X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
    Ah, gotcha.
    If you’re going make it through the season listening to Monty, you’ll need a Cliché to English translator. Google does an adequate job but I prefer Durham Bull - Life Lessons by Crash Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
      If you’re going make it through the season listening to Monty, you’ll need a Cliché to English translator. Google does an adequate job but I prefer Durham Bull - Life Lessons by Crash Davis.

Where does Gwoz speak fall?
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Yes, there is a game thread for the Pioneers NCHC opener.
        http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...C-Season-Begin
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post

Gwoz was a class act even in the worst of times.
          http://www.denverpost.com/du/ci_2292...cked-by-firing
          http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16503319

Comment

Nominated for NCHC Honors
            Offensive Player of the Week
            Quentin Shore, So., F, Denver – Totaled three points on the weekend, scoring a goal in each game while also recording an assist in Friday’s win over Niagara as the two points tied a career high

Defenseman of the Week
            David Makowski, Sr., D, Denver – Tallied a career-high three points in Friday’s win over Niagara, including a career-best two goals, one of which was the game-winner, while blocking three shots on the weekend
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post

Montreal English is clearly a different sort of approach than Ontario English. I'm still adjusting. (I also haven't listened to the show yet)

Reminds me of "Ronspeak" in Formula 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Dennis#.22Ronspeak.22
              University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
              Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Its 20 minutes of commercials. Frankly, I think they're hurting for callers....even last year. They should atleast have ghost callers at the ready, with scripted questions. But I do think having a student there will help. Providing an Email address to send questions to would help too. By the time I was going to text a question, there was only like 10 mins left, and I figured they had another commercial break coming, so didn't bother.
                I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                  Its 20 minutes of commercials. Frankly, I think they're hurting for callers....even last year. They should atleast have ghost callers at the ready, with scripted questions. But I do think having a student there will help. Providing an Email address to send questions to would help too. By the time I was going to text a question, there was only like 10 mins left, and I figured they had another commercial break coming, so didn't bother.
                  Seems like a dedicated 10 minutes would be better than trying to stretch it to 30 minutes. Bump it for the first couple hours of the show and then get it all done at once. There's only so much to say to the casual fan on sports radio.
                  University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                  Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

It's a producer's job to prime the pump. Have a list of reliable DU fans (or staff members) available and reach out to them. It's not even necessary to have questions written in advance. Just let "Jim in Arvada" ask whatever's on his mind. Generally that's all that's necessary to get the ball rolling.

I recall a consultant jumping out of his skin when my producer told him "Pio likes it when calls are slow." He quickly disabused her of that. Frequently these folks are given zero guidance other than "answer the call and post it on the telos." They've got to be proactive, especially early on.

Years ago I was called on occasionally to host a weekly sports talk show in San Antonio with Tex Schramm, ostensibly about the Cowboys. But we would always get some clown who wanted to know "what do you think about Ernie Pudknocker?" Ernie, it turned out, was a distinguished local fullback from Churchill H.S. who was languishing on the bench at Lamar University. Responding "I don't know and don't care" was out of the question. So you just turn the question around, "what do you think of Ernie?" That's generally all it took.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Next time you get the chance, call in early. That'll insure that you get on. And that Monty will have something to talk about. And encourage others to call. Hosts have program logs which list the spots to be played. The idea is to avoid having the show sound like "spot-a-rama." You want to alternate between calls and spots. And when you're breaking you can tease that "Jim from Arvada" will be next (to encourage him to hang on). Texting questions is also a good idea. Lots of folks don't want to be on the air. Of course, you can also fake questions that are texted: "Jim from Arvada wants to know what you think of NCHC officiating."
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 10-31-2013, 12:12 AM.

Comment

DU cancelling weekly press conference and instead will have "Check Ins" with the coaches.
                        Might need to "check out" the sound before the camera rolls.
                        http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=209294992
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

DU cancelling weekly press conference and instead will have "Check Ins" with the coaches.
                          Might need to "check out" the sound before the camera rolls.
                          http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=209294992
                          All I know about check ins I learned at Writer's Manor.

Comment

Originally posted by old pio View Post
                            all i know about check ins i learned at writer's manor.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

GO VOTE FOR KRISTEN HAMILTON!!!!!
                              http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote...B_OEM_ID=18600
                              Kristen's Bio for Senior CLASS Award
                              http://www.seniorclassaward.com/athl...sten_hamilton/

Boone approves of this plug.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

bump!!!
                                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                                Tom Serratore

Comment

Working...
                                X