Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

so let me belabor the point. I can't effing stand Barry Alvarez. Football can stick it (I didn't feel this way until I realized Barry Alvarez cares solely about football as an AD with Basketball as a distant 25th place after football 1-24), I don't care if they go 2-9, but messing with Hockey or better put: NEGLECTING the Hockey team gets my attention

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...ously-expected

Barry can take a flying **** at the moon. the sooner he's gone as AD the better. Let Mark Johnson become the AD, then we're talkin!
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVI: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Tolerate The BTHC

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Really? Barry is clearly the more destructive of the two. While JDUBBS can destroy good threads and conversation on USCHO like no other, Barry can level an entire collegiate sport.

Melodrama aside, who would you rather spend an evening out with?

I'd say, who would you rather have a beer with, but I'm told that Barry is a cognac & cigar kinda guy and apparently your boy likes schnapps.

Hmmmm...

Cognac, cigars, limo rides, the Madison Club and high class hookers.

-or-

Schnapps, a couch in mom's basement with a poster of Herb Brooks over it and a scrap book from the 1940 AAU championship season.

Tough call.

I suppose this is like chumming for your boy, but the season's almost here, so he was bound to be by sooner or later anyway.
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

On another note, what am I gonna do without photo embeds?

Why Board, WHY!!!!
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Melodrama aside, who would you rather spend an evening out with?

I'd say, who would you rather have a beer with, but I'm told that Barry is a cognac & cigar kinda guy and apparently your boy likes schnapps.

Hmmmm...

Cognac, cigars, limo rides, the Madison Club and high class hookers.

-or-

Schnapps, a couch in mom's basement with a poster of Herb Brooks over it and a scrap book from the 1940 AAU championship season.

Tough call.

I suppose this is like chumming for your boy, but the season's almost here, so he was bound to be by sooner or later anyway.
          Point taken. Point taken. I can admit when I might be wrong.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Point taken. Point taken. I can admit when I might be wrong.
            Sorry but I think his point is moot. I'd gladly sacrifice a night in someone's mom's basement with schnapps to save college hockey as we know it. Maybe even two.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              so let me belabor the point. I can't effing stand Barry Alvarez. Football can stick it (I didn't feel this way until I realized Barry Alvarez cares solely about football as an AD with Basketball as a distant 25th place after football 1-24), I don't care if they go 2-9, but messing with Hockey or better put: NEGLECTING the Hockey team gets my attention

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...ously-expected

Barry can take a flying **** at the moon. the sooner he's gone as AD the better. Let Mark Johnson become the AD, then we're talkin!
              I hate to jump on this bandwagon, but I definitely have felt this more and more. As a student, the amount of football that gets shoved down my throat is insane. "Don't forget to set your alarm tomorrow! FOOTBALL TICKETS go on sale!!!!!! (Also men's hockey tickets are available.) ARE YOU EXCITED TO GET TO CAMP RANDALL STADIUM?!?"

The football tickets would sell out anyway, but I'd rather the fans who care be more likely to get tickets. I missed out my freshman year, and it cost me extra to get in. Meanwhile, idiots in the back of sections J, K, and L watch the 2nd and 3rd quarter and waste their money and their spot. Hockey and basketball tickets don't sell out anymore, yet it's still FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL. They have nothing to gain from that. How about showing students the WCHA Tournament Championship highlights? I try to spread links around, but that's just me. Go to the Wisconsin Badgers facebook page right now. It's all stuff about the ASU game. Volleyball played three matches this past weekend! More popular sports will be talked about more, but when it's in the athletic department's control, they can promote the other sports. Not doing that is mind-blowingly stupid.

Once you get down to #25, as you said, you get basketball. They've been so involved with student basketball tickets (rewards systems, splitting the packages in 2011-12, stuff like that) because the Grateful Red are a tepid, thin bunch. I understand they need to do this, but they still end up creating buzz among casual fans. Why can't they do it with hockey? Maybe it's because being shown Ben Brust's three-point shot against Michigan or Sam Dekker screaming after a slam-dunk says more than a couple pictures of Mark Zengerle. I wrote an email and I included it in my gameday survey they sent me - show something more than a generic picture of a hockey player at the football game. I hope I see something else when I'm at Camp Randall for that game against Purdue. (I'll arrive very early and leave after the fifth quarter, unlike the aforementioned yahoos.) I've gotten tons of emails reminding me to buy my basketball tickets. "Wake up early!" You don't have to, but at least they're trying to make it so you have to. (I already bought mine today in the priority window.) Honestly, selling hockey tickets on the same day as football tickets may not be the best decision. Stagger it by a day.

