Hockey support in Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
    I want to see North Dakota travel to American International College to play a two game series in front of a total of 200 fans for both games.
    That would be a great gesture, but the big difference between that and UW visiting Mankato or Bemidji is that North Dakota never shared a conference with American International. UW did with Mankato and Bemidji as recently as this past season.

North Dakota should be commended for scheduling Bemidji State before Bemidji was accepted into the WCHA, and for their intentions to do so moving forward. In my eyes, North Dakota is at least making an attempt to support these smaller old conference opponents.

Comment

Re: Hockey support in Georgia

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      Actually, all name calling aside, even the most reasonable Gopher fans will agree with me. Can't turn our backs on the smaller programs.

And if you don't think a discussion about large schools supporting (or choosing not to) the smaller programs in this country is related to the growth of college hockey (which would include the South), then maybe you need a nap.
      Maybe when the NCAA passes a rule that you need to play X% of your non-con games away from home, we can talk about obligation. Until then, for better or for worse, it's just going to play out the way that it plays out.

As much as I'd like to see some of the old WCHA schools again (and UW will have ongoing deals with UND, Denver and CC, as well as an ongoing deal with NMU), I don't see why there has to be anything between them. I know for a fact that UW has negotiated with several of them, and in each of those cases, both teams put out a proposal, and both teams walked away knowing that they can get a better deal elsewhere. And if both schools think they can do better elsewhere, why shouldn't they?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Maybe when the NCAA passes a rule that you need to play X% of your non-con games away from home, we can talk about obligation. Until then, for better or for worse, it's just going to play out the way that it plays out.

As much as I'd like to see some of the old WCHA schools again (and UW will have ongoing deals with UND, Denver and CC, as well as an ongoing deal with NMU), I don't see why there has to be anything between them. I know for a fact that UW has negotiated with several of them, and in each of those cases, both teams put out a proposal, and both teams walked away knowing that they can get a better deal elsewhere. And if both schools think they can do better elsewhere, why shouldn't they?
        Easy. Make an offer that will actually benefit those programs. I find it hard to believe any offer was turned down because these small schools thought they could find an opponent not already scheduled that would draw at home better. i'm guessing UW's offer was so bad that they chose the lesser of two evils.

Again, if UW wants to do only what's in their best interest, then I sincerely hope that I am right in my guess that less presence in Minnesota will result in recruiting shortfalls for them moving forward.

I don't think anyone would expect UW to go to the lengths Minnesota did to accommodate the other MN schools, but I am sure there is some ground between giving up home games and only being able to offer 2-for-1's.
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Easy. Make an offer that will actually benefit those programs. I find it hard to believe any offer was turned down because these small schools thought they could find an opponent not already scheduled that would draw at home better. i'm guessing UW's offer was so bad that they chose the lesser of two evils.

Again, if UW wants to do only what's in their best interest, then I sincerely hope that I am right in my guess that less presence in Minnesota will result in recruiting shortfalls for them moving forward.
          If they were offered a 2 for 1, like has been rumored, and they turned it down, then yes I would say that they must've thought that they had a better option. Otherwise they would've agreed to it.

And you're really reaching a new depth of troll-i-tude if you think that whether UW plays a non-conference game against the Mavericks, Beavers or Huskies is going to be what makes or breaks our recruiting outside of the Twin Cities. I can only imagine what that recruiting conversation would be like. "Okay, listen. I've seen your facilities, been to the Kohl Center for a game, and I've considered your track record as a coach and as a developer of talent for the next level... but you just don't play Bemidji State enough for me to want to play here."

And, for the record, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there's been a grassroots push in Georgia lately. I think there's a lot of promise, not just in Georgia, but in other non-traditional parts of the country. Slowly but surely, we're seeing dividends of more talented recruits coming up from all over. I don't know if that'll lead to a program coming out of there anytime soon, but it's still only good news. Perhaps the loss of the Thrashers can bring a silver lining when all the Dixieland hockey fans decide to put their efforts into creating something new that can stick around. Like I said before... the Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets aren't moving to Canada anytime soon.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I don't think anyone would expect UW to go to the lengths Minnesota did to accommodate the other MN schools, but I am sure there is some ground between giving up home games and only being able to offer 2-for-1's.
            I am all for WI having less of a presence in MN by not playing the other MN schools! By not playing them WI will eventually find out over time it is in their best Interest in scheduling MN schools.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              I am all for WI having less of a presence in MN by not playing the other MN schools! By not playing them WI will eventually find out over time it is in their best Interest in scheduling MN schools.

This year, UW had 6 players (out of 26) from Minnesota on their roster.

I'm thinking that for better or worse, we will not be dependent upon Minny for the core of our team any more.

As we've seen, there are top recruits coming out of many non-traditional markets now and I believe we'll be just fine without playing games in Bemidji or Mankato. Potential recruits from across the country will see us on the BTN and are seeing our alumni all over the NHL.

