UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Correct, but I expect him to make the team.
    Justin Soderberg
    President and Editor-in-chief, Mill City Sports
    Co-Host, MCS Live Online Radio Show
    Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Email

Comment

Still pretty quiet on the recruiting front for the River Hawks. One program that has been very busy is Army. According to the Heisenberg site they have received 9 commitments in the last month.

Comment

The numbers aren't adding up right now..

Lowell currently has 7 seniors on the team:

(D) Houk
        (D) Furlong
        (F) Thompson
        (F) Holmstrom
        (F) Pendenza
        (F) Arnold
        (G) Carr

Additionally, the odds that (D) Folin, (F) Wilson and (G) Hellebuyck are here next season are slim to none. Which would make the list of departures (now 10) look like:

(D) Houk
        (D) Folin*
        (D) Furlong
        (F) Thompson
        (F) Holmstrom
        (F) Pendenza
        (F) Wilson*
        (F) Arnold
        (G) Carr
        (G) Hellebuyck*
        3 D, 5 F and 2 G.

Incoming next season we have:

(D) Mueller
        (F) Collins
        (F) Edwardh
        (F) Louria
        (F) Smith

Plus a few recruits that are listed for 2014 or 2015:
        (F) Leclerc?
        (F) Anderson?
        (F) Sifferlen?

Plus two transfers
        (F) Francis+
        (G) Boyle+

Which brings the possible additions to:
        (D) Mueller
        (F) Collins
        (F) Edwardh
        (F) Louria
        (F) Smith
        (F) Leclerc?
        (F) Anderson?
        (F) Sifferlen?
        (F) Francis+
        (G) Boyle+

1 D, 8 F, 1 G.

With five forwards (possibly) leaving and five coming in, maybe they only bring in one 14/15, or maybe none at all. Assuming they don't bring any of them in, it would leave the roster at:

Defense - 6
        Fr (1) Mueller
        So (2) Kappla, Zinck
        Jr (1) Amlong
        Sr (2) Kamrass, Suter

Forward - 16
        Fr (5) Collins, Edwardh, Louria, Smith
        So (3) Campbell, Gambardella, Mannicia
        Jr (7) Chapie, Collatone, Fallon, McGrath, White, Francis, Gordon
        Sr (2) Buco, Wallin

Goalie - 2
        Jr (1) - Boyle
        Sr (1) - Robins

I mean, I don't know about the rest of you, but that's scary. A Boyle/Robins tandem inspires the same kind of fear the Davidson/Mammula pairing used to give me. There doesn't seem to be any down the pipeline, and is there any who can honestly say they think Hellebuyck isn't leaving?

There seem to be plenty of forwards, but I would almost rather see some of the young talent come in and move on from a guy like Gordon who's never going to see the ice.

The defense is obviously going to need some extra recruits, even if we hit the lottery and Folin stays, because we dropped Scammon and have no one else coming in. The only other defensive recruit we have on the list is Tommy Panico for 2015.

The lack of news coming from the Athletic Dept. regarding recruits is starting to make me nervous, because with the impending losses we have coming, we're going to need the help.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Great post ...

And yes, I've been noticing this and am rather curious as to what their plan is right now.

The fact that currently, we seem to have 6 defensive players. I've been noting the goaltending issue for a long time.

UMass currently has 5 players already committed for 16 or 17. We have one possibly for 16 (but could come in '15). UNH has 22 commits for the future as of right now. That's a shockingly high number.

I really had hoped that this run would have helped our recruiting pick up, but ... not seeing much in the future pipeline, and then seeing the potential roster for next year's team is nerve-wracking.
          Last edited by UMLFan; 12-06-2013, 08:05 AM.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            Plus a few recruits that are listed for 2014 or 2015:
            (F) Leclerc?
            (F) Anderson?
            (F) Sifferlen?
            Leclerc looks to have made the transition and is putting up decent numbers in the NAHL. He's still pretty young though. Anderson has only played a few games this season as he's been out with a broken ankle. I'm not sure when he's due back. Sifferlen will be playing MA HS hockey with Malden Catholic. I would imagine he would need at least a year of Jr to make the jump to HE.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              Great post ...

And yes, I've been noticing this and am rather curious as to what their plan is right now.

The fact that currently, we seem to have 6 defensive players. I've been noting the goaltending issue for a long time.

UMass currently has 5 players already committed for 16 or 17. We have one possibly for 16 (but could come in '15). UNH has 22 commits for the future as of right now. That's a shockingly high number.

I really had hoped that this run would have helped our recruiting pick up, but ... not seeing much in the future pipeline, and then seeing the potential roster for next year's team is nerve-wracking.
              yeah, kind of surprising considering our recent performances.

edit: 63-28-3 under Bazin
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Q&A with UMass Lowell recruit Guillaume Leclerc
                Justin Soderberg
                President and Editor-in-chief, Mill City Sports
                Co-Host, MCS Live Online Radio Show
                Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Email

Comment

Great post ...

The more I hear about other HE schools geting commitments right and left the more I wonder what the hell Lowell is doing. Why are they waiting so long? Does anyone know if there's any planned STH get togethers with Bazin, because I'd love to hear what the plan is moving forward.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post

edit: 63-28-3 under Bazin
                    wow! In Norm you trust.........

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      The more I hear about other HE schools geting commitments right and left the more I wonder what the hell Lowell is doing. Why are they waiting so long? Does anyone know if there's any planned STH get togethers with Bazin, because I'd love to hear what the plan is moving forward.
                      To be fair, other than UNH and Notre Dame, no one really has a ton of future recruits. The problem, from our perspective of course, is that we seem to be looking rather shorthanded going into next year. I'm sure Bazin and his staff have something planned, and maybe we'll be hearing about some commits in the next month. My worry is that, at this point, the odds aren't great that you're going to get any standouts, unless you go for some younger players to bring in early?
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Just thinking here ... but maybe Bazin and staff know that Hellebuyck will be back next year?

Still doesn't explain the lack of defensive players though.
                        Monty

Comment

CJ Smith had a 3 point (1-2-3) game tonight as Chicago defeated Green Bay 6-3. CJ has 7 points (3-4-7) in the last 5 games.

Steel Spotlight on CJ Smith.
                          http://viewfrom123.com/2013/12/steel...ght-c-j-smith/

Comment

A new recruit (2015), goaltender Jeff Smith ('95) who plays with Powell River (BCHL)

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...layerID=962465,

Comment

Just thinking here ... but maybe Bazin and staff know that Hellebuyck will be back next year?

Still doesn't explain the lack of defensive players though.
                              I was thinking the same thing. But plans at this point in the year seem really fluid. Maybe all three want to stay now, who knows how they feel when they unlace 'em in April.
                              Lowell Forever
                              Forever Lowell

Comment

• http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...orm-bazin-bchl

I talked with Powell River Kings coach Kent Lewis tonight for a story on Jeff Smith committing to UMass Lowell.
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X