Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting Thread, 2014 and beyond

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Thanks Jeff. What do you think of Sifferlen's game?
    He's got good hands, not blazing speed, but not slow. Good vision and awareness of the game. Really nice kid, well-spoken, comfortable in his surroundings, used to winning. I'd take UNH recruit Nazarian over him, but I think Sifferlen can help UML when he gets there in '15. I think he projects as a second or third liner that can help with offensive production.
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      He's got good hands, not blazing speed, but not slow. Good vision and awareness of the game. Really nice kid, well-spoken, comfortable in his surroundings, used to winning. I'd take UNH recruit Nazarian over him, but I think Sifferlen can help UML when he gets there in '15. I think he projects as a second or third liner that can help with offensive production.
      sounds good to me.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Guillaume Leclerc was back in the line up for Austin last night. He was held scoreless with 4 shots and a +1 for the game. Austin plays again tonight.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I do know Nazarian is regarded as a higher end recruit.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I honestly believe sophomore Matt Filipe will be the best of the bunch. He's physical and has the tools to be special. He's uncommitted, dad played at Northeastern.

Comment

www.masshshockey.com

The video on front page is of MC-Mount St. Charles game…two of Sifferlen's goals happen right at beginning of second period (around 17 min mark of video I believe) if you don't want to watch whole game.

Comment

www.masshshockey.com

The video on front page is of MC-Mount St. Charles game…two of Sifferlen's goals happen right at beginning of second period (around 17 min mark of video I believe) if you don't want to watch whole game.
                Thanks for this.
                I honestly believe sophomore Matt Filipe will be the best of the bunch. He's physical and has the tools to be special. He's uncommitted, dad played at Northeastern.
                I've heard good things about him. Of course, I'm sure Lowell's nowhere in the picture.
                Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Thanks for this.

I've heard good things about him. Of course, I'm sure Lowell's nowhere in the picture.
                  I wonder where Landon Smith will end up? Smith, a '93, leads the BCHL in scoring. I believe he was originally committed to Denver but decomitted with the coaching change.

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...ayerID=1069490

Comment

This is not meant as a disrespect towards UMass-Lowell, but schools such as Lowell and Merrimack have to recruit the "hidden gems" and hunt for the recruits because sure both schools will get the occasional Joe Cannata or Ron Hainsey, but if you look back in history most of the two school's top players are from no where near Boston.

What I think is most impressive about Lowell's recent run under Bazin is it has been done with minimal blue-chippers (not to say Hellebuyck, Wilson, Wetmore, Vallarani, etc aren't terrific college players). It's not a Da Costa, Cannata show like at Merrimack. It bodes well for the future of the UML program. I believe Bazin and staff are doing this, but the River Hawks will be more successful recruiting in Canada, out west, non-hockey hotbeds like Atlanta (Kamrass), etc. than trying to pull in the top fish from area. I think Bazin knows this and has done well at finding his niche.
                    Last edited by CollegeHockeyRinkReport; 12-23-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

This is not meant as a disrespect towards UMass-Lowell, but schools such as Lowell and Merrimack have to recruit the "hidden gems" and hunt for the recruits because sure both schools will get the occasional Joe Cannata or Ron Hainsey, but if you look back in history most of the two school's top players are from no where near Boston.

What I think is most impressive about Lowell's recent run under Bazin is it has been done with minimal blue-chippers (not to say Hellebuyck, Wilson, Wetmore, Vallarani, etc aren't terrific college players). It's not a Da Costa, Cannata show like at Merrimack. It bodes well for the future of the UML program. I believe Bazin and staff are doing this, but the River Hawks will be more successful recruiting in Canada, out west, non-hockey hotbeds like Atlanta (Kamrass), etc. than trying to pull in the top fish from area. I think Bazin knows this and has done well at finding his niche.
                      Trust me, I do understand that. But, as a fan and an alum, it would be nice to occasionally nab one of those blue-chip type players from the local area.
                      Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        Trust me, I do understand that. But, as a fan and an alum, it would be nice to occasionally nab one of those blue-chip type players from the local area.
                        No reason we shouldn't attract a certain type of quality player. Not a lot of them, but hey, kids have their reasons.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          I wonder where Landon Smith will end up? Smith, a '93, leads the BCHL in scoring. I believe he was originally committed to Denver but decomitted with the coaching change.

A couple things on Landon Smith. I watched him for over a year in Cedar Rapids and he is gifted offensively, but plays a total perimeter game. There is no grit or willing to battle in the corners. He is one of the quickest forwards up the wing I have seen in the USHL.

I don't think it was so much Landon decommitting from Denver vs the school decommitting him. He was supposed to enroll this fall at DU but Monty put a stop to that.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

Big Al in the Quinnipiac thread says it may be down to Quinnipiac and UNH for him as BU was the other contender but looks to be out on him.
                            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                              A couple things on Landon Smith. I watched him for over a year in Cedar Rapids and he is gifted offensively, but plays a total perimeter game. There is no grit or willing to battle in the corners. He is one of the quickest forwards up the wing I have seen in the USHL.

I don't think it was so much Landon decommitting from Denver vs the school decommitting him. He was supposed to enroll this fall at DU but Monty put a stop to that.
                              Thanks for the update herbst20. How's Nick Master doing at Cedar Rapids? Any thoughts on the other UML recruits playing in the USHL?

Tyler Mueller - Sioux City
                              Tommy Panico - Muskegon
                              CJ Smith - Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                                He was supposed to enroll this fall at DU but Monty put a stop to that.
                                **** right I did!
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X