Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    Les, there's a wide gulf between the Jeff Jackson piece and what we are doing
    I don't have a problem with getting people late as someone above said (too lazy to find the post). If you look at some of the kids that play they are physically mature at an early age. Lil les was playing with kids who were shaving in 6th grade. He didn't need to shave until Jr yr. Some of these kids mature late. If you are one of those you might not be recruitable until you are on an even playing field physically. Lil got out of hockey for many reasons but part of it was fueled by the fact his physical size and strength were lagging far behind the peers he played with. He wasn't bad but when you play D the 170lb kid can run you over no matter how much skill you have if you are 90lbs it is time to give up. Even if you are big mature muscles are different

Comment

So this may be completely unreasonable, but is there any way that Lowell can actually schedule exhibition games against good competition, you know, like the U-18 team that other schools play (and not all of them are powerhouses if I remember). Wouldn't that type of exposure potentially help the team recruiting wise, especially if Norm can pull another rabbit out of his butt this year and the team makes another run?

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
        So this may be completely unreasonable, but is there any way that Lowell can actually schedule exhibition games against good competition, you know, like the U-18 team that other schools play (and not all of them are powerhouses if I remember). Wouldn't that type of exposure potentially help the team recruiting wise, especially if Norm can pull another rabbit out of his butt this year and the team makes another run?
        I've been asking for a game against the U-18 team for years. Everyone else seems to play them.
        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
          I've been asking for a game against the U-18 team for years. Everyone else seems to play them.
          I remember being told when i asked this in the past (a decade ago) was that it wasn't worth our time and it could only hurt us if we lost... that being said, hey, why not! its another home game, it helps with some national pride (yes, I know, its just a hockey team) and its a step out of the ordinary
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Be careful of what you wish for. If the U-18 beats you, it feels drreadful - like you've been beaten by high school team - which you have!

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
              Be careful of what you wish for. If the U-18 beats you, it feels drreadful - like you've been beaten by high school team - which you have!
              Yes, but I want these kids who beat the team I root for to then be on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                I remember being told when i asked this in the past (a decade ago) was that it wasn't worth our time and it could only hurt us if we lost... that being said, hey, why not! its another home game, it helps with some national pride (yes, I know, its just a hockey team) and its a step out of the ordinary
                I seem to remember (one of Monty's interviews?) Blaise MacDonald saying it costs several thousands of dollars to bring the US-18 team in. He felt with Lowell's (limited) hockey budget at the time there were better things to do with the money. I'm sure the budget has improved since then and it would add another home game and revenue.

I believe most if not all the current US-18 team is already committed
                Last edited by boblav1; 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  I seem to remember (one of Monty's interviews?) Blaise MacDonald saying it costs several thousands of dollars to bring the US-18 team in. He felt with Lowell's (limited) hockey budget at the time there were better things to do with the money. I'm sure the budget has improved since then and it would add another home game and revenue.

I believe most if not all the current US-18 team is already committed
                  Yes, there's a monetary payment to be made. Or there used to be anyway.

Regarding the younger commits, I did find this funny ...

“I think our rule gives us all the clarity we need,” York said. “The National Letter of Intent determines where a player goes to school. It’s clear in my mind. That alleviates a lot of the issues of the 15-year-old trying to pick a school before he can get his driver’s license or before he gets to high school. I think we have precedent in football and in basketball and soccer and in all sports.”
                  BC got a commitment from a 14-year-old today.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I'm going to assume that there were no kids on official visits Friday night...

Comment

No idea, but the fact it was on NESN definitely helps with recruiting, especially winning.
                      BS UMass Lowell 2015
                      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

I'd have to venture you're right. I can't see that many more kids being brought in for 2015 after all.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                          No idea, but the fact it was on NESN definitely helps with recruiting, especially winning.
                          I don't know how much it being on a local station would really help recruiting. If it was on NBCSN, then maybe, but just in New England, those kids already know about Lowell after the last 3 years. Plus, it's the atmosphere in the building that helps draw the kids in. I believe it was Ben Holmstrom who was on a visit when Lowell beat BC (I think Mammola got the win), and the place was packed and loud. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

Regarding the younger commits, I did find this funny ...

BC got a commitment from a 14-year-old today.
                            That's perfect hahah

Comment

I don't know how much it being on a local station would really help recruiting. If it was on NBCSN, then maybe, but just in New England, those kids already know about Lowell after the last 3 years. Plus, it's the atmosphere in the building that helps draw the kids in. I believe it was Ben Holmstrom who was on a visit when Lowell beat BC (I think Mammola got the win), and the place was packed and loud. Could be wrong though.
                              Every little bit helps. If this were 8 years ago we wouldn't be questioning the wisdom about being on NESN is good for recruiting... and I believe we paid for this game.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Ben Holmstrom's visit was during the 7-0 win over UNH which was also on NESN.

BTW, NESN is a New England network, but they do broadcast nationally, as well as to anyone that has the Sports Pack on satellite.
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X