19 days

till DU's next game

Daniel Doremus
    Junior Forward
    GO DU !!!

Comment

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVI

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      As far as I know, renovation has not taken place. When I hear something I will let you know.
      No need to rush, he said sarcastically.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Islanders vs Calgaty tonite.
        A chance to see 2 former Pioneer #4's on the blueline Matt Donovan (2009-11) vs Chris Butler (2005-8)
        EXCEPT Donovan is skating in Calgary and Butler in Regina
        Calgary Flames do have a live stream
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Islanders vs Calgaty tonite.
          A chance to see 2 former Pioneer #4's on the blueline Matt Donovan (2009-11) vs Chris Butler (2005-8)
          EXCEPT Donovan is skating in Calgary and Butler in Regina
          Calgary Flames do have a live stream
          Donovan with an assist in Isles 5-3 loss in Calgary and was +1. Scott Mayfield made the trip west but did not dress in either game. As the Regina game was not in an NHL arena, there is no boxscore on NHL.com.
          Last edited by du78; 09-18-2013, 09:45 AM.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

September 18, 2013

18 days

until DU's next game

Emil Romig
            Freshman Forward
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Joe Colborne story on his chances of making Leafs.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...-earn-nhl-job/
              By the way, Joe's sister Claire is starting her fourth year with the University of New Brunswick's women's basketball team. She's a good shooter (usually) but struggles in traffic or when she gets double-teamed.

http://vreds.ca/sports/wbkb/2012-13/..._claire00.html
              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                DU's preseason guests, UNB, starts thier preseason this coming Monday night vs. Moncton. I think the Reds will treat thier US weekend as more of a team bonding, "have some fun road trip", rather than trying to put together solid lines and a game plan. Those Canadians usually are a bit bigger too.... and like to hit. Whereas DU should treat the game relatively differently.
                Wrong. UNB takes their annual US road trips very seriously and are usually pretty jacked up to play NCAA teams. They hate to lose, and are the reigning Canadian champs for a reason. While they've graduated a number of key players from last year's team, including both starting goalies, there are enough veterans on the team to make it interesting.

The Varsity Reds, or V-Reds usually play a puck-possession, puck-pursuit game. They're pretty quick for a CIS team (meaning about average or just below average team speed by NCAA standards) and fairly big. They don't normally play a bruising, banging board game, but that doesn't mean they won't take the body either.

The biggest challenges for them on this road trip will probably the long travel from Fredericton, the altitude, the difference in NCAA reffing, and the three games in three nights.

Comment

Well Freddy, they're 1-0 on thier season.... can't be any more perfect than that! You sound like you know your Reds.... stay here and give us some thoughts in the coming days, please. Sometimes fans think exhibitions are crap games, but I beg to differ. Especially for DU, and the Freshman Pioneers, this is the first taste of someone else in a different uniform. Show the coaches your stuff. Boys will be boys. I look forward to seeing these Canadian teams each year.
                  I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Freddy, glad to have you here. May I ask a basketball question? I see Claire Colborne plays wing? What is that?
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Freddy, glad to have you here. May I ask a basketball question? I see Claire Colborne plays wing? What is that?
                      I don't know why they call the position that. She's a forward, and not quite tall/strong enough to play centre/post. When she's on her game she's UNB's top scorer. She was the conference rookie-of-the-year, but unfortunately for the V-Reds her shooting can be inconsistent, and physical play sometimes puts her completely off.

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                        Well Freddy, they're 1-0 on thier season.... can't be any more perfect than that! You sound like you know your Reds.... stay here and give us some thoughts in the coming days, please. Sometimes fans think exhibitions are crap games, but I beg to differ. Especially for DU, and the Freshman Pioneers, this is the first taste of someone else in a different uniform. Show the coaches your stuff. Boys will be boys. I look forward to seeing these Canadian teams each year.
                        Well I've been following UNB hockey back since I was first a student in 1983, back when they used to be called the Red Devils. I've been doing colour on their radio and TV broadcasts since around 1998 (the year they won their first national championship). In the mid-90's the AD got the bright idea to give all of the varsity teams a common name, and somehow came up with Varsity Reds. It was supposed to be original, but really, the University of Toronto are the Varsity Blues! I gradually got over the name change, but most of us call them the V-Reds (never Reds!).

UNB has been playing varsity hockey for over 100 years, but it took them until March 1998 to win their first CIS University Cup. They are the reigning champs, and have won the UCup 4 of the last 7 years (always the odd years for some reason ...). School colours are red and black. They average the best attendance in the CIS, but that is only an average of 2500 per home game (their rink seats 3700). Major Junior hockey gets all the hype and paying fans.

