O'Bannon Case and its ripple effect on college hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Bannon Case and its ripple effect on college hockey

Funny that there isn't any post (that I'm aware of) made of this situation. If it goes in favor of the plaintiffs then the NCAA, and college hockey as a result, will no longer exist as we know it.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...valettop_email

Re: O'Bannon Case and its ripple effect on college hockey

They probably will get rid of the athletic scholarship all together and go the D3 model. If so welcome to MJBB, MJFB and MJH.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      They probably will get rid of the athletic scholarship all together and go the D3 model. If so welcome to MJBB, MJFB and MJH.
      I believe that Michigan's AD stated something very similar....

Comment

Sounds like this whole case was done by some guy who was a good dribbly ball player in college who wasn't good enough to make it in the NBA and now he needs money. They don't realize that they don't have to pay to go to school if they get an athletic scholarship (or at least significantly less) while the average student will leave college with 5 digits in debt? I'd call that payment enough.
        I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
          Funny that there isn't any post (that I'm aware of) made of this situation. If it goes in favor of the plaintiffs then the NCAA, and college hockey as a result, will no longer exist as we know it.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...valettop_email
          I don't think I'd go quite that far. It just means a lot of things related to the players themselves go poof.

Ok, can't buy that specific numbered shirt, but here's our website letting you choose any number.

I have no sympathy for O'Bannon. I really don't. At best the colleges make an opportunity off of a specific choice one made and likewise players have no right to a shirt number.

The only thing I could see being in iffy territory is the gameworns... That aside, of course, from the NCAA Football series.

Edit: only reason real player pay becomes and issue is if certain schools use this as a guise.

I'd think, except for top players, if you gave them their cut it wouldn't amount to much more than a couple of pizzas.... Assuming its split how it is and not how Michigan will pretend it'll be to bring athletes to campus.
          Last edited by Patman; 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

The single best article I have read on the notion of paying college athletes is below. It's a very compelling article and one I would encourage all fans of college sports to read:

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar...sports/308643/

Comment

Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
              Sounds like this whole case was done by some guy who was a good dribbly ball player in college who wasn't good enough to make it in the NBA and now he needs money. They don't realize that they don't have to pay to go to school if they get an athletic scholarship (or at least significantly less) while the average student will leave college with 5 digits in debt? I'd call that payment enough.
              Sounds like you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Ed O'Bannon was the best player in college basketball in 1995. He led UCLA to a national title. He WAS good enough to make it to the NBA. He was the 9th pick in the draft. I am sure he does realize that he didn't have to pay to go to college. And it isn't payment enough. You were wrong about everything you just posted.

O'Bannon and other superstars sell tickets, merchandise and concessions. Not only that, but it turns out they get more students to apply to the university they go to.
              http://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworki...-applications/
              http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...issions-influx

How much money does that generate for the universities? Quite a bit. Basketball and football players basically subsidize the scholarships for every other sport. Not only that, coaches and athletic directors get rich off the backs of the athletes. Amateurism was basically invented to not have to pay athletes. Read the article bothman posted above. It is really all you need to know about this issue.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Sounds like you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Ed O'Bannon was the best player in college basketball in 1995. He led UCLA to a national title. He WAS good enough to make it to the NBA. He was the 9th pick in the draft. I am sure he does realize that he didn't have to pay to go to college. And it isn't payment enough. You were wrong about everything you just posted.

O'Bannon and other superstars sell tickets, merchandise and concessions. Not only that, but it turns out they get more students to apply to the university they go to.

How much money does that generate for the universities? Quite a bit. Basketball and football players basically subsidize the scholarships for every other sport. Not only that, coaches and athletic directors get rich off the backs of the athletes. Amateurism was basically invented to not have to pay athletes. Read the article bothman posted above. It is really all you need to know about this issue.
                I certainly understand what you are saying and believe me, I sympathize with players like O'Bannon but I must say that I fear the repercussions that this law suit will bring forth, if won. You do realize that everything, and I mean everything will change in college athletics! Hockey will be impacted just as much as football and basketball will.

Comment

They aren't conscripts so its immaterial. The only thing that matters, IMO, is that to which they did not sign over their rights which is their likeness.

As for amateur athletics, I think both sides know what they're getting into when they do that. Its an apprenticeship of sorts. For that they get excellent trainers, lots of food, opportunities to travel, BMOC status, and often discounted or free education. When you are an amateur YOU VOLUNTEER. YOU made that decision. You aren't owed a right as such. Did you know that graduate school work, which could be highly valuable to a university, is not yours. It belongs to the university. A professor develops a patent and immediately transfers it to the school. In all these cases the people were free to choose given the choices in front of them.

