Atlantic Hockey Adds to Scholarship Limit, Mulls Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey Adds to Scholarship Limit, Mulls Expansion

[QUOTE=Ballroomblitz;5731951]Adding a few additional scholarships over the next couple of years should make for some stronger hockey so that is a positive. What other steps do you think will make this conference more competitive.

I think facilities are the biggest impediment for AHA teams. Of course, RIT is building a new rink. But I bet if you spoke to coaches in the league they would say facilities.

Comment

[QUOTE=electpuck;5731957]
      Originally posted by Ballroomblitz View Post
      Adding a few additional scholarships over the next couple of years should make for some stronger hockey so that is a positive. What other steps do you think will make this conference more competitive.

I think facilities are the biggest impediment for AHA teams. Of course, RIT is building a new rink. But I bet if you spoke to coaches in the league they would say facilities.
      I would agree. In the state of Minnesota we have high school hockey arenas bigger than many rinks in the AHA.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

If reading the press release properly, sounds like they are replacing one team (Conn) while expanding by one additional team. Hopefully i read it wrong and twelve is the cap number, don't like gong beyond twelve for competitiveness reasons.

What are some thoughts on the best programs in Atlantic Hockey top to bottom? Who consistently fields a better line-up and show they wish to take things up a notch versus the status quoi.
        Air Force, Niagara, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, RIT, Bentley, Robert Morris, Connecticut, Canisius, American International, Army, Sacred Heart.

Comment

Originally posted by electpuck View Post
          That would also go a long way towards explaining either why Atlantic teams typically don't get home games. I think the 11-12 season was the first time in a long time that RPI had traveled to an Atlantic rink (Niagara was still CHA in 09-10 and we did visit them), and although we're going to Mercyhurst this year, the "away game" with Sacred Heart is going to be at a neutral site (mind you in Bridgeport, but still technically neutral). A team like Air Force can get away with it since Denver and CC are nearby with the next closest college hockey team over 500 miles away. Atlantic teams are starting to get some more clout with agreements to have 1 or 2 games in a NHL or AHL rink (RMU with Consol, SHU with Bridgeport, RIT with BCA, UAH although they're nWCHA has a couple games in Nashville, etc.), and are starting to be able to bring in the higher caliber teams, albeit at return trips that are very IMBA.

EDIT: Forgot about RPI traveling to Army a couple times. Granted, they were our former travel partner during the short time they were in the ECAC, so it makes sense.
          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Atlantic teams are starting to get some more clout with agreements to have 1 or 2 games in a NHL or AHL rink (RMU with Consol, SHU with Bridgeport, RIT with BCA, UAH although they're nWCHA has a couple games in Nashville, etc.), and are starting to be able to bring in the higher caliber teams, albeit at return trips that are very IMBA.

EDIT: Forgot about RPI traveling to Army a couple times. Granted, they were our former travel partner during the short time they were in the ECAC, so it makes sense.
            The Three Rivers Classic at Consol gives RMU a bit of clout. built-in rivalry with Penn St., with a couple of outside opponents happy to travel to Pittsburgh every year...
            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Ballroomblitz View Post
              If reading the press release properly, sounds like they are replacing one team (Conn) while expanding by one additional team. Hopefully i read it wrong and twelve is the cap number, don't like gong beyond twelve for competitiveness reasons.

What are some thoughts on the best programs in Atlantic Hockey top to bottom? Who consistently fields a better line-up and show they wish to take things up a notch versus the status quoi.
              Air Force, Niagara, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, RIT, Bentley, Robert Morris, Connecticut, Canisius, American International, Army, Sacred Heart.

I would argue:
              Top: Air Force, Niagara, RIT, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst
              Middle: Bentley, Canisius, Robert Morris, UConn
              Bottom:AIC, Saced Heart, Army

This past year was kind of weird, with RIT, Army, Bentley not doing so well, and UConn doing better than expected.

I am sure there will be a lot of disagreement.
              Last edited by mar7967; 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM.
              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
              Men's Frozen Four 2010
              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

but Canisius won the title! rabble rabble

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                I would argue:

This past year was kind of weird, with RIT, Army, Bentley not doing so well, and UConn doing better than expected.

RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                  I would argue:

I started to answer this question and then realized it is more difficult than it appears. But I'll try again anyway. Any team could arguably be moved up or down one category.

A: Air Force, Niagara, RIT
                  B: Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Bentley
                  C: Canisius, Army, (UConn)
                  D: AIC, Sacred Heart

I also do think that everyone is trying to move up from the status quo. The tide is rising.
                  -M

Comment

Have there been formal applications yet? Or even statements about suitors moving to D-I?
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Have there been formal applications yet? Or even statements about suitors moving to D-I?
                      There have been no applications yet. AHA said that St. Anselm and Univ of Rhode Island were interested, but URI is now saying they are not. http://ripr.org/post/uri-no-interest-varsity-hockey
                      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                      Men's Frozen Four 2010
                      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

What I find curious about the whole thing is that if St. Anselm is finally waking up and bringing their program from D-II to D-I, when are the rest of the D-II programs going to wake up and realize that there probably wouldn't be much of a difference for them if they just went D-I? Assuming that they can schedule non-conference games with other small New England schools, how much different could the costs actually be to do what they're doing right now in D-I?

I suppose I've just never understood the incentive to play for nothing at the D-II level with a bunch of D-III schools added to the schedule when you could do almost the exact same thing at the D-I level without adding any extra scholarships.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

What I find curious about the whole thing is that if St. Anselm is finally waking up and bringing their program from D-II to D-I, when are the rest of the D-II programs going to wake up and realize that there probably wouldn't be much of a difference for them if they just went D-I? Assuming that they can schedule non-conference games with other small New England schools, how much different could the costs actually be to do what they're doing right now in D-I?

I suppose I've just never understood the incentive to play for nothing at the D-II level with a bunch of D-III schools added to the schedule when you could do almost the exact same thing at the D-I level without adding any extra scholarships.
                          Amen. That is what I have been saying for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                            Amen. That is what I have been saying for a decade.
                            I know, right? I mean, in that case we can forget talking about the AHA, the D-IIs can basically just create their own conference.

(I say this, knowing full well that the experience of the MAAC hockey conference probably acts as a scarecrow to prevent stuff like that from happening)

Comment

Is the all sports NE-10 better organized than the MAAC?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Is the all sports NE-10 better organized than the MAAC?
                                Well, they've been around for at least two decades that I can think of, and not a whole lot in changes of membership that I know off the top of my head. Bryant University went D1, New Haven joined them and restarted their football program, and CW Post, who's a football only member, left for a couple of years to get pounded in the PSAC and opted to go back.

How long did the MAAC last??
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X