Other sports experiences could be so much better, but they have to be promoted by fans. I can't go to each freshman entering UW and tell him or her about what makes Wisconsin hockey games so special. They need to go. They're taking their fans for granted, except football fans, which doesn't line up with ticket sales.

I'll applaud Alvarez politely, more-so if it's specific to one of his old football teams (so I'm applauding the former head coach, not AD), but I won't deify him like most fans.

I encourage other Badger fans to send my comments to the athletic department. If you copy-paste, frame it so that they don't think it's one person spamming them, but multiple people in agreement - so strongly so that they bothered to write in.

Edit: I will add some positive stuff after class.

Edit2: I feel like I should give some credit. At the very least, Alvarez has talked about his "23 varsity sports" before. Also, I must acknowledge that this isn't just Alvarez, but I have a hard time seeing how there wouldn't be a connection between our complaints and Barry Alvarez specifically. This past summer, at least they've shown a little sign of life when it comes to hockey. The young alumni tickets are different. They started a CreaseCreatures twitter account, which I like, but how on Earth does the UWBadgers account not link to it?!? The above rant still applies, but these little steps seem to indicate that there is more to come.
              Last edited by WiscDC; 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                So wouldn't they focus on other teams?
                Fair point.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  You guys know JDUBBS and mnstate0fhockey are the same person, right?
                  I admit I've never seen them in the same room together, but....

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    I admit I've never seen them in the same room together, but....
                    Ask him. While you're at it, ask him about the 7 fake twitter accounts he used to harass recruits that didn't choose Minnesota (Shane Gersich) on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Edit: I will add some positive stuff after class.

Edit2: I feel like I should give some credit. At the very least, Alvarez has talked about his "23 varsity sports" before. Also, I must acknowledge that this isn't just Alvarez, but I have a hard time seeing how there wouldn't be a connection between our complaints and Barry Alvarez specifically. This past summer, at least they've shown a little sign of life when it comes to hockey. The young alumni tickets are different. They started a CreaseCreatures twitter account, which I like, but how on Earth does the UWBadgers account not link to it?!? The above rant still applies, but these little steps seem to indicate that there is more to come.
                      good post man,... the quote in my signature on top of what I've written below says it all as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't imagine (until Alvarez did it) an AD anywhere saying "I'm not a XXXXX Sport Guy or Woman" I mean who does that publicly? If I were on the hockey team at the time he made that utterly asinine statement I would have marched into his office and told him to lace em up if he wants to disrespect the hockey team...see what happens.

volleyball may not be your thing. Hockey may not be your thing. Golf, etc. But WHEN YOU ARE THE AD THEY HAVE TO BE YOUR THING AT LEAST PUBLICLY. eesh

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Early line combinations via Baggot on twitter.

Zulinick-Zengerle-Barnes; LaBate-Kerdiles-Mersch; Navin-Dahl-Soleway; Little-Meuer-Besse; Cavallini-Paape-McGuire.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post

Zulinick-Zengerle-Barnes; LaBate-Kerdiles-Mersch; Navin-Dahl-Soleway; Little-Meuer-Besse; Cavallini-Paape-McGuire.
                          Those top two lines look familiar

Comment

Originally posted by uwisco View Post
                            early line combinations via baggot on twitter.

Zulinick-zengerle-barnes; labate-kerdiles-mersch; navin-dahl-soleway; little-meuer-besse; cavallini-paape-mcguire.
                            BuZZ line is still intact!

Edit: Apparently USCHO doesn't like when people yell

Comment

does that mean Besse is on the 4th line if I'm reading L to R? man, if so, that should change quickly. I don't think you can keep a guy that talented on the 4th line and keep him happy.

Comment

I know it's very early, but I have to type this....please don't let Besse rot on the 4th line his Fr year.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X