The CHL Spin Doctors are trying to infiltrate MNHS Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CHL Spin Doctors are trying to infiltrate MNHS Hockey

Minnesota High School Hockey has always been rather immune to the poaching efforts of the CHL because of the community based youth system here and the fact that Minnesota is in WHL territory and there really aren't many teams in close proximity. That hasn't stopped the CHL from trying. Take a look at some of the ridiculous propoganda posted in this thread on the MNHS Hockey boards:

Reason to go to the Dub

I sincerely hope people are educating their kids on the CHL's scholarship program. Roughly 32% of kids who play in the CHL take advantage of that program. And unlike what these clowns would like you to believe, it isn't because 60% of the kids who go thru the CHL make an NHL roster. It's more like 10% and many of those that do still need to fall back on an education when their career is over.

Kids should wait to commit. Leave your options open. NCAA hockey isn't the best fit for every kid, and I'm not saying the CHL is a bad choice, but don't limit your options before you know what is out there.

The education packages are NOT comparable!!
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM.

Re: The CHL Spin Doctors are trying to infiltrate MNHS Hockey

I'm sure you'll reach a lot of those MNHS kids with this message in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      He already stalks them on and off the ice. He's got that covered...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I'm sure Wisconsin doesn't need to worry much about this being the hockey void that it is. But remember, your program recruits heavily in Minnesota. Let's see what tune you're singing when some of those recruits you get verbals from change their mind and bolt for the CHL last minute.

As for the CHL, if they want to recruit in Minnesota, that's fine by me. I am confident in our community-based system and the allegiances to the college game it provides. And I am especially confident in how well the NCAA has been preparing kids to play at the next level.

But if the CHL does recruit here, at least be straight forward and honest with kids about what your league has to offer. The fact that only 32% of kids who go thru the CHL ever get to use their scholarship program is alarming to say the least.
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post

I sincerely hope people are educating their kids on the CHL's scholarship program. Roughly 32% of kids who play in the CHL take advantage of that program. And unlike what these clowns would like you to believe, it isn't because 60% of the kids who go thru the CHL make an NHL roster. It's more like 10% and many of those that do still need to fall back on an education when their career is over.

NOT comparable!!
          Perhaps only a third used their education packages years ago but that number is much higher today....Close to 750 CHL alums were either playing in the CIS and Canadian colleges or using their education packages last year. For those that did not, well that is their choice....why they would turn down guaranteed educational money for the minor pro ranks is beyond me but again that is their choice, you really can't blame the OHL head office if X player is intent at trying to earn a living by playing hockey in Europe rather than enroll in a college/university.

In the end, it is all about choices and you ought to respect that choice. I can understand some of your angst as there are starting to be more players from Minnesota interested in the WHL but I wouldn't worry all that much about it since the vast majority of players from your state will continue to decide on the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
            Perhaps only a third used their education packages years ago but that number is much higher today....Close to 750 CHL alums were either playing in the CIS and Canadian colleges or using their education packages last year. For those that did not, well that is their choice....why they would turn down guaranteed educational money for the minor pro ranks is beyond me but again that is their choice, you really can't blame the OHL head office if X player is intent at trying to earn a living by playing hockey in Europe rather than enroll in a college/university.

In the end, it is all about choices and you ought to respect that choice. I can understand some of your angst as there are starting to be more players from Minnesota interested in the WHL but I wouldn't worry all that much about it since the vast majority of players from your state will continue to decide on the NCAA.
            If you read that thread, it's a recent column that this stat was pulled from. There may be a lot of CHL alums playing in CIS, but not many of them are getting assistance from the CHL's scholarship program.

Comment

And it isn't about "angst", and there really hasn't been that big of an increase in Minnesota kids going to the CHL. I am confident in our youth model and the NCAA's ability to prepare kids for the next level. It's the CHL that is worried. The NCAA has seen a rapid growth in the number of players it has been sending to the NHL and the CHL has seen a steady decline.

More NCAA players in the NHL now than ever before and less CHL players now than ever before. 33% of NHL players came from NCAA up from 20% in the 2000 NHL season. The CHL had over 75% of NHL players going back 20-30 years today mid 50's.

What I am upset about is the smoke and mirrors the CHL is using to try and lure kids into it's fold.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Minnesota High School Hockey has always been rather immune to the poaching efforts of the CHL because of the community based youth system here and the fact that Minnesota is in WHL territory and there really aren't many teams in close proximity. That hasn't stopped the CHL from trying. Take a look at some of the ridiculous propoganda posted in this thread on the MNHS Hockey boards:

Reason to go to the Dub

Kids should wait to commit. Leave your options open. NCAA hockey isn't the best fit for every kid, and I'm not saying the CHL is a bad choice, but don't limit your options before you know what is out there.

The education packages are NOT comparable!!
                JDumb is an idiot...why don't you go start 3 more new threads.
                Get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                  JDumb is an idiot...why don't you go start 3 more new threads.
                  Get a life.
                  Did it take you a whole half hour to think up that gem?

Comment

If you read that thread, it's a recent column that this stat was pulled from. There may be a lot of CHL alums playing in CIS, but not many of them are getting assistance from the CHL's scholarship program.
                    Article was from 09 that had to be using 08 numbers (which is 5 years ago) and does not state exactly how it came up with those numbers....can you substantiate your claim of CHL alums not getting assistance from the CHL scholarship program?? According to the CHL's own website, 722 graduates of the CHL were on financial assistance in 2012....http://www.chl.ca/article/chl-awards...c-scholarships

If you have contradictory fact based information, I would love to see it.

Comment

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                        Article was from 09 that had to be using 08 numbers (which is 5 years ago) and does not state exactly how it came up with those numbers....can you substantiate your claim of CHL alums not getting assistance from the CHL scholarship program?? According to the CHL's own website, 722 graduates of the CHL were on financial assistance in 2012....http://www.chl.ca/article/chl-awards...c-scholarships

If you have contradictory fact based information, I would love to see it.
                        722 out of how many? It says 545 awards went to players currently in the league. If that 722 is out of roughly 2,100 former players, than the 32% is still accurate.

Those numbers would be more meaningful in discrediting the figures I sourced if they included the number of kids who did NOT get scholarship help.

Thanks for taking the discussion seriously BTW
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          If this is aimed at me, the YouTube video links don't work on my iPhone, so I don't see them. Just an FYI so that you don't waste any of your "gems" on mocking me

Just guessing because I wouldn't expect you to have anything substantial or relevant to contribute on this subject.
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Have you ever thought maybe the kids who go to the CHL never had any intention to go to college in the first place? Going to college isn't everyone's life goal.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              Have you ever thought maybe the kids who go to the CHL never had any intention to go to college in the first place? Going to college isn't everyone's life goal.
                              Did you even read what I wrote????

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280
                              All I am saying is kids shouldn't rush into decisions. Know what is out there, and understand what you are getting. The CHL's educational package isn't all that it is made out to be. This is a decision you can't undo.
                              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X