Hockey support in Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey support in Georgia

BEMIDJI – When the Bemidji State men’s hockey team joined the Western Collegiate Hockey Association in 2010, expectations were high. Membership in a premier conference would pit the Beavers against the best teams in college hockey, offering a bruising schedule, an opportunity to generate more revenue and bringing prestige to the university. The newly opened Sanford Center and the promise of meaningful conference games against foes Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota and Wisconsin appeared an indication the Beaver hockey team would help pay for itself and perhaps help the rest of BSU’s Division II sports. “The success of our hockey program and the revenue that’s brought in will help our Division II sports and that has been the plan,” Athletic Director Rick Goeb told the Pioneer in July 2009.

But things can change drastically in three years.
    Read Article

Again, not sure why this is only being looked at as a negative. UW is considered a significant enough program where its support would matter. I just hope they do the right thing.
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      What is Wisconsin doing for those schools?

I'm not in the Minnesota thread demanding that we help out the small programs, so I get to ask what you're doing for ALL of the former conference mates.

Not asking Wisconsin to help out every single small school that remains in the WCHA either.

Yeah, just the Minnesota ones for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I'm not in the Minnesota thread demanding that we help out the small programs, so I get to ask what you're doing for ALL of the former conference mates.

Yeah, just the Minnesota ones for some reason.
        And if there were other Wisconsin schools that were being left behind in the WCHA that UW was choosing to give priority in helping, I would understand. But there isn't. So why should that mean not help anyone. If not the MN schools (though geography would make them the most sensible), how about Tech?

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Gophers didn't give up two home games to try and help and if North Dakota didn't reaffirm their commitment to keep playing BSU, I'd be just as critical of them.

Again, your problem is that you can't look past borders and focus on what is best for the sport.

Comment

Read Article

Again, not sure why this is only being looked at as a negative. UW is considered a significant enough program where its support would matter. I just hope they do the right thing.
          Sounds to me like someone in Bemidji overplayed their hand. More wasted taxpayer money.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Sounds to me like someone in Bemidji overplayed their hand. More wasted taxpayer money.
            Their old conference was desolving. They had to build the arena to get into the WCHA. Are you suggesting they should have demoted their program back to D3 or took the precarious route that Huntsville took? Do you think if offered a similar opportunity that Huntsville wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity too?

Perhaps you should go back to focusing on the T-Wolves and leave the welfare of hockey to those who actually care beyond their own entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              Are all these Minnesota schools being talked about part of the Minnesota Public University system?
              Nope.
              Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              So all the Universities you have been talking about UMD, SCSU, Mankato and BSU are all Minnesota public Universities. When I asked if all the teams being discussed were Minnesota public Universities, you said no. All the schools you want UW to schedule and "save" are all public Universities in Minnesota. Am I correct so far?
              You are correct, bucky. The Exalted, Generous University of Minnesota is reaching down and helping out the small schools....in their own university system. They are sharing that revenue with - you've got it - themselves. Their kissing-cousin fellow state universities. Isn't that generous of them? Hip hip hooray for tEGUMn!!
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                Liar, liar, pants on fire.

You are correct, bucky. The Exalted, Generous University of Minnesota is reaching down and helping out the small schools....in their own university system. They are sharing that revenue with - you've got it - themselves. Their kissing-cousin fellow state universities. Isn't that generous of them? Hip hip hooray for tEGUMn!!
                They aren't in the same university system.

The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (commonly abbreviated as "MnSCU") comprises 31 colleges and universities, including 24 two-year colleges and seven state universities. Its headquarters are in Suite 350 of the Wells Fargo Place in St. Paul.[2] The system is separate from the University of Minnesota system.

Comment

And if there were other Wisconsin schools that were being left behind in the WCHA that UW was choosing to give priority in helping, I would understand. But there isn't. So why should that mean not help anyone. If not the MN schools (though geography would make them the most sensible), how about Tech?
                  It's not geography that makes them the most sensible, it's the $$$$.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

It's not geography that makes them the most sensible, it's the $$$$.
                    Wrong again.

