PDA

View Full Version : Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

J.D.
11-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Unless Silk is an absolute beast on defense, I just don't see what he brings to the table. Richardson has 2 goals in 4 games and unless he's a complete liability on defense, he should be playing instead, as we already have enough size at Forward with Hayes, Arnold, Calnan, Gilmour and Brown. I also think Straight deserves to be on the 2nd line over Gilmour or Calnan and think he would have a lot more points playing with more talented linemates; the kid can play. Looking at the boxscore, seems like Straight actually was playing with Hayes and Fitz tonight.

I'm ok with the first three lines tonight. I would say that on that 4th line, Calnan and Silk really haven't showed a whole lot. I'd be ok with a rotation of those 4th line wingers. Give me Richardson and M. Gaudreau on that 4th line with Sit at Maine.

On D, I get it, they like Savage over Doherty, but is it too much to ask that they at least rotate a little? Doherty is too talented to be sitting every game.

TonyTheTiger20
11-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Writeup with GIFs of the goals and Harvard's youtube highlight video.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston-college-hockey-2013-14-season/2013/11/20/5128226/goal-by-goal-boston-college-hockey-harvard-johnny-gaudreau-bill-arnold

Gaudreau is in another world at the moment.

FiveHole12
11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Exactly right, Carmine. Early on, I felt more confident with Demko back there, but now, I am equally confident with either guy in net. Billett has been a brick wall, including tonight, stopping everything thrown at him. He stops pucks he doesn't even see through screens with great positioning and the big body. Doesn't panic and is very focused on the puck at all times. I am definitely liking our goaltending situation. If both guys keep up their current play, we could see a rotation right through to the end of the season. FWIW, I won't be surprised if at some point Billet wins the #1 outright, he's playing that well.

Regardless of what the box score says, the Eagles pretty much dominated tonight. This one could have been over after the first if not for the exceptional job by Michalek in net. The Eagles were that dominating.

Things got a bit sloppy and a wee bit chippy in the third. The refs did a very god job of keeping things under control, but almost lost control when Johnny took a heavy boarding hit at 13:52 while on the PP. Billy Arnold would have none of it and immediately got into it against the perpetrator. A good little fray got going in the corner but the refs got control of the game again. They actually did a very good job of not letting the game get too chippy. Kudos to the refs tonight.

I was a little bit worried about this game tonight but the Eagles came to play. I have been a bit anxious about the game in Orono this weekend as well, but not so much now. The frosh on this team 'get it' and play a veteran style game. I don't know if we've seen this team's A game yet, or if this is their A game, or whatever. All is I know is the game they've been playing is pretty darn good and will beat most teams on any given night. Keep up the work ethic and endless skating to loose pucks and they'll be fine. They wear me out just watching them. ;)

Go Eagles!

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
11-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Best Billett has looked tonight. Below is my game recap. I'll have a piece on Billett tomorrow as York had some pointed things to say about him in the post-game. Even admitted to being surprised how well he has played.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013/11/20/5124962/boston-college-harvard-johnny-gaudreau-austin-cangelosi-jimmy-vesey-hockey-east-ecac

BCeagle
11-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Is there any chance Jeke leaves in December? I believe he hasn't played any games this year so could transfer and have two and a half years at another school.

As far as kids decommiting, I'm not a huge fan of it. If there are some kind of mitigating circumstances like the coach leaving or something its one thing, but
situations like with Roy, Wade Murphy, and Milano are bad news for college hockey.

Exactly right, Carmine. Early on, I felt more confident with Demko back there, but now, I am equally confident with either guy in net. Billett has been a brick wall, including tonight, stopping everything thrown at him. He stops pucks he doesn't even see through screens with great positioning and the big body. Doesn't panic and is very focused on the puck at all times. I am definitely liking our goaltending situation. If both guys keep up their current play, we could see a rotation right through to the end of the season. FWIW, I won't be surprised if at some point Billet wins the #1 outright, he's playing that well.

Regardless of what the box score says, the Eagles pretty much dominated tonight. This one could have been over after the first if not for the exceptional job by Michalek in net. The Eagles were that dominating.

