Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Whatever they are going to end up doing, I can't believe it wasn't done prior to opening weekend. Now the athletic department is going to take 2 weeks of abuse prior to the next home game. They might want to consider making some renderings public so the fans have some kind of idea what they are planning.

Either that or it was intentional to see if people noticed the lack of banners and can then go back and put them up to appease the masses.

Strange decision either way...

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Wow! I do believe Barry just shat on your hockey program. The term "disrespect" is way overused these days but it sure fits the UW athletic dept. Pathetic.
      "Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life."

Comment

You could at least have Phil waive miniature NC banners several times a night. Five, Six, we want more!!

Comment

Justin Doherty, UW Associate AD

We have been working for months to try and find a way to recognize the NCAA titles, conference regular-season and tournament titles, Final/Frozen Fours, etc. each with their own banner in the Kohl Center. It's well over 50 banners. We've looked at situating them at all angles and there are just too many. We could certainly stay with what we've had, but we want to give more substantial recognition to each championship rather than have one banner listing multiple years on it. In other words, we want each year to be more visible. We also want to have the hockey years highlighted during a hockey game and basketball during basketball games.

The second level façade of the Kohl Center is mostly gray concrete. We decided to look at using that to recognize the championship years I've mentioned above. We think we have a system designed that will display the hockey years during a hockey game and the basketball years during basketball games. We think it will add a lot to the look of the facility (replacing the concrete with some color and championship recognition) as well as giving a lot of championship years much more visibility than they've had. This will be physical signage, not virtual or LED signage.

It has taken a while to get to this point. We didn't know if it would work, which is why we haven't said anything. Obviously had hoped to have it up by now, but it'll be a few more weeks. If you still think this is stupid, then you are certainly free to your opinion. But I did want you to have the whole, accurate story. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            ...The second level façade of the Kohl Center is mostly gray concrete...
            Dang...I've always wished that that facade could be used for Coliseum-style banners. If you restrict the size so it doesn't obstruct the view of those in the 200s, I don't see any problems with that. Oh well.

Comment

It's really not that difficult.

1) Banners for the national championship teams. They deserve it.

2) Banners that have multiple listings for the conference and tourney titles.

3) Duplicate it if you want on the second ring.

Solved. Where do I send my resume?

Nice of the mouth piece to respond, but it's still "stupid" to remove the national championship banners.

Comment

Why the hell would you not leave the banners up until you actually have a solution for a new method of acknowledging prior accomplishments? And yes...national championship banners should hang from the rafters period.

Comment

That's it - time to make our own banners.

Comment

This banner situation is the kind of decision that really gets under the skin of fans (which has been obvious today). Why wasn't this something that they saved for this " fan advisory council" to discuss?

What kind of decisions or input are they looking for from this kind of group? Obviously nothing important. Seems like another PR stunt to make it look like they "care about what our fans think".

Obviously in this situation, they do not. To our glorious AD, everything needs to be like football/Camp Randall.

There has to be a compromise here somewhere, doesn't there?

And by the way, if you gave 2 ***** about hockey you would have made sure your new (whatever they're called) were at least up before the 1st home series. But no, they weren't. Think that would have ever happened at Camp Randall before the 1st home FB game?

Comment

This banner situation is the kind of decision that really gets under the skin of fans (which has been obvious today). Why wasn't this something that they saved for this " fan advisory council" to discuss?

What kind of decisions or input are they looking for from this kind of group? Obviously nothing important. Seems like another PR stunt to make it look like they "care about what our fans think".

Obviously in this situation, they do not. To our glorious AD, everything needs to be like football/Camp Randall.

There has to be a compromise here somewhere, doesn't there?

And by the way, if you gave 2 ***** about hockey you would have made sure your new (whatever they're called) were at least up before the 1st home series. But no, they weren't. Think that would have ever happened at Camp Randall before the 1st home FB game?

Comment

Sorry for the double post....just extra steamed today

Comment

Originally posted by SatNightFever View Post
                          Sorry for the double post....just extra steamed today

Well, you need to work on that post count.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            That's it - time to make our own banners.
                            Now you sound like St. Cloud

Comment

Hey Mr. Doherty, yep I still think its stupid....

National Championships need to have banners hung in the rafters. Sprucing up the second deck is fine for conference stuff, but national championships keep in the rafters. Some of us don’t really care about how football does it....
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                It's really not that difficult.

1) Banners for the national championship teams. They deserve it.

2) Banners that have multiple listings for the conference and tourney titles.

3) Duplicate it if you want on the second ring.

Solved. Where do I send my resume?

Nice of the mouth piece to respond, but it's still "stupid" to remove the national championship banners.
                                Especially to remove them before this awesome new display is even up. So the building will have nothing for a few weeks now? Add that to the poor planning list. But after reading the response it still sounds like they are going to change somehow if they are "highlighted" for each sport. Does that mean one of those rotating signs that changes for each sport.

They have to cave eventually given the massive outcry. I'm quite sure the AD's office didn't expect to have to respond to this.

Comment

Working...
                                X