Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    FYI Eaves did cry about the rink size in print at least. BC's rink and LaBahn are nearly the same size.
    Well I missed that and that is a poor excuse, IMO.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      FYI Eaves did cry about the rink size in print at least. BC's rink and LaBahn are nearly the same size.
      No, he didn't. Baggot mentioned ice size, not Eaves.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Now that you play each B1G team home and away you should be able to see a difference on big sheet (home) vs small sheet (away, except MN). Since the Badgers practice on the small sheet, I would think they struggle more at home where the shooting angles and passing lanes are different, than on the road. Meaning they might have cleaner or more fluid games on smaller sheets than big sheets. They'd still have more experience than the former CCHA teams on the bigger rink. When they play teams like the Gophers do they get a chance to practice at Kohl Center?

When Mariucci Arena opened, it was one of the first arenas with the larger sheet and it was an advantage because so few teams played on one. As more and more teams in the WCHA moved to Olympic sheets it was rarely mentioned.
        I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
        -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Quote from your blog:
          "Two of our greatest fears coming into the game was to play our first game on a small sheet against a quick team, and a team that was fired up to play for their coach," Eaves said. "Our hope was to survive the first period, and we didn't."

Maybe Baggot said something that spurred the above comment, but that is right out of Eaves' mouth.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Quote from your blog:
            "Two of our greatest fears coming into the game was to play our first game on a small sheet against a quick team, and a team that was fired up to play for their coach," Eaves said. "Our hope was to survive the first period, and we didn't."

Maybe Baggot said something that spurred the above comment, but that is right out of Eaves' mouth.
            I forgot about that, to be honest. I had just went back and read the WSJ gamer looking for Eaves crying about small ice.

Either way, I see no excuses or crying about ice size. Is playing BC on a small sheet a concern for any team? Yes. Did it prove to be a serious issue vs. Wisconsin? Yes. I'm not sure why Eaves is banished from mentioning BC's strengths relative to rink size. I know he's certainly not crying about it. Making a mountain out of a mole hill here with this.

Comment

I forgot about that, to be honest. I had just went back and read the WSJ gamer looking for Eaves crying about small ice.

Either way, I see no excuses or crying about ice size. Is playing BC on a small sheet a concern for any team? Yes. Did it prove to be a serious issue vs. Wisconsin? Yes. I'm not sure why Eaves is banished from mentioning BC's strengths relative to rink size. I know he's certainly not crying about it. Making a mountain out of a mole hill here with this.
              Historically he's had concerns about the small ice sheet, and still does, but I will admit my use of the word "crying" was a little overboard. I originally posted that Saturday AM, I'm not sure any UW fan was totally in their right mind at that time.

Your film study shed a lot of light on the BC fiasco (nice job), I'd just like to watch the game myself with the dvr and see in the whole flow of things what when wrong.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Historically he's had concerns about the small ice sheet, and still does, but I will admit my use of the word "crying" was a little overboard. I originally posted that Saturday AM, I'm not sure any UW fan was totally in their right mind at that time.

Your film study shed a lot of light on the BC fiasco (nice job), I'd just like to watch the game myself with the dvr and see in the whole flow of things what when wrong.
                I'd love to see a replay of this game. The pictures and break-down are great but it doesn't give a sense to me as to how great Boston College is right now. Didn't they force these errors on UW by playing so uptempo UW couldn't handle it or was caught flat-footed all night?
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  I'd love to see a replay of this game. The pictures and break-down are great but it doesn't give a sense to me as to how great Boston College is right now. Didn't they force these errors on UW by playing so uptempo UW couldn't handle it or was caught flat-footed all night?
                  Man, just imagine how great Michigan must be, since they beat BC 3-1 in week 1. We should just give them the NC right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
                    Man, just imagine how great Michigan must be, since they beat BC 3-1 in week 1. We should just give them the NC right now.
                    really? so the post you quote pushes you to make that comment?

maybe you should try not being a smart-***

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

It's not exactly easy to explain how it looked in person without it sounding smartalecky or hyperbolic. When I say they looked lost or like they hadn't played together before, those aren't hacky expressions, they're just the best way I can describe what it was like to see them so out of sync and so clueless-looking. To have heard about the senior-led team and then watch them fail to control a puck or simple pass was enraging and difficult to understand.

In all honestly, it was a complete and utter shock for most of the first period - I didn't get to go to the NMU series, but I had certainly drank the Kool-Aid, so watching what unfolded in Boston right of the gate was a bit of an out-of-body experience - as though I couldn't actually understand what was happening. It was surreal and in retrospect I feel silly saying that, but I was just kind of silent and still and having a hard time understanding what was actually happening. How as the #2 team, that'd I'd heard so many great things about for a few weeks at that point, looking like they were, you know?