Things got a bit sloppy and a wee bit chippy in the third. The refs did a very god job of keeping things under control, but almost lost control when Johnny took a heavy boarding hit at 13:52 while on the PP. Billy Arnold would have none of it and immediately got into it against the perpetrator. A good little fray got going in the corner but the refs got control of the game again. They actually did a very good job of not letting the game get too chippy. Kudos to the refs tonight.

I was a little bit worried about this game tonight but the Eagles came to play. I have been a bit anxious about the game in Orono this weekend as well, but not so much now. The frosh on this team 'get it' and play a veteran style game. I don't know if we've seen this team's A game yet, or if this is their A game, or whatever. All is I know is the game they've been playing is pretty darn good and will beat most teams on any given night. Keep up the work ethic and endless skating to loose pucks and they'll be fine. They wear me out just watching them. ;)

Go Eagles!

It still a work in progress and ongoing throughout the season but one thing they have to do is cut down on the dumb penalties. Billet lost his shutout because of this and undiscipline play will force York to bench people to get the point. It's not just Matheson but other players taking his lead too that have hurt BC on the PK at really bad times to take a unnecessary penalty.

They are deep enough so that guys like Doherty and Jeke can play. It's one thing to protect JG but it hurts the team when you take a dumb penalty and allow the other team a chance to get back in the game or even cost them the game like when they played Michigan and Minnesota.

I listened on the radio tonight because I had to play a late game but HU played better in the 2nd and 3rd period and the BC penalties allowed them to put more SOG after dominating the 1st with only 1 goal for their efforts. Billet really held the fort when HU played much better after the 1st period.

sterlippo1
11-21-2013, 05:13 AM
after Arnold retaliated on the cheap shot on JG at 13:52 ( how did you remember that fivehole12?) that should have been it but our guys continued to retaliate right until the end, not good

joegrav
11-21-2013, 07:02 AM
I've got to say, as a local who grew up following all of the local college teams, it almost offends me that Harvard is so bad and continues to let Donato run a losing program every year. (Not to mention the goonery that seems to come out at the end of games when they're getting waxed.)

I know Harvard isn't usually going to get the blue-chip recruits, but when Yale is the national champion, and when Harvard football and basketball are annually very good, while their historic hockey program, playing in a hockey recruiting hotbed, is terrible, it ought to raise some questions about whether they have the right person behind the bench.

claver2010
11-21-2013, 07:23 AM
after Arnold retaliated on the cheap shot on JG at 13:52 ( how did you remember that fivehole12?) that should have been it but our guys continued to retaliate right until the end, not good

Disagree. The refs lost complete control of that game. I thought HE refs were bad but JFC. Multiple "indirect elbow to the head" calls when the elbow on Sit (?) was a pretty direct headshot. Love the matching calls after Arnold sticks up for Gaudreau, that's really the message officiating wants to send.

Disagree on Straight with Hayes & Fitz. Straight has been better this year but not 2nd line better.

Doherty can play, he's getting a really raw deal.

Billet has impressed me these past 2 weeks, while I think it is Demko's job to lose there's no need to rush him back for this Saturday.

Agreed Joe, seems like with the success of the basketball program Donato has been able to run that program into the ground in relative obscurity.

Nick Papagiorgio
11-21-2013, 08:12 AM
It can't be understated just how terrific it is that we have multiple players able and willing to step up and scramble some jughead's brains for their goonery. Santini, Matheson, McCoshen, Arnold... I think that list will go on with some other freshmen forwards possibly as well. I like it. It seems stupid but it's important when you have a guy like Gaudreau on your team. When you don't have that it sticks out like a sore thumb and is a serious detriment to the team.

8-2-2 with this schedule is pretty solid so far. The freshmen seem to be doing as well as we could expect. Demko (.928 save %) is the real deal. Fitzgerald and Cangelosi (6 goals each and they are averaging a ppg combined), Santini (+10), and McCoshen (team leading +15) are as well. Linell is even playing pretty well on defense in what was, is, and will forever be an awkward situation. Gaudreau is lighting it up and quietly in his shadow, Hayes is having a prolific season as well. Arnold is also having a quiet but great year. Billett has been playing as good as ever recently as well so they have two great goalies. Tough to really complain about much. If you were really reaching to complain, maybe you find something about say... Silk really trending downward. As a team they are still taking too many penalties aside from the necessary ones that I mentioned above.

