Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    As far as our dances are concerned, that's during breaks in the action, just like everywhere else. The chants and cheers that get the best response are the ones that are most directly tied to the game at hand in some creative way. It's just something that many fans find enjoyable, and students will laugh at silly things. There's kind of a family vibe in our student section, way more than at basketball games ("family" with regards to camaraderie/togetherness, not necessarily language ). A basic but passionate "let's go red" has a different vibe, but is still enjoyable in its own way. Cheering to encourage good things to happen rather than only reacting after they happen helps keep up a good atmosphere even if the home team is losing. Also, something I've found is that people are more likely to be vocal in reacting to or encouraging big plays on the ice if they're mentally warmed up with some fun chants. The reason EODS and I wrote a lot about vulgarities and extra little things is that there are some annoyances that have become prominent, and there are alternatives that we prefer. As far as going to the hockey game, it's not really a big deal, like the walls of text might indicate. I certainly agree that the main reason for going is the hockey game itself. I might not be able to mentally analyze the Badgers power play (or lack thereof) quite as well from in the stands as opposed to on TV, but I don't really feel extra goofy chants and cheers take away from the watching of the game.
    Fair enough. To each his own I guess. My experiences in Madison watching games (I'll admit it has been a while) have been a little different. The cheers and dances weren't just limited to breaks in the action and it always seemed like those doing the chants and dances during the action weren't as focused on the games.

I don't understand the context of your "sieve" chant in some occasions, but I understand why you do the chant when you do. I always thought the "we want more" chant was unique and got the crowd involved. And I understand the timing of that chant too. But the dancing and chanting during power plays, etc... alyways seemed a little bit like forced atmosphere that took away from actually watching the nuances of the game to me.

Just an outsider's perspective. No right or wrong answers. Appreciate the honest discussion

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
        Fair enough. To each his own I guess. My experiences in Madison watching games (I'll admit it has been a while) have been a little different. The cheers and dances weren't just limited to breaks in the action and it always seemed like those doing the chants and dances during the action weren't as focused on the games.

I don't understand the context of your "sieve" chant in some occasions, but I understand why you do the chant when you do. I always thought the "we want more" chant was unique and got the crowd involved. And I understand the timing of that chant too. But the dancing and chanting during power plays, etc... alyways seemed a little bit like forced atmosphere that took away from actually watching the nuances of the game to me.

Just an outsider's perspective. No right or wrong answers. Appreciate the honest discussion
        I like that thing they do at Mariucci about half way through the first when half the crowd listens to NPR in unison on their way to the rink.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I like that thing they do at Mariucci about half way through the first when half the crowd listens to NPR in unison on their way to the rink.
          I've heard that in Toronto, the Maple Leafs fans have been known to do a really cool choreographed thing where the Air Canada Centre fills up from back to front, then empties from front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

The chants from the student section and various dances done adds to the depth of the experience at hockey games. Its part of what you get when you go to the game vs. watch it on TV or in a bar. It doesn't take away from the game. If you come and want to watch the game exclusively and focus on the finer points of hockey, great. However, not everyone else does. This gives less intense fans a reason to come to the game and adds to their enjoyment as well.
              I think this is another reason attendance is declining. Slowly but surely, the overall experience of going to the game is becoming to solely watch the hockey game. The funny chants and dances are becoming less pronounced. More piped in music, less of hearing the band play. No more meeting 10 other friends between periods to talk about the game, have a beer, make plans for after the game. Or if the game sucks, spend most of third period in the beer garden with your friends. Now we hardly see people we know at games anymore. There was so much to do at games back at the Great Dane, it was always full and you could sell your tickets easily.

Now you sit in your seat quietly, watch the game, not being able to hear the students, having to watch the video screen replay the game during breaks while texting friends on their plans for later. If you want something to drink it takes the entire intermission to stand in line and get it. Or you stand on the concourse and watch people walk by hoping someone you know can stop and say hi for a minute or two. The experience of going to the game has actually become the same experience of staying at home and watching the game. If you are more of a casual fan, its more fun to sit in a bar with friends and watch it on TV than it is to be at the KC. In order to correct the decline in attendance, they will have to look at this as well as have a good product on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280
                They watch the game when it's being played though.
                get out the Wisconsin thread please.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280
                  They watch the game when it's being played though.
                  1. Watching the game, noting the finer points of play and cheering for your team are not all mutually exclusive. Only an uptight **** would see it any other way.
                  2. It amazes me that not only do you continue to think that you have anything of value to contribute to this thread, but that you think any one of us actually gives a **** about anything that you have to say.

In other words, I repeat:

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    1. Watching the game, noting the finer points of play and cheering for your team are not all mutually exclusive. Only an uptight **** would see it any other way.
                    2. It amazes me that not only do you continue to think that you have anything of value to contribute to this thread, but that you think any one of us actually gives a **** about anything that you have to say.

In other words, I repeat:

We're all entitled to our opinions. I understand and respect your point of view. I just don't agree. I think sometimes fans come to games and are more interested in the dances and cheers than watching the games. These tend to be the fans that don't really understand the games (in most cases, not all). Not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just something I've never understood. For me, watching a hockey game is fun enough and missing any of the game because I'm dancing or cheering would take away from my experience.

Comment

We're all entitled to our opinions. I understand and respect your point of view. I just don't agree. I think sometimes fans come to games and are more interested in the dances and cheers than watching the games. These tend to be the fans that don't really understand the games (in most cases, not all). Not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just something I've never understood. For me, watching a hockey game is fun enough and missing any of the game because I'm dancing or cheering would take away from my experience.
                      You've stated your opinion (countless times). You haven't found anyone who watches the majority of their college hockey games in the Kohl Center to agree with you. Restating your opinion hasn't been persuasive. Move on - this horse is already dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilli View Post
                        You've stated your opinion (countless times). You haven't found anyone who watches the majority of their college hockey games in the Kohl Center to agree with you. Restating your opinion hasn't been persuasive. Move on - this horse is already dead.
                        I was discussing the subject with WiscDC. If you don't care, then don't reply. I'll gladly move on to a different subject, but to be clear, it's been responses like yours that have kept this discussion alive.

Comment

For me, watching a hockey game is fun enough and missing any of the game because I'm dancing or cheering would take away from my experience.
                          Okay, this is how I know that, in addition to having nothing to contribute to this conversation, you are actually completely out of your element here and have no idea what you're talking about.

Name one "dance" done by the student section that happens while the puck is in play. (I'll ignore the cheering stuff, because if you can't watch a game while you cheer, you might have issues with your cognitive abilities.)

Comment

I was discussing the subject with WiscDC. If you don't care, then don't reply. I'll gladly move on to a different subject, but to be clear, it's been responses like yours that have kept this discussion alive.

No, your thinly veiled criticisms of anything different than the way Minnesota does everything are always the centerpiece of your "discussions."

You're not interested in "discussing" anything. You're just here to stir **** because you are pathetic with apparently no other interests in life and nothing better to do.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

How long before the mods remove the troll from this thread like the recruiting thread where he added nothing of value and only stirred the pot?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                                How long before the mods remove the troll from this thread like the recruiting thread where he added nothing of value and only stirred the pot?

Report him. Every time.

I'm all for the back and forth that happens here between fan bases and am an active participant during series threads.

Dubbie's just a troll though. His own fan base can't stand him and he rarely even posts in their threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X