The CHL Spin Doctors are trying to infiltrate MNHS Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
    I say God exists....you say prove it...I say prove he doesn't...that's circular logic my friend and it will get you no where....how are you so sure the CHL did not dispute it...can you prove they didn't? (See circular logic)

You stated a number gleamed off of one article written five years ago....five years in hockey is a lifetime first off and secondly if that is all you can find concerning the CHL education package and its participation rates, then your body of evidence is virtually non existent. One dubious source does not make a fact.
    I sourced my info, you're disputing it. If you want to break the circle, then provide proof it isn't accurate. You're so sure it isn't accurate that it shouldn't be tough to find at least one source that discredits that info. Otherwise, how can you be so sure it isn't accurate?

Unless of course, the info is in fact accurate.

Comment

Re: The CHL Spin Doctors are trying to infiltrate MNHS Hockey

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      How many kids know the extent to which NCAA schools are interested in them at 15-16? Not many. Certainly not ANY Pewees - In Minnesota OR Michigan.

Again, misrepresenting what I say. By "options" I mean which schools are interested and what type of scholarships are available.
      You understand very little of the recruiting process my friend....actually all of the elite kids know who or who isn't interested by the time they are 15-16. My point, however, was that even young hockey players understand what the CHL and NCAA options are and how the NCAA closes the door on the CHL route...no one is being taken by surprise by some evil CHL emissary running amok in the land of small lakes.

Comment

I sourced my info, you're disputing it. If you want to break the circle, then provide proof it isn't accurate. You're so sure it isn't accurate that it shouldn't be tough to find at least one source that discredits that info. Otherwise, how can you be so sure it isn't accurate?

Unless of course, the info is in fact accurate.
        I sourced the actual number of CHL players taking advantage of their CHL education package....I further sourced articles touting the benefits of the CHL plan...you provided a link to a rabid CHL hater who quoted a number written from an article but where is that article in full describing how this percentage was obtained?...please break out your source so we can examine its merit and determine whether it is a fraud or not...if you cannot then your source is worthless.

Comment

You understand very little of the recruiting process my friend....actually all of the elite kids know who or who isn't interested by the time they are 15-16. My point, however, was that even young hockey players understand what the CHL and NCAA options are and how the NCAA closes the door on the CHL route...no one is being taken by surprise by some evil CHL emissary running amok in the land of small lakes.
          No kid knows the full extent of what NCAA options are available at that age. Many programs are very hesitant to commit (talented as he may be) a full ride to a kid at that age. And even more schools are unable to commit to an entry year to a kid that far out.

And assuming the 32% number is accurate (and I have seen no evidence to dispute it), I don't think enou kids are fully aware of the implications of all the variables that go into the decision.

Comment

I sourced the actual number of CHL players taking advantage of their CHL education package....I further sourced articles touting the benefits of the CHL plan...you provided a link to a rabid CHL hater who quoted a number written from an article but where is that article...please break out your source so we can examine its merit and determine whether it is a fraud or not...if you cannot then your source is worthless.
            You gave me the # of scholarships offered, and I do thank you for that. However, you didn't provide me with the number of kids who didn't get scholarship benefits, so there is very little in regards to context in which to fully understand the relevancy of that number.

Easy fix - Have the CHL publish how many kids "pass" on scholarships. Or if it's easier, the percentage of kids who actually get scholarships. College Hockey releases graduation rates and grade point averages.

I'm sure CHL won't mind doing that. Unless of course that number makes them look bad
            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

"You understand very little of the recruiting process my friend"

"Rabid hater"

Both only hurt your position. Let's be adults here. I could just as easily call you a CHL apologist and question your understanding of the process.

Comment

Engage in the discussion and elaborate, or get ignored.
                *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9512-294869_544790698893397_1025832748_n.jpg******
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

No kid knows the full extent of what NCAA options are available at that age. Many programs are very hesitant to commit (talented as he may be) a full ride to a kid at that age. And even more schools are unable to commit to an entry year to a kid that far out.

And assuming the 32% number is accurate (and I have seen no evidence to dispute it), I don't think enou kids are fully aware of the implications of all the variables that go into the decision.
                  The majority of elite kids know what their true options are by the age of 16....heck there are already 18 kids 16 or younger that have committed to NCAA schools...schools contact them through bird dogs around the ages of 14-15...so yes they know where they stand. Now it is different for those not considered blue chip but even they know what to expect...

You gave me the # of scholarships offered, and I do thank you for that. However, you didn't provide me with the number of kids who didn't get scholarship benefits, so there is very little in regards to context in which to fully understand the relevancy of that number.
                  All you have provided is a percentage based on one source that I'm calling you out on...where is it...post it so we can see how this reporter determined the number...what is taking you so long..if it is accurate, surely you must be able to find supporting evidence..unless of course it is inaccurate and no such support exists...

Easy fix - Have the CHL publish how many kids "pass" on scholarships. I'm sure they won't mind. Unless of course that number makes them look bad
                  Sure as soon as the NCAA publishes how many of its players are actually on full rides and how many are writing checks to the tune of tens of thousands...and of course how many of their players graduate on time...unless of course that number makes them look bad.

Comment

jnacc,

Have you met Dubbie before?

We all see that you are right and he is as always... well... wrong.

He'll never admit it and will continue to move the goal posts or ask you to prove that he is wrong which you will never be able to do to his satisfaction no matter how much evidence you present.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      jnacc,

Have you met Dubbie before?

We all see that you are right and he is as always... well... wrong.