Now, one could argue that the market is held tight and is some form of anti-trust collusion. But that's an entirely different argument which has little to do with the appropriation of a person's image.
                  Last edited by Patman; 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    They aren't conscripts so its immaterial. The only thing that matters, IMO, is that to which they did not sign over their rights which is their likeness.

As for amateur athletics, I think both sides know what they're getting into when they do that. Its an apprenticeship of sorts. For that they get excellent trainers, lots of food, opportunities to travel, BMOC status, and often discounted or free education. When you are an amateur YOU VOLUNTEER. YOU made that decision. You aren't owed a right as such. Did you know that graduate school work, which could be highly valuable to a university, is not yours. It belongs to the university. A professor develops a patent and immediately transfers it to the school. In all these cases the people were free to choose given the choices in front of them.

Now, one could argue that the market is held tight and is some form of anti-trust collusion. But that's an entirely different argument which has little to do with the appropriation of a person's image.
                    Did you read any of the articles linked to in this thread?
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I don't think I'd go quite that far. It just means a lot of things related to the players themselves go poof.

Ok, can't buy that specific numbered shirt, but here's our website letting you choose any number.

I have no sympathy for O'Bannon. I really don't. At best the colleges make an opportunity off of a specific choice one made and likewise players have no right to a shirt number.

The only thing I could see being in iffy territory is the gameworns... That aside, of course, from the NCAA Football series.

Edit: only reason real player pay becomes and issue is if certain schools use this as a guise.

I'd think, except for top players, if you gave them their cut it wouldn't amount to much more than a couple of pizzas.... Assuming its split how it is and not how Michigan will pretend it'll be to bring athletes to campus.
                      I don't think the lawsuit speaks to jersey numbers, etc., so much as the likeness of the athletes themselves. Images of specific athletes are used to promote television broadcasts and NCAA tournament games. There have been licensed video games that use specific players. With the high def, high tech capabilities of the computer industry, there is little room for doubt just who is being depicted in these games and the NCAA keeps the royalties.

It will be very interesting to watch this unfold. I doubt that any court will actually allow the NCAA to be dismantled, but there could very well be a negotiated settlement costing the NCAA millions a year and allowing athletes to get a little more pocket change.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                        It will be very interesting to watch this unfold. I doubt that any court will actually allow the NCAA to be dismantled, but there could very well be a negotiated settlement costing the NCAA millions a year and allowing athletes to get a little more pocket change.
                        Why do you doubt that a court would allow the NCAA to be dismantled (or for current and former players to get a portion of the revenues they generate, which you seem to assume would be the downfall of the NCAA)?

Comment

No - that IS the argument: that the schools/NCAA have colluded to decide that none of them will negotiate with athletes for their services and will strip them 100% of their ability to profit from their participation.

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                          I certainly understand what you are saying and believe me, I sympathize with players like O'Bannon but I must say that I fear the repercussions that this law suit will bring forth, if won. You do realize that everything, and I mean everything will change in college athletics! Hockey will be impacted just as much as football and basketball will.
                          Not liking the outcome is an excuse for continuing an unjust system? The changes brought about would pale in comparison to the changes wrought by emancipating the slaves, extending the franchise to women, desegregating schools, etc, and yet we had the courage to face those changes. I'm sure the outcome would be even worse for my alma mater than most: if colleges were suddenly allowed to negotiate individual contracts with athletes, you can bet that the Ivy League would not be handing out the most lucrative contracts.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Nice try on O'Bannon's part, but pack it up bro...this debate has been going on for years and most likely the general approach of the NCAA's compensation package for college athletes at member institutions will inevitably remain the same. If this goes to Congress, expect the NCAA to receive an anti-trust exemption with a few compliant tweeks in the current system. Yeah, the greed factor in college sports is morally repugnant, but in reality it's the ubiquitous market forces of obsession for sports entertainment in America's consumer culture that have essentially professionalized college sports.

So don't hold your breath for legislation that agrees to pay college athletes. Let's not forget the #1 responsibility of US colleges and universities is to educate. If college athletes want to clamor for a share in a revenue stream, they can always opt out for a professional or semi-pro tryout and attempt to market their talent there for pay. When a college athlete signs the LOI and scholarship agreement they receive a free education, room and board, medical care, tutors, and other perks as well as an opportunity to showcase their talent on local and nationwide media coverage. IMO that's one hell of a deal...especially with the rising costs of education today.

Comment

Football and Basketball don't subsidize hockey at every school.

Comment

Working...
                              X