Atlantic Hockey Adds to Scholarship Limit, Mulls Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Hockey Adds to Scholarship Limit, Mulls Expansion

mmmmmm... still not an on-campus rink. Not sure if I would call it an investment as opposed to a more convenient option than working around Buff States schedule. I honestly feel a bit bad for Canisius... long standing hate aside. They had an awesome playoff run last year and their school/students/alumni barely supported them. They looked pretty good at the NCAAs as well...

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....er-tyler-walsh

It can only be seen as good news for the conference when one of its member schools invests in the program. Canisius will be moving to the HARBORCenter in Buffalo for the 2014-15 season.
    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
      mmmmmm... still not an on-campus rink. Not sure if I would call it an investment as opposed to a more convenient option than working around Buff States schedule. I honestly feel a bit bad for Canisius... long standing hate aside. They had an awesome playoff run last year and their school/students/alumni barely supported them. They looked pretty good at the NCAAs as well...
      Take a look at the campus; there really isn't a good place to put it.

Comment

First of all, I will never feel sorry for Cantnisius. As for the move's impact on Griffs hockey, one of the guys on the Niagara talk thread stated it pretty well:
        "Oh hey, mr. recruit, come play at a rink that is attached to a hotel packed w/NHL scouts 7 days a week."

Pro scouts can literally take an elevator down 3 floors during practice time before they watch the NHL that night

That is all you have to say as a coach

No worries

Such a close association with an NHL team is a pretty unique situation and it plays to the Griffs' advantage. The bar has been raised ... hopefully the rest of the teams in AHA respond with a stronger commitment to their hockey programs and by getting creative in promotion of their programs.
        GO PURPS!
        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff . I hate when Niagara fans are right.

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
          "Oh hey, mr. recruit, come play at a rink that is attached to a hotel packed w/NHL scouts 7 days a week."

Pro scouts can literally take an elevator down 3 floors during practice time before they watch the NHL that night

That is all you have to say as a coach

No worries
          RIT Tigers

Comment

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff . I hate when Niagara fans are right.
            Hey, we are always right!

Actually, I am less sure that the situation will actually play out that way on a consistent basis ... but I expect that Canisius will tell that story to recruits.
            GO PURPS!
            Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
              Hey, we are always right!

Actually, I am less sure that the situation will actually play out that way on a consistent basis ... but I expect that Canisius will tell that story to recruits.
              Makes sense to some starry eyed kid who has dreams of going to the NHL. And that might actually happen every so often.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

So the Sabres are playing 7 nights a week in Buffalo now!!!

I don't see this move doing much of anything for Canisius other than perhaps easing up some scheduling issues. I don't see it hurting either ... same size and still off campus.
                -M

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  There are some pretty dumpy AHA rent a rinks
                  SH and AIC spring immediately to mind.

Comment

• http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....chubak-niagara

Highlights of the top 5 news items in AHA over Summer, including Expansion talk.
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Seeing this thread pop back up made me hopeful that the St. Anselm (or any of the remaining D-II schools, for that matter) had finally decided to play for something.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                        http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....chubak-niagara

Highlights of the top 5 news items in AHA over Summer, including Expansion talk.

I'd like to see Mercyhurst and Robert Morris join the WCHA to make twelve teams and help Bowling Green from having extensive travel.
                        Last edited by Pink Pony; 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Noo. AHA West needs to happen.

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                          I'd like to see Mercyhurst and Robert Morris join the WCHA to make twelve teams and help Bowling Green from having extensive travel.
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                            And why, exactly, would Robert Morris (in particular) be interested in doing that?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Noo. AHA West needs to happen.
                              I don't think that buys those teams much really. Teams aren't going to line up to play AHA West teams so there would be a considerable amount of cross-over scheduling.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                                So what about the extra treacle that Mercyhurst and Robert Morris would cause for LSSU, Tech and MMU and the flights it would add for Bemidji? And why does BG need their travel eased? They have reasonable bus trips to Huntsville, Ferris, LSSU and NMU. Very reasonable second day bus rides to Tech and Mankato. The only tough one they have is Bemidji, plus the flights to Alaska. And what sense would it make for RM and Mercyhurst to add trips to Bemidji, Mankato, Houghton and two Alaskas to their schedule?
                                Last edited by davyd83; 08-16-2013, 05:23 PM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X