X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'd heard. Roll out the red carpet. Crank up the spotlights. What's the point of asking them back if you're not going to honor them? A press release? A mention in the Post? Sh*t!

I freely admit my prejudices here. But you can make a strong case that the '68 NC team was our second best ever. Undefeated at home. 16 straight wins after losing to the Russians in the Broadmoor. Stormed into the NC. Shut out North Dakota 4-0 in the title game. During the final 14 regular season games, the starting line of Jim Shires, Tom Miller and Cliff Koroll outscored opponents 33-2! Magnuson, Koroll, Patrick, Wiste, etc.
    Another packed student section Saturday night with the band, cheerleaders, dance team and an appearance by Boone. They rolled out the red carpet for an on ice recognition of ... the homecoming queen.

Comment

Canisius has a habit of flying under the radar. They got hot at the right time last season and that's how they snuck into the NCAA tournament. I'd like to say "sorry for your loss," but the AHA needs every OOC win that we can get!

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
      Though the season is young, I think the trend has been set looking at the first three weeks. Week 1 to week 2, and Friday to Saturday this weekend, doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of rhyme or reason to the team's performance, no way to predict. Yes, Canisius played a much better game than Niagara, but DU's adjustments and hustle (of lack thereof) didn't cut it, unlike Friday.
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Wow, first time in don't know how long that we haven't been in the top 20 (unless this happened last week too, i was to afraid to check)

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Yep, it's going to be an unpredictable transition year, for sure. New coach, new assistant coach coming in a few months, new system, players hurt left and right, calling up a player from the club team, very mixed results on the ice so far. This will not be a typical year for DU hockey. It's clear that we can't have great expectations. With all of the unknowns, I don't know enough to have poor expectations, either. Just a lot of uncertainty. The best that I'm hoping for, is to have a .500 record by mid-January, and maybe the team will start to gel and be able to make some kind of a run towards the end of the season. Good goaltending and lots of experience on D provide some hope for this result.

Comment

• Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            Canisius has a habit of flying under the radar. They got hot at the right time last season and that's how they snuck into the NCAA tournament. I'd like to say "sorry for your loss," but the AHA needs every OOC win that we can get!
            Such is college hockey in general. And more power to you for the wins! I'd be plenty happy for an AHA team winning, were it against any other team
            University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
            Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Where Are They Now

NHL
              Matt Carle(2)--Tampa
              Chris Butler(4)--Calgary
              Paul Stastny(2)--Colorado
              Tyler Bozak--Toronto
              Joe Colborne(1)--Calgary
              Patrick Wiercioch(2)--Ottawa
              Beau Bennett(1)--Pittsburgh
              Matt Donovan(4)--New York Islanders

AHL
              John Lee(5) San Antonio
              Patrick Mullen--Utica
              Tyler Ruegsegger(6)--Hershey
              William Wrenn(2)--Texas
              Scott Mayfied(2)--Bridgeport
              Juho Olkinuora--St. Johns
              Brett Skinner--Norfolk
              Nick Shore(3)--Manchester
              Jason Zucker(2)--Iowa/Minnesota/Iowa
              Drew Shore(2)-San Antonio/-Florida

ECHL
              Peter Mannino--Wheeling/Wilkes-Barre
              Kevin Ulanski--Colorado
              Luke Fulghum--Colorado
              Kyle Ostrow--Colorado
              Paul Phillips-Colorado
              John Ryder--Colorado
              Marc Cheverie(7)--Colorado
              Geoff Paukovich(2)--Las Vegas

CHL
              Aaron Mackenzie--Denver
              Matt Glasser(7)-- Denver

INTERNATIONAL
              Rhett Rakhshani(4)--Vaxjo (Sweden)
              Adrian Veideman--Vienna Capitals (Austria)
              Andrew Thomas(4)--Orli Znojmo (Austria)
              Luke Salazar--HC Innsbruck (Austria)
              Ryan Dingle--Cortina (Italy)
              Connor James--Nuermberg (Germany)
              Ryan Caldwell(7)--Nuermberg/Berlin (Germany)
              Chris Knowlton--Tongsberg (Norway)
              Kevin Doell--Vasteras IK (Sweden-1)
              Cody Brookwell--Belfast (UK)
              T.J. Fast(2)--Crimmitschau ETC (Germany)

( ) NHL Draft Round

Bozak is out for 7 to 10days--lower body injury and Beau Bennett is currently on Injured Reserve.
              Haven't seen anything about Anthony Maiani since he left Kalamazoo.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                Where Are They Now
                I'm pretty sure Skinner, Phillips and Connor James were drafted.....and Matt Pettinger still plays in Europe, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Skinner, Phillips and Connor James were drafted.....and Matt Pettinger still plays in Europe, I believe.
                  Skinner (3)
                  Phillips (7)
                  James (9)
                  Pettinger (2) Hamburg
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I hope Monty will address this in his press conference today.

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    you're not going to win too many games with a 5 minute flurry at the end. Too little and waaaaay too late.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                      I hope Monty will address this in his press conference today.
                      Press Conference has been cancelled

Monty's radio show begins at 5:00PM mountain on pioneervision and should be on 102.3 espn
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Actually, DU says it's at 6pm Mountain. Didn't they do it at a restaurant or something last year? Will Jim do it via cellphone?
                        I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                          Actually, DU says it's at 6pm Mountain. Didn't they do it at a restaurant or something last year? Will Jim do it via cellphone?
                          Ooops. 5:00 Pacific Think they it was at the station.

Monty brought Sam as his special guest. Sounds like they will have a player at most of the shows. Picked Tri-Captains because there are a number of leaders on the team. He said if he had to pick one leader of the team it would be Sam, but his job is in goal. Saturday night team wasn't finishing checks and did not get/take quality shots. Power Play not enough puck movement. Still said he thought team played well.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Still said he thought team played well.
                            I guess this is one of those times where I don't see the game the same way as a coach (or anyone that understands the game at a much higher level than I do).
                            University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                            Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                              I guess this is one of those times where I don't see the game the same way as a coach (or anyone that understands the game at a much higher level than I do).
                              I believe what Monty said was that the loss on Saturday night wasn't due to a lack of effort (the team) but rather a lack of preparation (the coaching staff).

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                                I believe what Monty said was that the loss on Saturday night wasn't due to a lack of effort (the team) but rather a lack of preparation (the coaching staff).
                                Ah, gotcha.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Working...
                                X