The ingredients are there for another run. The hope is that either Linell goes to forward later in the year or it doesn't get exposed in the tournament. These things usually get exposed sooner rather than later against the cream of the crop. If they manage to snag the title with this defensive configuration, it will be a serious caper.

J.D.
11-21-2013, 09:29 AM
I've got to say, as a local who grew up following all of the local college teams, it almost offends me that Harvard is so bad and continues to let Donato run a losing program every year. (Not to mention the goonery that seems to come out at the end of games when they're getting waxed.)

I know Harvard isn't usually going to get the blue-chip recruits, but when Yale is the national champion, and when Harvard football and basketball are annually very good, while their historic hockey program, playing in a hockey recruiting hotbed, is terrible, it ought to raise some questions about whether they have the right person behind the bench.

Don't be fooled, Harvard gets very good recruits. Donato has been able to recruit fairly well, he's just a terrible coach. I've said it before, I know the Ivy schools are not into firing coaches, but at some point enough is enough over there. Too much talent to be such a bad team.

BCeagle
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Is there any chance Jeke leaves in December? I believe he hasn't played any games this year so could transfer and have two and a half years at another school.

As far as kids decommiting, I'm not a huge fan of it. If there are some kind of mitigating circumstances like the coach leaving or something its one thing, but
situations like with Roy, Wade Murphy, and Milano are bad news for college hockey.

I think this has been brought up over the years but guys like bothman in the HU thread continue to support him. Since Cleary left, the HC job at HU has not been up the Cleary standards. I know it's not fair sometimes to compare coaches who have different styles and personalities but HU usually gets good recruits and there's no reason for them to tank year in and year out like this with some rare exceptions they have some bright spots. When Yale changed coaches Yale certainly got better and won it all, last year. The apathy or lack of support from the administration is mind boggling after they won in 89' and when he retired.

mookie1995
11-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Harvard should be able to get anyone they want. They have guys in the NHL so it's not like you can claim that isn't the way to go if hockey is your career goal. Sure it's hard to get into, but you are generally picking from the top percentile of student athletes - kids who are used to getting up at 4am to get ice time, etc.

Harvard is the dream for any parent to see their kids go to school. From the pool of achivers who play it should be as well.
Heck -- Cheering against Harvard is like cheering against America.

After all... ITS FRIGGING HARVARD.

I thought Ted would be the guy, but it doesn't appear to be so.

FiveHole12
11-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Disagree. The refs lost complete control of that game. I thought HE refs were bad but JFC. Multiple "indirect elbow to the head" calls when the elbow on Sit (?) was a pretty direct headshot. Love the matching calls after Arnold sticks up for Gaudreau, that's really the message officiating wants to send.
Think about this... YOU are on a team. Your team is getting their lunch handed to them. So, in the third period your team starts to to play a little chippy. The refs send you to the box... and ALL calls from there on out go against your team. Will that get you and your team's chippiness under control? I doubt it... will probably make things worse. Your team is pizzed because they getting slaughtered and spending time in the box, and your opponent is pizzed because your team is playing dirty.

There's an art to keeping a game under control, and it usually means sending players from both teams to the box, fair or not. Personally, I think the H guy possibly gets 5:00 and game Misconduct on the Gaudreau hit, until Arnold retaliates. Arnold got the proper call against him, IMO, and when all was said and done, BC probably should have gotten at least an extra 2:00 PP, but where's that leave things with 6:00 to go in a 5-1 game. A pizzed off H team looking for some payback.

I stand by my original post... I thought the refs did a great job with the calls in the 3rd. That game was on the verge of getting very, very ugly (and I thought the Arnold skirmish was going to open the flood gates). The refs did a great job of keeping that game under control, even though it took parading BC guys to the box.

