Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UConn 2013-2014: Let the Cavanaugh Era Begin

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I have a high opinion of York too, but Ihave a concern that Cav might be a career assistants . He has been considered for several job in the past but never chosen. the one that troubles me most is the UMass job where they were practically ready to go out onto Route 9 and beg passers by to take it. And the word is that he wasn't being groomed to replace York either. So when he wasn't getting the BC job, and he had missed out on several others, you have to wonder if he is hockey's version of Mark Whipple.
    Certainly better than hiring an assistant who was never mentioned for ANY jobs. Hard to know the details behind every job he was linked to, but for the UMass job...reports I read stated at some point in the process he took his name out of the running. For all we know, he could have had concerns about their commitment to the program.

Frankly, Cav not getting these other jobs is irrelevant when it comes to UConn because those programs were already established programs in the "big" conferences. You probably thought UConn could land Gwozdecky...pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Certainly better than hiring an assistant who was never mentioned for ANY jobs. Hard to know the details behind every job he was linked to, but for the UMass job...reports I read stated at some point in the process he took his name out of the running. For all we know, he could have had concerns about their commitment to the program.

Frankly, Cav not getting these other jobs is irrelevant when it comes to UConn because those programs were already established programs in the "big" conferences. You probably thought UConn could land Gwozdecky...pipe dream.
      Correct on both Cavanaugh/Umass (that whole thing was a joke and Cavanaugh knew it) and Gwozdecky (no real legitimate interest in the position).

The irony is that Cavanaugh took over basically UMass Lite in terms of upside (facilities not as good as Umass) so in hindsight it does seem a bit funny.
      Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I'm always curious when guys "take themselves out of the running" Usually it happens right before the AD publicly acknowledges that he is not under consideration...and right after the AD tells the coach that. If you have interest in a head coaching job, and one gets offered which pays at least reasonably competitively, I don't think you turn those down. there aren't a lot out there, and if you want to be a head coach some day, you either take one when it is offered or you accept that you're going to probably always be an assistant. I am skeptical that Cav took his name out of the consideration for any job. And how's that new head coaching job working out for Gwoz? Now he was well enough established and probably well enough compensated by Denver that it didn't matter if he took a job or not, but if your interest is in staying as a head coach, unless you think Colorado College or somewhere is opening up next year, if you're Gwoz you aren't going to get many more shots. Though he might not care all that much. Cavanaugh wasn't my 1st choice, but I'm willing to be convinced. It starts next week.

Comment

Has the puck dropped yet? Uh ... no, not for UConn? Wake me when it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            I'm always curious when guys "take themselves out of the running" Usually it happens right before the AD publicly acknowledges that he is not under consideration...and right after the AD tells the coach that. If you have interest in a head coaching job, and one gets offered which pays at least reasonably competitively, I don't think you turn those down. there aren't a lot out there, and if you want to be a head coach some day, you either take one when it is offered or you accept that you're going to probably always be an assistant. I am skeptical that Cav took his name out of the consideration for any job. And how's that new head coaching job working out for Gwoz? Now he was well enough established and probably well enough compensated by Denver that it didn't matter if he took a job or not, but if your interest is in staying as a head coach, unless you think Colorado College or somewhere is opening up next year, if you're Gwoz you aren't going to get many more shots. Though he might not care all that much. Cavanaugh wasn't my 1st choice, but I'm willing to be convinced. It starts next week.
            You know absolutely nothing about the head coach positions Coach Cav previously sought after, neither from his side or the hiring school's side, so your opinion is baseless. Please stop the ignorance.

Comment

Hey, doesn't matter what I think. He's the coach now and he gets to actually prove he is the right guy. Starting October 18 in Mankato Minnesota.

Comment

Buccigross opines on whether UCONN is serious about hockey (go to right sidebar of Roy article).
                http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...ng-real-denver
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Cavs will be fine. Knows how to recruit, that's all that matters.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

This article will make Dick happy. Cavs said he's in to win it re:AHA title.
                    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...n_one_last.php

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      This article will make Dick happy. Cavs said he's in to win it re:AHA title.
                      Oh, he's said all the right things since he came. He said the very same thing in the Courant as soon as he was hired. There may not be many of us just yet, but what fans of the Huskies there are dearly want an AHA title before UConn leaves for HE. Winning the MAAC so many years ago was really fun. This would be so much better.

Comment

Rumor has it that UConn is in the running for a couple big time recruits out of Boston. Can't say that's been the case in the past. Granted you have to win the recruits, because there is a world of difference between being in the running and winning them, but good signs the new regime is making progress.

Comment

Falmouth native commits to UConn
                          By Nathan Fournier

PORTLAND – Ben Freeman’s dream has always been to always play in Hockey East.

That dream came true on Friday when he committed to the University of Connecticut for the fall of 2015, which will be the program’s second season in the conference as they make the move to Hockey East from the Atlantic Hockey Conference in 2014.
                          LINK>>>
                          USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

From USHR twitter.

USHR@USHRhockey

6-0/190 lb. Avon Old Farms power forward Liam Murphy, a 10th grader and a '98, has committed to UConn(fall '16). A huge get for the Huskies.

Comment

Looks like Cav is hitting the trail hard from the studs he's bringing in. BTW- the mothership had an article on Cav.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/10/17/cava...nded-approach/

Comment

Tough one last night, sounded like they got much better as the game progressed.

Does anyone know the injury status of the three forwards out of the line-up?

Comment

Working...
                                X