PDA

View Full Version : Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Chris_NH
11-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Sounds like this was one of those 'All-We-Have-to-do-is-Show-up' kind of efforts. I don't know what kind of lasting mark this loss will have come tournament time, independent of it happening 'way back in November.'

Call It
11-30-2013, 08:04 AM
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013/11/29/5158308/holy-cross-upsets-boston-college-atlantic-hockey-east-mike-barrett-matt-vidal

York admitted to defensive breakdowns. Credited Holy Cross.

Perhaps BC wasn't really thankful on Thursday & on Friday Karma came to collect?

J.D.
11-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Certainly won't help in the PWR so we'll see what happens with that.

Ran around yesterday like chickens with their heads cut off, no structure at all. Credit HC for taking advantage of their opportunities. At the same time, demko could have stepped up and made a big save or two.

1 goal in what, the first 50 minutes? And even that one was from a crazy angle. Just a terrible performance in every aspect of the game.

Carmine Scarpaglia
11-30-2013, 08:08 AM
So now that Coach York has admitted defensive breakdowns, will those posters who blame Billett refocus their areas of concern? Not even the wunderkid could shine with the weak defense in front of him. Serviceable goalie you say, not even a Vezina finalist can shine with BC's defense, and it is not the 2 on the blueline, team defense, 5 skaters, with a plan, not evident now. The stat most important stat is wins, not points per game. Too many guys trying to out-do J.G., not enough trying to win playing defense. Now that Demko lost Coach York sees the defense that Billett has had to work with and so should this thread.

Settle down. This defense sucks and yes it is the 2 guys on the blue line. Demko will be the goalie in the end and he will still look like a shooter tutor like he did last night if they can't figure out how to get the guys on the blue line to play defense. Start with getting Linell off the ice he has no idea what he is going and his stick positioning is laughable. Anyone with any small understanding of defense sees how badly he is exposed. Stick positioning. And that shouldn't let Savage or McLeod off the hook either.... Both shared time last night with Linell and the those pairings all played at a DIII level.

Last night the effort was disgusting but we're seeing York do strange things and it is worrying. Sat on his timeout last night early when it was needed. Playing Linell on defense obviously. Having a split power play between two periods and coming back with the 2nd unit after intermission. That really bothered me. Are we playing everyone (Patrick Brown? Hmmm 2nd pp unit) gets a ribbon? That one really bothers me... Put Gaudreau back out there with the top unit again and make them pay. Spiro and Doherty rotting in the stands every night. Things behind the bench are not right IMO. Maybe they miss Cavanaugh. Maybe Mcinnis and Ayers are having trouble getting meshed into the staff. And why can't Doug Brown teach the defense to play like that defense thingy?

Just my 2 cents. When you are walking out of your own arena and Holy Cross fans are talking crap to you it is time to reassess things. Not time to panic but time to really shake things up.

Mainehockeyman
11-30-2013, 08:31 AM
So now that Coach York has admitted defensive breakdowns, will those posters who blame Billett refocus their areas of concern? Not even the wunderkid could shine with the weak defense in front of him. Serviceable goalie you say, not even a Vezina finalist can shine with BC's defense, and it is not the 2 on the blueline, team defense, 5 skaters, with a plan, not evident now. The stat most important stat is wins, not points per game. Too many guys trying to out-do J.G., not enough trying to win playing defense. Now that Demko lost Coach York sees the defense that Billett has had to work with and so should this thread.

Thanks, Reggie. Finally, an ally. Many posters seem to be quick to point out Billet's faults and quick to make excuses for Demko's faults.

J.D.
11-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Matheson still plays dumb defensively IMO as well

all bear
11-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Wha ??

all bear
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Ta ??

all bear
11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Frig is going on down dere ??

sterlippo1
11-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Frig is going on down dere ??

Carmine's post explains it well

sterlippo1
11-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Thank God we have a football team

Kenny
11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Carmine's post explains it well

This may have nothing to do with it, but I feared losing Coach Cav and Coach Logue would have a negative effect on the consistent effort. This team has the talent to win the whole thing, but Logue and Cav had genuine fire. No need to panic, but something to keep an eye on.

all bear
11-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Y'all be fine...too much talent to think otherwise

Chickens@NU
11-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Chickens@NU still posts here? I don't even think he posts in the actual NU thread

Anyway, that was ugly. Thank god it's only november.

I still post there. I just don't post there very often.

Nick Papagiorgio
12-02-2013, 11:18 AM
This may have nothing to do with it, but I feared losing Coach Cav and Coach Logue would have a negative effect on the consistent effort. This team has the talent to win the whole thing, but Logue and Cav had genuine fire. No need to panic, but something to keep an eye on.

Definitely something to keep an eye on (pun intended?). Mr. Brown's stock as York's replacement has certainly dropped some, especially considering that since Jerry's eyesight went last year and Cav/Brown took over during that time (plus this season), it's been much of the small sample size that Brad Bates has seen in his tenure. York is definitely not coaching like he used to.