The V-Reds play in the most competitive conference in the CIS - the AUS (Atlantic University Sport). If you can come out of the AUS you have a good chance to be in the championship final. Last season's CIS championship final saw UNB defeat conference rival Saint Mary's 2-0. SMU managed to squeak by perennial power Alberta in the round-robin. The University Cup is a 6-team tournament: AUS winner, Canada West winner, 2 OUA winners (in CIS hockey the Ontario and Quebec teams play in a double-size conference), the host, and a rotating wildcard (which was SMU last season).

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                          Well I've been following UNB hockey back since I was first a student in 1983, back when they used to be called the Red Devils. I've been doing colour on their radio and TV broadcasts since around 1998 (the year they won their first national championship). In the mid-90's the AD got the bright idea to give all of the varsity teams a common name, and somehow came up with Varsity Reds. It was supposed to be original, but really, the University of Toronto are the Varsity Blues! I gradually got over the name change, but most of us call them the V-Reds (never Reds!).

UNB has been playing varsity hockey for over 100 years, but it took them until March 1998 to win their first CIS University Cup. They are the reigning champs, and have won the UCup 4 of the last 7 years (always the odd years for some reason ...). School colours are red and black. They average the best attendance in the CIS, but that is only an average of 2500 per home game (their rink seats 3700). Major Junior hockey gets all the hype and paying fans.

The V-Reds play in the most competitive conference in the CIS - the AUS (Atlantic University Sport). If you can come out of the AUS you have a good chance to be in the championship final. Last season's CIS championship final saw UNB defeat conference rival Saint Mary's 2-0. SMU managed to squeak by perennial power Alberta in the round-robin. The University Cup is a 6-team tournament: AUS winner, Canada West winner, 2 OUA winners (in CIS hockey the Ontario and Quebec teams play in a double-size conference), the host, and a rotating wildcard (which was SMU last season).
                          Freddy are you making the trip to broadcast the games back to Canada? In the last 5 years DU has played UBC, McGill, Lethbridge, Calgary and Alberta in the exhibition games. Generally, DU has maybe one or two formal practices before these games due to NCAA regulations. They dress an expanded roster and give a chance for everyone to play so as to see what they have especially in the newcomers. Also they will play 2 to 3 goalies. The games in the past 5 seasons have been very competitive with DU tying UBC and McGill the past 2 years. The lost to Lethbridge 3 years ago by 3 goals and beat Calgary and Alberta by one goal the prior two years. The Canadian teams generally come in with a couple of games under their belts and want to make a good showing. For DU this is a chance for the coaching staff to mix the lines up and see who competes hard. While this game has no bearing on standings or pairwise, it is a chance for the players to experience game conditions and I expect another close contest.

Drew Shore with a goal in Florida's 3-2 shootout loss last night against Dallas. Florida was down 2-0 late in 3rd and Drew's goal made it 2-1. Scottie Upshall scored 14 seconds later to tie the game for FL.

Scott Mayfield playing tonight for Isles against Devils.
                          Last edited by du78; 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Freddy are you making the trip to broadcast the games back to Canada? .
                            Not this time. Too far and too expensive for exhibition games. The radio station, CHSR-FM, is the campus radio station with a very tight budget. But we did fundraise the money to broadcast all of the University Cup games from Saskatoon in March! I wish I was going, as I have a sister-in-law who grew up in Boulder.

Most of UNB's NCAA opponents to date have done exactly what you describe. The games UNB have won against Hockey East teams have usually been because they jumped to an early lead (thanks to having a few games under their belt) and then held on as their opponents find their feet as the game progresses. Phantom penalties have been a bit of UNB's nemesis as the game is definitely called differently in the States.

If you've seen other CIS teams you know that they tend to play more of a pro style game - more north-south than east-west - than many NCAA teams. UNB is no exception, other than that they rarely dump and chase (except when their "energy line" wants to soften up the opposing D a bit).

Comment

NCHC Preseason Poll

Place Team (1st-place votes) Points

1. Miami (7) 115

2. North Dakota (5) 109

3. St. Cloud State (4) 99

4. Denver 66

5. Western Michigan 61

6. Minnesota Duluth 43

7. Colorado College 42

8. Nebraska Omaha 41
                              Last edited by du78; 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

NCHC Preseason Poll

Place Team (1st-place votes) Points

1. Miami (7) 115

2. North Dakota (5) 109

3. St. Cloud State (4) 99

4. Denver 66

5. Western Michigan 61

6. Minnesota Duluth 43

7. Colorado College 42

8. Nebraska Omaha 41
                                DU write up mentions 9 incoming freshmen. With Wade Bennett already in school that makes 10, but the roster shows 11.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X