Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey support in Georgia

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
    A few years back, there was a fairly serious look at D1 by Kennesaw State (outside ATL) but that obviously tanked. Some suggested that it would be a great fit at Georgia State (I think maybe that it was Thrashers PBP Dan Kamal), did not happen. Personally, I doubt that there is the passion for it among any of the D1 schools here and I do not see it happening. There is plenty of hockey in the South - minor pro. Just as Minnie has NHL, college and high school, the South has NHL and minor pro. You don't see minor pro going into Minnie and I doubt you will see D1 trying it in the South any time soon (with apologies to my friends at UAH).
    Hey man, we were here before most every one of those guys.

If D-I happens down South — and it won't, and we're stubbornly keeping the dream alive — it happens with 2-3 teams going as a group, with donors. I could see Georgia and Georgia Tech both making the jump, but they'd pretty much need a Pegula situation to make that viable. The SECHC is an okay league, but most of those schools have home games a ways away from campus. Those young men are really doing it because they love the game, and I have all the respect in the world for them for doing it. Everyone around here has to really worry about Title IX responsibilities given the football situation. Adding a men's sport of hockey's size probably means add two women's sports of similar size, and the money factory that Nick Saban runs just isn't going to put money into hockey, even if he did help our efforts at UAH.

Kennesaw was our best hope, and I do believe that Sonny Perdue killed that one, eh, 5hole?

GFM <— hopes to see Niagara come to UAH again so 5hole will be back in our building.
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      Unless the Big Ten adds more teams to the original 6.
      Won't happen.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post

Now, Pink Pony - about that name ... ?? (Google "Pink Pony Georgia" )
        From a google review...

"A Ponderosa of **** and assess!!! The girls were nice and the place was popping off on a Wednesday!!!"

Comment

Just a short article from Hockeyyall about Athens GA possibly adding a rink.

UGA on Verge of Ice Age in Athens? Group May Build Rink

An Athens-based group is considering building an ice rink in Athens, possibly near the UGA campus.

“[A rink] would be a dream come true for me and quite a number of people who have been part of the UGA hockey team for years — and for future Ice Dogs,” said John Hoos (Head Coach).

We’ve been absolutely blown away [by the response (of the survey)],” said Hoos. “Within 18 hours of posting the survey on-line, more than 1,000 individuals said they would buy season tickets, and that number continues to grow.”

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
            That's just too bad if true. I think it's in the best interest long-term for schools like Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin to support the smaller schools they used to share a conference with. It would keep college hockey strong.
            It would have been better for College Hockey if the Big Ten schools worked out a deal to stay in the CCHA, WCHA and get regular games between themselves, and also work out a deal that would have had OSU and PSU anchoring a new league with teams stretching from Ohio to Western New York to Huntsville. That would have done a whole lot more to support college hockey as a whole and would have left a whole lot more room for schools interested in starting up a NCAA D1 hockey program to find a conference home.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              It would have been better for College Hockey if the Big Ten schools worked out a deal to stay in the CCHA, WCHA and get regular games between themselves, and also work out a deal that would have had OSU and PSU anchoring a new league with teams stretching from Ohio to Western New York to Huntsville. That would have done a whole lot more to support college hockey as a whole and would have left a whole lot more room for schools interested in starting up a NCAA D1 hockey program to find a conference home.
              You bring up some good, thought provoking points.

Comment

You bring up some good, thought provoking points.
                The reason this didnt happen is Big isnt going to share the money

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                  The reason this didnt happen is Big isnt going to share the money
                  You're probably right. Interesting ideas to think about though.

Comment

You're probably right. Interesting ideas to think about though.

You find that small program that Minny is giving a 1:1 to yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      You find that small program that Minny is giving a 1:1 to yet?
                      We're doing more than that. See my previous tweets for explanation. I'm done repeating myself

Comment

We're doing more than that. See my previous tweets for explanation. I'm done repeating myself

Purdue is offering 1:1s?

And no, the Gophers aren't.

And you look like a clown for the umpteenth time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Purdue is offering 1:1s?

And no, the Gophers aren't.

And you look like a clown for the umpteenth time.