All of the kids in Minny will get to see us plenty when we play the Goofs and on the BTN. I don't believe for a second that traveling to Bemidji will net us anything at all in terms of nailing down a recruit.

If some kid is sitting in the stands in Bemidji, they're there as a fan of the Beaver and if anything, will hate us after we pound it for two nights in a row.

So nice to see two threads that have nothing at all to do with the Gophers get sidetracked once again by clown boy. What about the pep band thread? How will Mankato's pep band survive if the Badgers don't travel to Mankato every once in a while?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                If they were offered a 2 for 1, like has been rumored, and they turned it down, then yes I would say that they must've thought that they had a better option. Otherwise they would've agreed to it.

And you're really reaching a new depth of troll-i-tude if you think that whether UW plays a non-conference game against the Mavericks, Beavers or Huskies is going to be what makes or breaks our recruiting outside of the Twin Cities. I can only imagine what that recruiting conversation would be like. "Okay, listen. I've seen your facilities, been to the Kohl Center for a game, and I've considered your track record as a coach and as a developer of talent for the next level... but you just don't play Bemidji State enough for me to want to play here."

And, for the record, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there's been a grassroots push in Georgia lately. I think there's a lot of promise, not just in Georgia, but in other non-traditional parts of the country. Slowly but surely, we're seeing dividends of more talented recruits coming up from all over. I don't know if that'll lead to a program coming out of there anytime soon, but it's still only good news. Perhaps the loss of the Thrashers can bring a silver lining when all the Dixieland hockey fans decide to put their efforts into creating something new that can stick around. Like I said before... the Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets aren't moving to Canada anytime soon.
                Let's see. Going from playing 16 games against Minnesota schools (approx average) with 4-6 games inside the state of Minnesota to what, 2-4 games against Minnesota schools with 2 inside the state of Minnesota.

Yeah, that much of a decreased presence will have no effect on recruiting Minnesota kids. Love your optimism pal.

And look at Alabama-Huntsville's struggles to find a conference and tell me that these two topics are completely unrelated. How successful can a new program down South really be if no one will agree to visit to play them???
                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  This year, UW had 6 players (out of 26) from Minnesota on their roster.

I'm thinking that for better or worse, we will not be dependent upon Minny for the core of our team any more.

As we've seen, there are top recruits coming out of many non-traditional markets now and I believe we'll be just fine without playing games in Bemidji or Mankato. Potential recruits from across the country will see us on the BTN and are seeing our alumni all over the NHL.

All of the kids in Minny will get to see us plenty when we play the Goofs and on the BTN. I don't believe for a second that traveling to Bemidji will net us anything at all in terms of nailing down a recruit.

If some kid is sitting in the stands in Bemidji, they're there as a fan of the Beaver and if anything, will hate us after we pound it for two nights in a row.

So nice to see two threads that have nothing at all to do with the Gophers get sidetracked once again by clown boy. What about the pep band thread? How will Mankato's pep band survive if the Badgers don't travel to Mankato every once in a while?
                  Hey, if you don't care about recruiting in Minnesota, that's fine by me

Comment

Hey, if you don't care about recruiting in Minnesota, that's fine by me

Nobody said, "don't care" but it's hardly the end all that some of you want to pretend that it is or what it was years ago.

Our presence will be sufficient for what we need from your state.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Nobody said, "don't care" but it's hardly the end all that some of you want to pretend that it is or what it was years ago.

Our presence will be sufficient for what we need from your state.
                      It would be an understatement to say that I strongly disagree. You're going from 16 games against MN schools with 4-6 in-state to probably 4 games with 2 in-state. And you're saying that will have no effect on your recruiting here. Dohkay.

Comment

It would be an understatement to say that I strongly disagree. You're going from 16 games against MN schools with 4-6 in-state to probably 4 games with 2 in-state. And you're saying that will have no effect on your recruiting here. Dohkay.
                        I've already responded this non-issue in the Wisconsin recruiting thread, where this conversation belongs.

I'll leave the full argument there. But my initial response to how much you seem to think this matters is still the same:

******* width="560" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_gypoaf-Bc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_gypoaf-Bc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Comment

Appreciate your concern. Mike will just have to do the best he can knowing that JDUBBS1280 strongly disagrees with the notion that he'll be able to recruit effectively in Minny with the decreased presence for games against glorified D-3 schools within that state. He really should have consulted you.

I for one will gladly take a recruit out of St. Louis and miss out on the kid from Wherever, MN if it means that I never have to pay for and sit through a game against BSU or Mankato again in Madison.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post

Comment

The real issue here is that Minnesota is no longer the main or only place to farm top level hockey talent.

Dubbie's whole identity is wrapped around the notion that it is and he can't handle the fact that it's irrevocably changing as the rest of the country turns out more and more talent.

The fact of the matter is that UW and other schools no longer need Minnesota as much as they once did. Hell, even the Gophers are going out of state now as they have also realized this truth.

Get over it Dubbie. It will never again be what it once was. It was a nice run.

Comment

Working...
                                X