Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Yipper, sounds like a straw man argument. I haven't made any predictions for the freshmen. Just the opposite. I always have tempered expectations for them and realize it's a tough schedule to start the year. I haven't seen any other bc fans make outlandish predictions for them either. There's certainly excitement though..I don't see a problem with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      Haha... you are correct I like a stacked line.
      Stacked line
      Stacked chips
      Stacked chest

Hell, what's not to like?!?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Fun facts:

BC is the youngest team in the country and Michigan is the 2nd youngest according to the release by HEonline.

BC has opened the season away from Conte in 12 of the past 17 years and in 5 straight including tonight. BC is 12-5 in season openers, however just 4-5 in their last 9. Michigan has handed BC 3 of those 5 losses.

Interestingly, in 3 of the 4 previous seasons in which BC has lost their opener, they made the Frozen Four, 2 of those teams won the national title.

As far as I can tell, this is the first 3-game losing streak for BC since January 2009. Given the schedule this streak could go on for a while. RPI probably shouldn't be taken lightly, especially if a less-than-optimal lineup is out there.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Highlights from the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HigFm...ature=youtu.be
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Considering goal #2 went in off bc dman, hard to fault billet for any of those. All in all, good start for him. Looks like bc missed on some glorious chances.

Comment

Hockey East weekend preview
              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...unh-icebreaker
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Stacked line
                Stacked chips
                Stacked chest

Hell, what's not to like?!?
                hahahaha effing A........ love it

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Well then, pretty uneventful game. Billet appears to have played a good game and congrats to mccoshen on the goal.

Moffatt with a couple PP goals accounts for the difference. Didn't generate a whole lot of offense in this one.

Come on PK, a staple of great BC teams
                  Wasn't Cav responsible for the PK? This team will be fine, but get used to seeing some inconsistencies with Cav gone. PK was his baby, and what do you know, with him now gone, they give up PP goals.

My other concern isn't X's and O's, it's intensity. Jerry and Brownie are great people and great hockey coaches, but neither has the intense personality to get in someone's face or fire up the team with a red faced rant. Again, that was Cav's role.

No doubt this team will compete for the nations top team all year, but early signs indicate they need to do it differently than they have the last 18 seasons.

Comment

First, it's one game (and I was relegated to EEI like everyone else).

Didn't sound like they had the energy necessary out of the gate.

It's going to take time with these FR. There are a ton of them, and due to the meh last 2 recruiting classes/this FR class' talent they're getting some serious time (1 on the first line, 2 on the 2nd line, an entire powerplay unit is FR., etc.).

The PK is a little concerning as it wasn't up to BC standards last year either.

Sounds like Billett played very well, probably will be a platoon for a while which isn't the worst thing, hell Demko's only 17.

I've said my piece on Straight, Sit, & Linell on the blue line for months; no point in beating a dead horse beyond the pulp that remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                      Wasn't Cav responsible for the PK? This team will be fine, but get used to seeing some inconsistencies with Cav gone. PK was his baby, and what do you know, with him now gone, they give up PP goals.

My other concern isn't X's and O's, it's intensity. Jerry and Brownie are great people and great hockey coaches, but neither has the intense personality to get in someone's face or fire up the team with a red faced rant. Again, that was Cav's role.

No doubt this team will compete for the nations top team all year, but early signs indicate they need to do it differently than they have the last 18 seasons.
                      You may be right about BC missing Cav as the bad cop. Brown and York are probably not going to be the guys yelling. Who knows if Ayers would feel comfortable doing that. We do know he can get angry and throw water bottles, though.

The PK was definitely Cav's baby but it wasn't great last year as well. Only clicked around 84%, which is very low for BC standards. This is, IMO, a result of the personnel being put out there. BC went from a great PK that was deadly with SHGs to a PK that wasn't good at killing penalties and had no real scoring threats (they did have some chances last year but not many and 0 de facto SHGs). That threat of a SHG against is good for a few percentage points. It's the personnel. Macleod is out there and I'm not sure he's a great penalty killer. I'm not even sure he should be playing at this point but he's a senior with a letter on his jersey so expect him to play. We know York likes using the big guys with the long reach and even puts the forwards back there sometime to help on the PK. But at forward you have Sit also killing penalties, it's one of the only things he is used for. He works hard but he's not even at a level of Price/Lombardi type ability.

Speaking of special teams, one thing I highlighted and tracked last year was the lack of BC's ability to draw penalties. Last night, just 2 PPs. That number needs to go up. Low SOG number. Also needs to go up.

And obviously, gotta stop taking stupid penalties.

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      First, it's one game (and I was relegated to EEI like everyone else).

Didn't sound like they had the energy necessary out of the gate.

It's going to take time with these FR. There are a ton of them, and due to the meh last 2 recruiting classes/this FR class' talent they're getting some serious time (1 on the first line, 2 on the 2nd line, an entire powerplay unit is FR., etc.).

The PK is a little concerning as it wasn't up to BC standards last year either.

Sounds like Billett played very well, probably will be a platoon for a while which isn't the worst thing, hell Demko's only 17.

I've said my piece on Straight, Sit, & Linell on the blue line for months; no point in beating a dead horse beyond the pulp that remains.
                      BC has gone out to on the road early in the season and it has paid dividends. We know that. A loss here can help turn a March game into a win. I believe that. They are also the youngest team in Division 1. Not the time to panic. BUT... it's not like we're giving guys ice time in hopes of them getting better for us either this year or ever. There's no reason to be playing certain guys... and sitting certain guys.

I think the freshmen will be fine. McCoshen is going to score 6-8 goals this year IMO. The problem is the personnel being used.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Great point on Cav not being there to rip into them.

On the personnel being put on the PK, I look to the superstar goal scorers. Cam & Gerbe were good on the PK and the other team knew if you effed around on the blueline they were off to the races, Johnny just isn't put out there much at all. Interested to see Cangelosi on the PK, didn't he set a USHL record last year for SHGs? Put him with Arnold.

Agreed on the FR being fine.

I'm interested, and scared, to see what they do when Straight comes back.

Comment

Two things here......too many donuts for the donut hole and too few beachballs for Ayers. But for anyone else, it was fun rooting for both teams to lose
                          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                            Interested to see Cangelosi on the PK, didn't he set a USHL record last year for SHGs? Put him with Arnold.
                            Absolutely right, Cangelosi is the guy you want killing penalties.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Speaking of special teams, one thing I highlighted and tracked last year was the lack of BC's ability to draw penalties. Last night, just 2 PPs. That number needs to go up. Low SOG number. Also needs to go up.

Have JY slip them a few bucks like JP did. With Parker's retirement, the referees will be looking for opportunities to make up for the "lost income".
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                But at forward you have Sit also killing penalties, it's one of the only things he is used for. He works hard but he's not even at a level of Price/Lombardi type ability.
                                He's not even close to either of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X