I'm not sure how else to describe the play but lazy and inept. That's not to say the team is lazy, but the passes didn't have follow through, the lanes they skated weren't completed, pockets were consistently picked. Presumably you get away with those sorts of things against slower teams, but against BC, they Badgers just literally were tee-ing up the puck for the Eagles over and over. They were so completely unprepared for what BC brought to them that it amplified all the cracks and made them look like they weren't even attempting to play good/better hockey.

You know how they say you know you're fluent in a language when you think in that language - you don't have to mentally translate anything? It looked like BC was fluent and we had to stop and take the extra seconds to translate back to English, first. There was a constant delay on the Badgers' side, as though they needed to think through the next play or pass or move and in that time, BC would pick their pocket and take the puck the other direction. It's like BC knew what UW was going to do before even UW knew they were going to do it, much less before they did it.

I know that doesn't help much and you just really want to see tape for yourself, but I just wanted to clarify that while the phrases being used to describe the game were somewhat cliched, they weren't being used as throwaway lines.
                      It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                        It's not exactly easy to explain how it looked in person without it sounding smartalecky or hyperbolic. When I say they looked lost or like they hadn't played together before, those aren't hacky expressions, they're just the best way I can describe what it was like to see them so out of sync and so clueless-looking. To have heard about the senior-led team and then watch them fail to control a puck or simple pass was enraging and difficult to understand.

In all honestly, it was a complete and utter shock for most of the first period - I didn't get to go to the NMU series, but I had certainly drank the Kool-Aid, so watching what unfolded in Boston right of the gate was a bit of an out-of-body experience - as though I couldn't actually understand what was happening. It was surreal and in retrospect I feel silly saying that, but I was just kind of silent and still and having a hard time understanding what was actually happening. How as the #2 team, that'd I'd heard so many great things about for a few weeks at that point, looking like they were, you know?

I'm not sure how else to describe the play but lazy and inept. That's not to say the team is lazy, but the passes didn't have follow through, the lanes they skated weren't completed, pockets were consistently picked. Presumably you get away with those sorts of things against slower teams, but against BC, they Badgers just literally were tee-ing up the puck for the Eagles over and over. They were so completely unprepared for what BC brought to them that it amplified all the cracks and made them look like they weren't even attempting to play good/better hockey.

You know how they say you know you're fluent in a language when you think in that language - you don't have to mentally translate anything? It looked like BC was fluent and we had to stop and take the extra seconds to translate back to English, first. There was a constant delay on the Badgers' side, as though they needed to think through the next play or pass or move and in that time, BC would pick their pocket and take the puck the other direction. It's like BC knew what UW was going to do before even UW knew they were going to do it, much less before they did it.

I know that doesn't help much and you just really want to see tape for yourself, but I just wanted to clarify that while the phrases being used to describe the game were somewhat cliched, they weren't being used as throwaway lines.
                        thanks man, that's exactly the type of feedback (honest and to the point) I'm looking for (since I'm unable to find the game to watch).

it's early I know but that was a horrible weekend for UW especially given all the hype about "older team" etc. they just didn't show up evidently. hopefully that doesn't portend other things.

Tonight I see BU was defeated by MSU and MU defeated them the night before that. interesting results.

Comment

thanks man, that's exactly the type of feedback (honest and to the point) I'm looking for (since I'm unable to find the game to watch).

it's early I know but that was a horrible weekend for UW especially given all the hype about "older team" etc. they just didn't show up evidently. hopefully that doesn't portend other things.

Tonight I see BU was defeated by MSU and MU defeated them the night before that. interesting results.

Gotta chill Solo.

Long way to go. Boys probably reading their own clippings a bit too much.

I wouldn't wanna be Lake St. at this point. We're gonna come out on fire.

Lotta talent on this team and if it comes together - which I fully expect - we'll be quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Gotta chill Solo.

Long way to go. Boys probably reading their own clippings a bit too much.

I wouldn't wanna be Lake St. at this point. We're gonna come out on fire.

Lotta talent on this team and if it comes together - which I fully expect - we'll be quite good.
                            true Gurt, and I will chill with some Labatt's (err paint thinner) tonight and The Clash - Sandinista!

but yeah, hope you're right and the team comes together, I'd love nothing more than for them to put together a 24 win season or better and get to the FF

Comment

Dougherty sure looks good (UND tonight).

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Dougherty sure looks good (UND tonight).
                                He's a great player. Was hoping the Gophers would land him when Vannelli left. He'll have a good college career. Great puck mover.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X