion plans for the press box side of the arena? Ummmmm.... yeah I don't see that happening. Ever.

On a positive note - both you know who and you know who also lost - so it's easier to take
                            I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Well, let's see, DU's administration has worked diligently and successfully to alienate various sectors of its fanbase...the forwards can't score....there's an unhealthy overreliance on scoring from the blue line...Steve Miller will be leaving shortly...the Johnny-Come-Lately Denver hockey program has failed to compete against the college hockey powers which are Nebraska-Omaha and Canisius...the decision to dismiss George Gwozdecky seems to be working splendidly...the Pioneers have choked on their own vomit in Magness versus the Mavericks and Golden Griffins and haven't yet played Saint Cloud, Miami or North Dakota on the road...actual attendance at last night's game was in the thirty-five to thirty-eight hundred range with next to no student body presence...and in the background I think I hear the estimable Kevin Bacon saying, "Thank you sir may I have another? Thank you sir may I have another?"
                              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                                Nice 1/2 advertising LED board though; certainly eye catching.
                                For those of you watching Piovision, does the advertising ribbon reflect off the ice? Speaking of advertisements on that ribbon, nice to see that Monty's DUI attorneys have become sponsors of DU hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X