Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    According to the kid Destry is out and Sit is in for tomorrow.
    Please seriously I'm going to break something if he is in for Spiro. Who do you put Sit in for? The freshmen looked good enough to play and you have some good pluggers already with Smith and Brown. And Spiro pretty much looks better than all of them. I don't know where Sit fits on this roster.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2013-2014 season thread -Speed returns to The Heights

Is Straight a healthy scratch?

Not saying I agree, but I knew Sit would be in if healthy...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        good for them, glad it worked out (as i am in most cases where it doesn't work out at BC)

this goes both ways you know. programs are frequently burned by kids who commit and then don't follow through on that commitment. and we have no idea whether or not sullivan and others were informed at the end of last year that they would have to compete for a roster spot. let's not act like he was kicked out of school. he can stay and still get a great education or he can pursue his hockey dreams elsewhere. nobody is preventing him from that pursuit.
        We aren't talking about the player who deco'd. These are players who stuck it out when other offers were being made. The players who listened when being told "keep working and you will dress for games". Who said he could stay and get an education? What if he had to pay the $50,000 a year? NCAA scolly commitments are one year at a time. Nothing is forcing BC to give him a cent.

You need to sit through a few meetings with hockey coaches and here the pitch meetings. Then tell me what you think. The big hook they use is that "we won't trade you. we won't cut you. this is where you will be for 4 years". Now the CHL gets to say BS. Look at this school, look at that school. Its a business just like the CHL. We reward play based on your ability vs. who we have scolly money invested in"

Sullivan or the next kids to get "cut" (sugar coat it anyway you want - he was cut) didn't go to BC for the education first. He went to play hockey just like 99% of the kids on that roster. When does a coach say "I recruited him, I'm going to make him better and play him" vs. "well we have better guys to choose from now. thanks for helping us get better so we could recruit them. stick around if you want but you're not going to play much" Lots of talk about Sprio. He's safer as a walk on. Straight who has turned out to be less than expected. Is he next? Silk? M Gaudreau once JG leaves at the end for the season? We have 4 or 5 studs coming in next year and the year after.

There is nothing right about walking from a kid who DID NOT deco, stuck to his word, and maybe needs more time to develop. He's now stuck having to red shirt and find another deal all while being "the kid who got cut by BC".

Tell me how this is good for college hockey or BC?

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonfan999 View Post
          We aren't talking about the player who deco'd. These are players who stuck it out when other offers were being made. The players who listened when being told "keep working and you will dress for games". Who said he could stay and get an education? What if he had to pay the $50,000 a year? NCAA scolly commitments are one year at a time. Nothing is forcing BC to give him a cent.

You need to sit through a few meetings with hockey coaches and here the pitch meetings. Then tell me what you think. The big hook they use is that "we won't trade you. we won't cut you. this is where you will be for 4 years". Now the CHL gets to say BS. Look at this school, look at that school. Its a business just like the CHL. We reward play based on your ability vs. who we have scolly money invested in"

Sullivan or the next kids to get "cut" (sugar coat it anyway you want - he was cut) didn't go to BC for the education first. He went to play hockey just like 99% of the kids on that roster. When does a coach say "I recruited him, I'm going to make him better and play him" vs. "well we have better guys to choose from now. thanks for helping us get better so we could recruit them. stick around if you want but you're not going to play much" Lots of talk about Sprio. He's safer as a walk on. Straight who has turned out to be less than expected. Is he next? Silk? M Gaudreau once JG leaves at the end for the season? We have 4 or 5 studs coming in next year and the year after.

There is nothing right about walking from a kid who DID NOT deco, stuck to his word, and maybe needs more time to develop. He's now stuck having to red shirt and find another deal all while being "the kid who got cut by BC".

The funny thing about this is that Sullivan did in fact decommit, I think from Yale. I could be wrong in that though.

Comment

Originally posted by popester View Post
            The funny thing about this is that Sullivan did in fact decommit, I think from Yale. I could be wrong in that though.
            Yes, Yale. IIRC, Y wanted him as an '14, to play a yr. in USHL.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

. When does a coach say "I recruited him, I'm going to make him better and play him" vs. "well we have better guys to choose from now. thanks for helping us get better so we could recruit them. stick around if you want but you're not going to play much"
              Look I don't like the idea of cutting someone loose. i.e., if it were Sullivan's preference to stay enrolled at BC, ride the pine, and wait for injuries or underperformance, my preference would be for that person to be given that opportunity.

That said, I have a huge problem with the paragraph I quoted...

So, BC should give everyone playing time? Should they hand out orange slices after the game, too? Do they need to make sure the fourth line plays as much as the first line?

Sullivan's hockey development is going to be better served playing regularly in Green Bay than it would riding the pine at BC this year, if that's the concern, and not the education. If he's not one of the 7 or so best defensemen, he doesn't deserve to automatically get playing time just because he showed up.
              BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
              -
              Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

The players who listened when being told "keep working and you will dress for games". Who said he could stay and get an education? What if he had to pay the $50,000 a year?
                And you know that they told Sullivan that? What do you mean who said he could stay? He wasn't kicked out of school. Sure, maybe he would have had to pay his own way, but he would be paying for a great education--like many other kids/families do. Would he even have gotten into BC without the hockey element? I have no idea.