He'll never admit it and will continue to move the goal posts or ask you to prove that he is wrong which you will never be able to do to his satisfaction no matter how much evidence you present.
                      All the while stressing that everyone be adults about it when he isn't and can never be.
                      He reminds me of the kid who doesn't want to hear he's wrong by sticking his fingers in his ears while screaming "la la la, I can't hear you."
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

No kid knows the full extent of what NCAA options are available at that age.
                        How do you know that? If the NCAA Eligibility Center, otherwise known as the NCAA clearinghouse, is recommending HS students who are prospective student athletes register at 16-17 years old, that's a fairly good indication that HS students need to be astute enough to begin exploring their options.

There are also lots of available resources today like College Hockey Inc. for example, as well as parents, coaches and associates to assist a proactive HS athlete in making the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          How do you know that? If the NCAA Eligibility Center, otherwise known as the NCAA clearinghouse, is recommending HS students who are prospective student athletes register at 16-17 years old, that's a fairly good indication that HS students need to be astute enough to begin exploring their options.

There are also lots of available resources today like College Hockey Inc. for example, as well as parents, coaches and associates to assist a proactive HS athlete in making the right decision.
                          From my personal experience, many of the kids I played with in the spring and fall, as well as myself filled out our clearinghouse information at age 16. The best advice we got was from our parents and coaches. Kids that have the potential to play elite level hockey are almost always coached by people with fantastic connections and experience making the same decisions we were faced with.

No message board is going to play much of an impact, if any, on a decision.

How many kids know by the end of their minor year, age 16 or 17 where they're going to school? (Non athletes) my guess is a fairly large percentage..
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

The majority of elite kids know what their true options are by the age of 16....heck there are already 18 kids 16 or younger that have committed to NCAA schools...schools contact them through bird dogs around the ages of 14-15...so yes they know where they stand. Now it is different for those not considered blue chip but even they know what to expect...

All you have provided is a percentage based on one source that I'm calling you out on...where is it...post it so we can see how this reporter determined the number...what is taking you so long..if it is accurate, surely you must be able to find supporting evidence..unless of course it is inaccurate and no such support exists...

Sure as soon as the NCAA publishes how many of its players are actually on full rides and how many are writing checks to the tune of tens of thousands...and of course how many of their players graduate on time...unless of course that number makes them look bad.
                            I sourced where that percentage came from. You've given no evidence that the percentage is wrong and it was never retracted so the CHL never disputed it.

It's really easy. Give me the number of kids who didn't get scholarships so that we can put the number of scholarships into perspective. It's not that hard.

Yes, there are kids that have already accepted scholarship offers by 16, but I think those players are in the minority. It would be interesting to take a look at Heisenberg's recruiting page and see how young the average college hockey player is when he verbally commits. My guess is that age is above 16 years old.

The NCAA allows teams to offer 18 scholarships. And every player that plays NCAA Hockey has to be enrolled in class and maintain a certain grade point average.

The big difference is that 100% of the kids who are offered a scholarship by an NCAA school at the time they make the NCAA vs CHL decision use that scholarship, but it appears as though only 32% of the kids who go to the CHL actually use their scholarship benefits.

Yes, not all kids who play NCAA hockey receive scholarships, but those players know up-front that they won't be getting scholarships to play. Before they make their decisions. I am questioning whether all the players that go thru the CHL fully understand the CHL's scholarship program because allegedly everyone who plays in the CHL is eligible to receive a scholarship, but an alarmingly few actually use them.

Again, it's not about which route is better. That depends on the kid and the situation. This is about kids fully understanding the decisions they are making and being fully aware of all of their options.
                            Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-31-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Harley - I never said kids aren't aware of any of their options at 15-16. I said very few if any are aware of ALL of their options at 15-16.

How many 15 year old kids do you think know exactly how many schools are willing to offer them scholarships and when exactly they'll be able to bring them in?

For the elite kids like Joey Anderson or Ryan Lindgren, maybe. But the majority of kids aren't getting scholarship offers that young.

Take a look at schools like BSU, Mankato, Tech, etc.... How many kids on their rosters were offered scholarships at 15-16?

If you want a specific example, let's use Paul Bittner. 1996-born kid. Plays for Portland. How many scholarship offers do you think he had when he committed to the CHL? He's a good player, but certainly not elite. Are you suggesting he likely wouldn't have had more scholarship offers on the table at 17-18 than he had at 15-16? If so, I disagree.

Not saying he made the wrong choice. He did what he felt was best for him. But I don't think he had a full idea of what options he would have if he took the NCAA route as a 15-16 year old.

There are other examples too. How about Corbett or Walker. Neither kid has been drafted yet. Will be interesting to see what they choose to do once they have aged out of the CHL and see what their experiences are.
                              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                From my personal experience, many of the kids I played with in the spring and fall, as well as myself filled out our clearinghouse information at age 16. The best advice we got was from our parents and coaches. Kids that have the potential to play elite level hockey are almost always coached by people with fantastic connections and experience making the same decisions we were faced with.

No message board is going to play much of an impact, if any, on a decision.

How many kids know by the end of their minor year, age 16 or 17 where they're going to school? (Non athletes) my guess is a fairly large percentage..
                                My personal experience is a bit different. Not saying you are completely wrong, but I don't agree that a majority of kids who play college hockey have scholarship offers at 15-16.

That said, if a kid at 15-16 has a number of scholarship offers to consider, and understands completely what is on the table with the NCAA and CHL route, then the decision comes down to what they think is best for them.

I do think it's concerning to see figures out there that show so few kids using their educational benefits. I'd really like to see an up-to-date figure on the % of CHL kids who are utilizing the scholarship program. If it's still as low as 32%, I'd really like to know why that is and why something hasn't been done to change that.
                                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-31-2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X