Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

we still need a DMan is that correct?
    BACK 2 BACK HE Champions whoda thunk it! Final Four 2013!

Comment

Been thinking about the degrees of "success" for UML's recruiting and trying to understand why an athlete would choose one school (or other option) over another. I have come up with at least 12 criteria that an athlete probably considers when making a decision. Depending on the individual, each item would have a different weight.

Some of the criteria listed below are in UML's control (such as recent success of the program) and others are not (Beanpot School). For now I made the assumption that the individual is comparing D1 schools from top conferences such as Hockey East, WCHA, etc - so did not include this in the criteria. Here is the list.

1. Coach
      2. Program's hockey style/system
      3. Current depth at desired position
      4. Recent success of program (last 3 years)
      5. Overall success of program (all time)
      6. Future projected success of program (next 4 years)
      7. NHL stepping stone / NHL connections
      8. Quality of Education / Educational Fit
      9. Practice Facilities/Game Rink
      10. Beanpot School
      11. Campus
      12. Fan Support

So, what's the point of the list? I am trying to look at things from a school's perspective and identify what may be important to a potential recruit. Then, see if there are areas that can be improved upon to increase the chances of landing a recruit. Of course this is all hypothetical and just a conversation starter, but that's what we do on this Board.

What items above do think are important or really not relevant? Anything obvious that I may have missed?
      University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
        Been thinking about the degrees of "success" for UML's recruiting and trying to understand why an athlete would choose one school (or other option) over another. I have come up with at least 12 criteria that an athlete probably considers when making a decision. Depending on the individual, each item would have a different weight.

Some of the criteria listed below are in UML's control (such as recent success of the program) and others are not (Beanpot School). For now I made the assumption that the individual is comparing D1 schools from top conferences such as Hockey East, WCHA, etc - so did not include this in the criteria. Here is the list.

1. Coach
        2. Program's hockey style/system
        3. Current depth at desired position
        4. Recent success of program (last 3 years)
        5. Overall success of program (all time)
        6. Future projected success of program (next 4 years)
        7. NHL stepping stone / NHL connections
        8. Quality of Education / Educational Fit
        9. Practice Facilities/Game Rink
        10. Beanpot School
        11. Campus
        12. Fan Support

So, what's the point of the list? I am trying to look at things from a school's perspective and identify what may be important to a potential recruit. Then, see if there are areas that can be improved upon to increase the chances of landing a recruit. Of course this is all hypothetical and just a conversation starter, but that's what we do on this Board.

What items above do think are important or really not relevant? Anything obvious that I may have missed?
        That's actually a pretty **** good list I think. The order obviously, as you said, changes depending on the player. Don't think there's anything you missed.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Does coed quality fall under campus?
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            That's actually a pretty **** good list I think. The order obviously, as you said, changes depending on the player. Don't think there's anything you missed.
            I would think that players currently on the team or committed would be a factor. If a potential recruit knows some of the guys already there, or knows some that are committed, and thus would have the chance to play with them, then that would be a factor as well. How many Sioux Falls guys did we have on the team in 2013? I can think of at least 4 (Ruhwedel, Furlong, Kamrass, Holmstrom).
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              Does coed quality fall under campus?
              If so I sure hope the tour shows a lot of south
              BS UMass Lowell 2015
              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                I would think that players currently on the team or committed would be a factor. If a potential recruit knows some of the guys already there, or knows some that are committed, and thus would have the chance to play with them, then that would be a factor as well. How many Sioux Falls guys did we have on the team in 2013? I can think of at least 4 (Ruhwedel, Furlong, Kamrass, Holmstrom).
                Definitely. That's an excellet point.

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                If so I sure hope the tour shows a lot of south
                Back in my days at ULowell I always tried to take at least one class on South Campus to have the opportunity to see someone from the opposite sex. I do not know for certain, but I think the gender ratio has improved since the '80s.

Overall, quite a good list. It also helps to explain/verbalize (just a little) the challenges that UML faces when recruiting. Most of us already know all this, so there are no surprises. One thing this list does (at least for me) - is to help me appreciate even more the wonderful and consistent accomplishments the team has achieved the last few years.
                University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Nick Master has been traded from Cedar Rapids to Tri City for a draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                    Nick Master has been traded from Cedar Rapids to Tri City for a draft pick.
                    Thanks Scott. Hopefully Nick can have a healthy successful season with Tri City.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      Who makes a move first? Lowell or The Revs?
                      Sadly, this is still a legit question.
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        Sadly, this is still a legit question.
                        Oops, too late. Revs win.

At what point is it ok to be more than a little concerned at our lack of recruiting for 2015 and beyond?
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          Oops, too late. Revs win.

At what point is it ok to be more than a little concerned at our lack of recruiting for 2015 and beyond?
                          According to Heisenberg, Lowell has 12 kids committed for the 2014-15 season, 5 of which committed in the spring of '14... Heisenberg 2014 Lists

Lowell currently has 6 committed to 2015-16, all of which committed in 2012 & 2013... Heisenberg 2015 Lists

That's 18 commits over the next two incoming classes, and will probably add a few more for 2015. How many more will make you feel comfortable? 30? 40?
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post

Lowell currently has 6 committed to 2015-16, all of which committed in 2012 & 2013... Heisenberg 2015 Lists
                            That's 6 commitments to replace just 3 seniors (Wallin, Suter, Kamrass).
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              That's 6 commitments to replace just 3 seniors (Wallin, Suter, Kamrass).
                              They'll need to add at least a couple of defensemen for 2015-16 to replace Suter and Kamrass. Tommy Panico will be in Lowell this season.
                              Last edited by boblav1; 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                They'll need to add at least a couple of defensemen for 2015-16 to replace Suter and Kamrass. Tommy Panico will be in Lowell this season.
                                Agreed.

BTW, Lohin on twitter says he's hoping to be at Lowell next season ('15). Maybe they'll push O'Neill out to '16?
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X