You sound a lot like hokydad here. Again, you know for a fact they said this to Sullivan? I do agree that now more than ever, coaches are in the business of winning games. There's a reason for that. If they don't win enough, they get fired. And these firings take place earlier and earlier in coaching tenures compared to when you were actually given time to build a program.

Sullivan or the next kids to get "cut" (sugar coat it anyway you want - he was cut) didn't go to BC for the education first. He went to play hockey just like 99% of the kids on that roster. When does a coach say "I recruited him, I'm going to make him better and play him" vs. "well we have better guys to choose from now. thanks for helping us get better so we could recruit them. stick around if you want but you're not going to play much"
                Let's say he wasn't cut. He's still on the team right now as the #9 dman. You think he'd be happy with that and would just sit in the stands every night? Or would he look to transfer? If he still wants to pursue his hockey dreams, isn't being cut better for him rather than NEVER playing at all? Now he has the chance to catch on somewhere else just like other guys have. It's not the end of his life. Good things can come of this for him and I hope they do.

He's now stuck having to red shirt and find another deal all while being "the kid who got cut by BC".

How is being "the kid who got cut by BC" going to impact him hooking on somewhere else? Maybe if he was the kid cut from AIC...

And for the record, I did not say this was good for college hockey nor do I enjoy these types of situations. I'd prefer they didn't happen. But they do. It's something I've come to accept.

Comment

The players who listened when being told "keep working and you will dress for games". Who said he could stay and get an education? What if he had to pay the $50,000 a year?
                  And you know that they told Sullivan that? What do you mean who said he could stay? He wasn't kicked out of school. Sure, maybe he would have had to pay his own way, but he would be paying for a great education--like many other kids/families do. Would he even have gotten into BC without the hockey element? I have no idea.

You sound a lot like hokydad here. Again, you know for a fact they said this to Sullivan? I do agree that now more than ever, coaches are in the business of winning games. There's a reason for that. If they don't win enough, they get fired. And these firings take place earlier and earlier in coaching tenures compared to when you were actually given time to build a program.

Sullivan or the next kids to get "cut" (sugar coat it anyway you want - he was cut) didn't go to BC for the education first. He went to play hockey just like 99% of the kids on that roster. When does a coach say "I recruited him, I'm going to make him better and play him" vs. "well we have better guys to choose from now. thanks for helping us get better so we could recruit them. stick around if you want but you're not going to play much"
                  Let's say he wasn't cut. He's still on the team right now as the #9 dman. You think he'd be happy with that and would just sit in the stands every night? Or would he look to transfer? If he still wants to pursue his hockey dreams, isn't being cut better for him rather than NEVER playing at all? Now he has the chance to catch on somewhere else just like other guys have. It's not the end of his life. Good things can come of this for him and I hope they do.

He's now stuck having to red shirt and find another deal all while being "the kid who got cut by BC".

How is being "the kid who got cut by BC" going to impact him hooking on somewhere else? Maybe if he was the kid cut from AIC...

And for the record, I did not say this was good for college hockey nor do I enjoy these types of situations. I'd prefer they didn't happen. But they do. It's something I've come to accept.

Comment

yeah, 70 games played or what ever and zero goals scored, i guess that you should get consideration when they are thinking of who should sit but Sit doesnt sit,....................... I am just pizzed cuz i really want to watch the first game, to me this is the most anticipated game since the FF in 2012. I cant wait to see what this team looks like and the #1 rated Frosh class. I hope the staff did a tad better than the last two classes. Really looking forward to see speed on the ice again
                    Last edited by sterlippo1; 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Please seriously I'm going to break something if he is in for Spiro. Who do you put Sit in for? The freshmen looked good enough to play and you have some good pluggers already with Smith and Brown. And Spiro pretty much looks better than all of them. I don't know where Sit fits on this roster.

Straight's hurt

But like you guys I don't get the coaches putting in Sit every night. I get he's good on faceoffs but eventually you need to put the puck in the net. Like sterlippo said, 0 goals in 77 games at BC is pretty effing hard.

Edit: f ' i n g is blurred out? wow

Comment

I don't want to pile on Sit, but it's not just that he hasn't scored. He had only 31 shots on goal last year in 38 games. So he's not even creating chances. I know you need guys that can do different things, but is he even the one taking important draws late in games? Guess I didn't pay close enough attention to that last year.

Comment

Game will be broadcast on channel 11, apparently on campus only
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I don't want to pile on Sit, but it's not just that he hasn't scored. He had only 31 shots on goal last year in 38 games. So he's not even creating chances. I know you need guys that can do different things, but is he even the one taking important draws late in games? Guess I didn't pay close enough attention to that last year.
                            Granted it's been what 7 months but Arnold ususally IIRC

Comment

"@bchockeyblog1
                              They have to put Linell back on F. This is bad."

I think the word I'm looking for is shocked.

Comment

Any online video feed of this game? I don't get that Comcast channel in CA.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X