What I've Suggested UW Do For 1-2 Schools
                          YEAR 1: Play Away Series
                          YEAR 2: Play Home Series
                          YEAR 3: OFF
                          YEAR 4: OFF

What Gophers Doing for 4 Schools
                          YEAR 1: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
                          YEAR 2: Play 2 Home Series (Split Revenue 1 Series)
                          YEAR 3: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
                          YEAR 4: Play Away Series

If UW wants, they can forgo the 1:1 and do what the Gophers are doing. That would be just fine by me

And calling me a clown makes you no less wrong. As fun as it is watching you try to shove a square peg in a round hole, you should stick to childish banter and photoshopped pieces and leave the serious discussion to those capable
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

What I've Suggested UW Do For 1-2 Schools
                            YEAR 1: Play Away Series
                            YEAR 2: Play Home Series
                            YEAR 3: OFF
                            YEAR 4: OFF

What Gophers Doing for 4 Schools
                            YEAR 1: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
                            YEAR 2: Play 2 Home Series (Split Revenue 1 Series)
                            YEAR 3: Play Home Series (Split Revenue)
                            YEAR 4: Play Away Series

If UW wants, they can forgo the 1:1 and do what the Gophers are doing. That would be just fine by me

And calling me a clown makes you no less wrong. As fun as it is watching you try to shove a square peg in a round hole, you should stick to childish banter and photoshopped pieces and leave the serious discussion to those capable
                            Quoting so you can't edit away the evidence.

You've been (wrongly) claiming that the Goofs are offering something approaching a 1:1 to other Minnesota state schools. Yet what you just outlined is a 4:1! And you screwed that up, because Year 3 would be a repeat of Year 2, making it a 5:1 offer, according to you! And I'm laughing my butt off over the fact that "neutral site" games for which you were congratulating tEGUofMn for "giving up 2 of their 20 home games" you, yourself, now call home games!

Gurt is right, you are a clown!
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              Quoting so you can't edit away the evidence.

You've been (wrongly) claiming that the Goofs are offering something approaching a 1:1 to other Minnesota state schools. Yet what you just outlined is a 4:1! And you screwed that up, because Year 3 would be a repeat of Year 2, making it a 5:1 offer, according to you! And I'm laughing my butt off over the fact that "neutral site" games for which you were congratulating tEGUofMn for "giving up 2 of their 20 home games" you, yourself, now call home games!

Gurt is right, you are a clown!
                              Where to begin replying to this completely ignorant post.

The Gophers always play 20 home games and get the gate receipts for 20 home games. They are taking two of those 20 home games to play in the MN Tournament (where revenue will be split between all of the schools playing). So, from a revenue standpoint (which is what I was referring to), they are giving up two home games.

Those are the home games where revenue is split in my outline above. The other MN schools will rotate out of this MN Tournament, and the years they don't play in the tournament that school will host the Gophers. Those are the Away series in the outline above. The other home series in which revenue isn't split will be at Mariucci and only the Gophers will get the revenue.

So, the other schools will get revenue from playing the Gophers 3 out of every 4 years by playing in the MN Tournament, and 1 out of every 4 years from hosting the Gophers at home.

So, thank you for proving my point that the Gopher's arrangement isn't technically a 1:1 arrangement, but is more beneficial to the smaller schools than a simple 1:1 arrangement every 4 years would be.

I never said the Gophers were offering 1:1 arrangements. They are offering something more beneficial to these schools than a 1:1 every 4 years. But if UW wants to forgo the 1:1 every 4 years and play a small school every year (and share revenue with them 3/4 years), that would be fine by me

Time for UW to step up now. I am sure a school like Tech would love the support.
                              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                                I know this doesn't belong here, but college hockey of all kinds deserves support. University of Georgia is trying to get a small rink near Athens Georgia for their ACHA D3 team. Check ou their online interest survey, especially if you live in the area or know someone that does.

http://georgia.sechchockey.com/?p=95...email&msg=fail
                                Not sure what level they were playing at, but when I attended UGA (2001) they were actually pretty decent. I didn't get to attend a game as everything was played in Atlanta or further away. Not to mention, I only had one friend there who even knew that hockey existed (ironically, he was there on exchange from Minnesota).

Funny side note, the Minnesota friend invited me to the Frozen Four in 2002 before we knew the final teams. Maine ends up playing Minnesota and...well...you know the rest.
                                You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                                ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                                ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                                ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Working...
                                X