FWIW... penalties WERE NOT a problem for BC last night. Look at the box score... we had 3 penalties and led 5-0. Five penalties (some retaliatory) came after the game was put away. IMO, BC could have had 10 penalties in the 3rd... Harvard was not beating the Eagles last night, either way.

J.D.
11-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't have a problem with cheering against Donato, but in general I would like to see their program succeed.

Not sure how many games it's been, but BC hasn't lost to Harvard since 2006.

BCeagle
11-21-2013, 10:30 AM
FiveHole, are you driving up to Maine for that game ? It will be my 1st time at the Alfond and looking forward to a good game.

BCeagle
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't have a problem with cheering against Donato, but in general I would like to see their program succeed.

Not sure how many games it's been, but BC hasn't lost to Harvard since 2006.

I don't personally hate the guy or cheer against him, but he obviously is not making any great progress since he's been there. When York came back to our mess, you saw progress in recruiting and team play over time. But do you see it in the HU program ??? And to goon it up when you're losing shows no class or control over your team. That's just bad coaching and etiquette or sportsmanship. I'm glad Arnold stuck up for JG but the other penalties by BC I could do without that hurt the team. It didn't matter in this game as BC was up a lot but in close games, you can't do that unless you can PK without the other team cashing in on it. And that hasn't happened.

claver2010
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
There's an art to keeping a game under control, and it usually means sending players from both teams to the box, fair or not. Personally, I think the H guy possibly gets 5:00 and game Misconduct on the Gaudreau hit, until Arnold retaliates. Arnold got the proper call against him, IMO, and when all was said and done, BC probably should have gotten at least an extra 2:00 PP, but where's that leave things with 6:00 to go in a 5-1 game. A pizzed off H team looking for some payback.

6 was out of control that period before the Gaudreau hit. He got hit by Gilmour, didn't like it and subsequently tried to take runs at several players (taking him out of position) for the next several shifts, slashed Quinn multiple times right in front of the ref with the ref watching and no call. It was inevitable that a hit like the one he put on Gaudreau was going to happen.

It can't be understated just how terrific it is that we have multiple players able and willing to step up and scramble some jughead's brains for their goonery. Santini, Matheson, McCoshen, Arnold... I think that list will go on with some other freshmen forwards possibly as well. I like it. It seems stupid but it's important when you have a guy like Gaudreau on your team. When you don't have that it sticks out like a sore thumb and is a serious detriment to the team.

Agreed, huge difference from last year. Have noticed several times where Santini has stepped in after someone has taken a run at Gaudreau.

Putting Gaudreau with 2 awesome 2 way forwards (Arnold & Cangelosi) has been great.

One thing that bears watching is the powerplay has gone ice cold, 1-18 since @ Matthews (I'm not including the exhibition v Army). They're getting good chances and puck movement but I think I'd scramble the units. The first unit is awfully impressive but Matheson & McCoshen are duplicative. Get a right handed shot up there (Santini?) with either 5 or 3 to bomb away.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
11-21-2013, 11:34 AM
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013/11/21/5128700/brian-billett-goaltender-boston-college-jerry-york-hockey-east-ncaa-thatcher-demko-michael-ayers

Some good quotes from Jerry York - he talks last year's and this year's goaltending situations plus gives an injury update on Demko

J.D.
11-21-2013, 11:57 AM
You know, for as highly touted as this rookie class was, they've still exceeded my expectations thus far. I didn't think they'd have the immediate impact that they've clearly had.

FiveHole12
11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
6 was out of control that period before the Gaudreau hit. He got hit by Gilmour, didn't like it and subsequently tried to take runs at several players (taking him out of position) for the next several shifts, slashed Quinn multiple times right in front of the ref with the ref watching and no call. It was inevitable that a hit like the one he put on Gaudreau was going to happen.
I sat on the Harvard side. Refs were constantly yapping to Donato and the bench to tone it down. They sent #6 to the showers at the first possible moment they could. I thought they headed off a lot of potential crap. I didn't think the game was out of control, you did. That's OK. No one got hurt... that's a good thing.