Comment

Their old conference was desolving. They had to build the arena to get into the WCHA. Are you suggesting they should have demoted their program back to D3 or took the precarious route that Huntsville took? Do you think if offered a similar opportunity that Huntsville wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity too?

Perhaps you should go back to focusing on the T-Wolves and leave the welfare of hockey to those who actually care beyond their own entertainment.
                      Everyone knew the Big 10 would happen if another team came into being. Everyone knew there would be casualties. They overplayed their hand. The business model needed to be the median, not Minnesota/UND and Wisconsin are going to make our bank for us. It's simple economics.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They aren't in the same university system.
                        You're just parsing words now. They are all public institutions supported by Minnesota and its taxpayers. I could give two bleeps how they are organized. It still makes sense to the Minnesota taxpayer for tEGUMn to favor their kissing cousin state universities, regardless of how the family tree splits.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Everyone knew the Big 10 would happen if another team came into being. Everyone knew there would be casualties. They overplayed their hand. The business model needed to be the median, not Minnesota/UND and Wisconsin are going to make our bank for us. It's simple economics.
                          So, what would you have done if you were BSU? Pretend for a minute you care about hockey in the state and country outside of the Gophers. Pretend for a minute that you care about giving kids the most opportunities to play at the next level as possible. Pretend for a minute you care about anything other than your own entertainment.

What would you have done? Remember, hindsight is 20/20. No one knew for certain PSU would ever get their program to the next level.

You act like I'm some provincial monster. I just care a great deal.

Comment

You're just parsing words now. They are all public institutions supported by Minnesota and its taxpayers. I could give two bleeps how they are organized. It still makes sense to the Minnesota taxpayer for tEGUMn to favor their kissing cousin state universities, regardless of how the family tree splits.
                            So, Minnesota taxpayers are supposed to subsidize hockey programs? That makes more sense than all of the big programs in the area doing a little bit extra to make sure that those programs and college hockey in general (in which they have a vested interest) stay viable?

Dohkay

Comment

Not as much worried about Cloud as I am about Bemidji and Mankato. Are you suggesting playing UW at home wouldn't benefit those programs? Serious question. I realize UW probably isn't as big of a draw as Minnesota or North Dakota, but I imagine they would draw better than many other schools.

You do bring up a great point on recruiting that I certainly agree with. This will certainly hurt Wisconsin's recruiting more than Mankato or Bemidji's. from a purely fiscal standpoint though, I am worried about these schools not getting as many visits from the larger schools.
                              BSU and Mankato are bigger draws in Cloud than Sconnie. I know Motzko plans on playing BSU on a regular basis, but not sure about mankato. Motzko knows he has a great conference schedule every year and can pay to get teams to come the Herb, so he doesn't need sell out to Sconnie. He does it with the Gophers because it benefits us recruiting wise and the fans want them in our building.
                              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

So, what would you have done if you were BSU? Pretend for a minute you care about hockey in the state and country outside of the Gophers. Pretend for a minute that you care about giving kids the most opportunities to play at the next level as possible. Pretend for a minute you care about anything other than your own entertainment.

What would you have done? Remember, hindsight is 20/20. No one knew for certain PSU would ever get their program to the next level.

You act like I'm some provincial monster. I just care a great deal.
                                College Sports is big business now. It's not a charity. It used to be a charity. It used to be part of the college experience. That's no longer the case. You get hired to coach D1 college hockey you're expected to win and you're expected to put butts in the seat. If you can't hack it then find another job.

We all knew there would be casualties when the Big 10 went hockey. Not enough people cared. I did. I was one of the biggest campaigners on this site that was anti-Big 10 Hockey. It happened anyway. Now the fallout begins. College hockey will lose more programs than it gains at the expense of Penn State who you cheer for it's expansion.

Comment

Working...
                                X