Things just don't seem right. The talent came in and looked great early on. On defense they have sputtered a bit as the season has progressed. Fitzgerald is still lighting it up and will win HE ROTY with ease. Cangelosi looks good and Demko will be great. The team had an identity and now seems to be losing it again. Looked like last year's team the past few games. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure we've seen some new combos lately and they are back to basically being a team with two 4th lines under this configuration. And another part of the problem is that while we have a handful of guys that are worthless 95% of the time, they go and do something good and you go, ok can't sit him now. Sit is having a career year with a nice month+ much like Smith did last year in the 2nd semester. Anomalies for both. Straight is still meh, he just moves a little better with the ankle recovered. Silk was great against Holy Cross as one of the only guys that actually skated hard, while still remaing fairly dispensable at this point in time. Brown has 2 SHGs this season, great congrats ... but... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Speaking of freshmen on defense, you have to feel for Santini with his new reputation he has earned. He basically stood there with 1 hand on his stick and let his man whack home the 2nd goal for HC on Friday and I got the impression he would have just lit the guy up under normal circumstances... he has to basically tone it so far down he is going to have trouble playing effectively. Didn't see the hit vs Army but knowing the score/situation it was clearly dumb. Did see the UMass hit, it was clean 100% but also something that the game should look to ban in the future to help the sport (smoking a defenseless player). So... he's really kind of earned both of those IMO.

I think BC needs to go with the bigger, younger lineup up front. That means getting Calnan and Gilmour in there regularly at the same time. Doherty or Jeke gets back in. Sprinkle Spiro in there half the time for Silk when speed is needed. Straight sits (until the injury hits). Linell also gets back in there at forward at times (OMG how will we replace all those assists!!!!!!!!!!!).

I'm anxious to fast forward just to see what lineup we see when the Beanpot rolls around. If we still see Linell at defense for the Beanpot it's time to be scared. If York would let us know in advance I'd be appreciative so I would know whether or not to bother with this season.

claver2010
12-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Eh not as concerned overall about this season yet.

The FR clearly provided the needed impact talent boost after the last two classes. With the effed up schedule of late and the constant shuffling of the bottom 4 or so tough to get a rhythm.

Love Santini's game (watch when some moron tries to take a run at Gaudreau who is the first one over there every time -hopefully HE didn't take that out of him), but the Army hit was very dumb.

I think they need to shuffle the powerplay units, wasn't there on Friday but given your write up of "putting the 2nd unit on after intermission" it seems like it's stayed the same. Want them to balance out the power (ha!) between the 2. While the first unit is impressive (Arnold, Hayes, Gaudreau, Matheson & McCoshen), the 3 F have 75% of our powerplay goals & 40% of the team's points.

Yeah had no clue what that guy was arguing with Linell. This team doesn't have a problem putting the puck in their net. Like you said, I'd work at getting more size and skill up front. Glad to hear about Silk's play on Friday, really thought we saw flashes last year of his potential.

I would be surprised if York didn't blow it up for Friday.

edit: can't say f ' d ?

FiveHole12
12-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Keep it simple. If we're gonna let the other team put up five, we better get six. ;) :p

FWIW... way too early to be overly worried. Lots of talent here. Jerry will get it fixed.
If we get slapped around all weekend by UNH, then I'll be worried.

J.D.
12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Don't play Atlantic Hockey clubs very often and obviously that was HC's national title game, but still...that was very, very discouraging. This doesn't appear to be the Holy Cross of a few years back. They were 3-9 coming into the game. BC, coming off a terrible performance at Maine and in front of a pretty good crowd...and that happens?

Can't remember if I said it here or elsewhere, but virtually zero grade A scoring chances through 40+ minutes. The effort was not there. I'm not used to seeing that. On top of that, they showed no composure whatsoever. Holy Cross didn't have much puck possession or dominating offensive shifts but they were extremely opportunistic. The opportunities came as a result of pathetic defensive breakdowns. Running around like chickens with their heads cut off. No structure. Demko really didn't make any big saves to help the cause either. Just a colossal debacle.

Right now, the PP is a joke. Way too much talent on this team to be 44th nationally on the PP (somehow Minnesota's is worse). PK is great at least. Last season was a BU like season and this loss to HC was a BU like loss. I honestly don't know what to expect now going forward.

J.D.
12-02-2013, 07:26 PM
and nick, i was thinking the same thing about greg brown in regard to who the next coach will be. cav is gone. it's time for brown to take on even a bigger role. what would concern me is if he's just going along with this linell on D thing. he's been there long enough where he can and should be challenging York on these things.

all bear
12-02-2013, 07:30 PM
On the flipside, I see some of the same malaise in this BC team that I saw in last years edition. Can Yorkie coach them out of this, or is the old duffer over the hill and the team in need of something younger and fresh? Shaky goaltending, weak defense and confusion behind the bench....not ingredients for success. In the past Jerry would use a big weekend like this against UHN to turn things around. We shall see.