Ohio State Buckeyes 2013-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2013-14

Even though we are still in the offseason I decided to start a new thread for the coming season. It's old news now that assistant coaches Chris MacKenzie and Candace Moxley have taken head coaching positions at Connecticut and Buffalo State. Coach Handrahan has hired replacements for them and it sounds like we got a couple of good coaches.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...052313aab.html

I am still waiting for next season's schedule to come out.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2013-14

Agreed, the new coaches sound great. I look forward to seeing them work.

Thanks for thread-starting, both here and in the past. Appreciate it, along with all of your many contributions to the board.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Pgb! And you are welcome! I am really missing it right now. Guess the NHL Playoffs will have to do (LOL)! I am really looking forward to watching our program continue to move forward. We should be real solid on D and I think we have a number of players who know how to get the puck in the back of the net. I am stoked!

Comment

I have been watching www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com for the schedule this season but it has not been updated yet. Not sure if they are still finalizing the non-league games or not, but I checked yesterday and this season's schedule is not out yet.

Comment

Times are not listed, but Ohio State has released its schedule.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...e/schedule.pdf

Comment

Looks like a fine schedule. Some first reactions:

1. With the single exception of the exhibition game 0n 9/28, we've avoided home football weekends. That's a positive, but it comes at a cost: Early in the season we share 5 home dates with the Men's Hockey program. On the bright side, the two Saturdays will likely be doubleheaders rather than head-to-head conflicts. But that's still a rough start for fans of both teams.

2. The game on "Thanksgiving Eve" is certainly unique. Not sure if that will generate a good crowd with a holiday atmosphere or a relatively empty building. At least it's not a school night! Either way it should be a fun contest with RMU.

3. Very glad to see that we're launching our rivalry with Penn State.

4. Years of "wishin and hopin" up in Erie have finally paid off. Buckeyes @ Lakers on October 5th. Here's to hoping for a rematch in Columbus next year.

5. The usual outstanding slate of 14 WCHA Home Games will once again be an excellent challenge.

Comment

In regard to item #4, the wife graduated from BGSU and we have season tickets for football. As luck would have it, they have a home game that day. I am trying to think of a way to get out of that so I can take the road trip to Erie! On the bright side, we are going on one road trip. We are actually going to head to Madison for the series vs Wisconsin. I got us a room and we are looking forward to checking out Madison and LaBahn Arena. I'll have to keep that in mind regarding 9/28 and the home football game. I can't wait until then! The season will be here before we know it!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                In regard to item #4, the wife graduated from BGSU and we have season tickets for football. As luck would have it, they have a home game that day. I am trying to think of a way to get out of that so I can take the road trip to Erie!
                I've been to a game at the Doyt, and know that's a good time. So you're really in a no-lose situation. Still, almost all of our opponents for Women's Hockey are further away, so that game in Erie is pretty tempting. Consider also the fine teams the Lakers have had over the years, and... On the other hand, I don't want to get on your wife's bad side. You could generously take the position that for hockey you're holding out for a two game series, and will be sticking with football just this once.

On the bright side, we are going on one road trip. We are actually going to head to Madison for the series vs Wisconsin. I got us a room and we are looking forward to checking out Madison and LaBahn Arena.
                Two game series it is! And there's lots of fun stuff to do in Madison; you'll have a great time. Chat this up when we get closer to the trip; I'm sure the Badger posters will have many recommendations.

I'll have to keep that in mind regarding 9/28 and the home football game. I can't wait until then! The season will be here before we know it!
                9/28 should work out fairly well. With the FB game already scheduled for the evening, I'm guessing the hockey game will face-off early. In other words, early enough for our people to get into and off campus before roads start closing and so on. While obviously not ideal, there shouldn't be undue hardship. And hey, if you can bag a FB ducat, it would make for an outstanding doubleheader!

Comment

LOL, yeah, I should probably plan on hitting up the BG Football game on 10/5 since it is their Homecoming game, although it sure is tempting to make the trip to Erie, if only for one game. The Hurst is The Hurst, and it will be a great opportunity to see how we stack up against a perennial NCAA/Frozen Four program. It should help us in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    Thanks for the kind words Pgb! And you are welcome! I am really missing it right now. Guess the NHL Playoffs will have to do (LOL)! I am really looking forward to watching our program continue to move forward. We should be real solid on D and I think we have a number of players who know how to get the puck in the back of the net. I am stoked!
                    The latest rumor going around is that Jincy Dunne committed to OSU. D will be strong if that's the case

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                      The latest rumor going around is that Jincy Dunne committed to OSU. D will be strong if that's the case
                      That appears to be the case as I just found a link. Sounds like a great pickup for Coach Nate Handrahan and his staff!

http://stlaaablues.com/news_player.aspx#To_Read_More_11

Actually, I stand corrected, it is Jessica Dunne who committed, although we may end up getting Jincy Dunne as well.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 07-12-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                        Indeed an exciting possibility. Note that Jincy is now on Team USA's 25 player roster for Sochi. It's also awesome to see Lisa Chesson's name on the list. Obviously both players still need to survive the final round of cuts, but seeing Lisa and Jincy in the Olympics would be very cool.

The Team USA roster actually came out June, but I thought it deserved a belated mention in our team thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Indeed an exciting possibility. Note that Jincy is now on Team USA's 25 player roster for Sochi. It's also awesome to see Lisa Chesson's name on the list. Obviously both players still need to survive the final round of cuts, but seeing Lisa and Jincy in the Olympics would be very cool.

The Team USA roster actually came out June, but I thought it deserved a belated mention in our team thread.
                          Absolutely. I think we'll see a few more Buckeyes in the Olympics. I am thinking Tessa Bonhomme and Natalie Spooner suiting up for Canada, along with Emma (Laaksonen) Terho and Minttu Tuominen for Finland. It will be great watching them all compete in Sochi.

Comment

Agreed on all 4 counts. It's tough to be truly objective given our pro-Buckeye bias. But barring something unforeseen, I'd expect all four players to be there.

Question: Are there any other former Buckeyes still in the running? Have to admit I'm not exactly sure where the other countries are in their selection processes.

Comment

Pgb, I think that may be it. Those five (Bonhomme, Chesson, Laaksonen, Spooner, Tuominen) are the only ones I can think of, although it is tough to find information on some of the national teams. The only other possibility I can think of would be Annie Svedin, who has played for Sweden's National Team in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X