This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Wisconsin is under no obligation to schedule anyone for anything. Neither is UND. Or anyone else for that matter.
    I can't fault schools who want to make money especially if they don't ask the tax payer for more money.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      If UND was being so unaccomodating to these smaller schools, I'd be just as critical of them.
      As I noted in the Georgia thread (where, unlike here, it is actually completely irrelevant to the thread's subject), if the rumors are true, then some of those schools were offered 2-for-1. That's not ideal, to be sure, but every school that's turned down such an offer has done so because they know they can do better than that (otherwise, they would've accepted the offer). And you know what? If they can do better than that, then good for them, and I'm glad to hear it.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        As I noted in the Georgia thread (where, unlike here, it is actually completely irrelevant to the thread's subject), if the rumors are true, then some of those schools were offered 2-for-1. That's not ideal, to be sure, but every school that's turned down such an offer has done so because they know they can do better than that (otherwise, they would've accepted the offer). And you know what? If they can do better than that, then good for them, and I'm glad to hear it.
        I agree. Within ten years everything should sort it self out. This is a big change and I remember it took ten years the last time this happened in the early 80's.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Again, large school's unwillingness to support small schools has a very clear impact on the health and expansion of college hockey, which was and is relevant to the topic in that discussion.

And not saying UW will be able to offer all of these school's a 1-for1, but I don't think it would hurt them to rotate 1-for-1's with those schools. Like I said, there is ground between a 2-for-1 and a 1-for-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Wisconsin is under no obligation to schedule anyone for anything. Neither is UND. Or anyone else for that matter.
            Did I ever say any school is obligated to do anything?

Twist words much?

Comment

To bring the conversation back on topic: I can't imagine there will be too much of an impact on recruiting if our relationship with the smaller former WCHA foes is limited. It might be nice to schedule UMD in the future, but I'd have a hard time picturing the scenario where not scheduling UMD/SCSU/MSU-M/BSU for non-con action is going to be what costs us a recruit.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

To bring the conversation back on topic: I can't imagine there will be too much of an impact on recruiting if our relationship with the smaller former WCHA foes is limited. It might be nice to schedule UMD in the future, but I'd have a hard time picturing the scenario where not scheduling UMD/SCSU/MSU-M/BSU for non-con action is going to be what costs us a recruit.

Let's see. Going from playing 16 games against Minnesota schools (approx average) with 4-6 games inside the state of Minnesota to what, 2-4 games against Minnesota schools with 2 inside the state of Minnesota.

Yeah, that much of a decreased presence in the state and exposure to kids will have no effect on recruiting Minnesota kids. Love your optimism

Like I said before, too bad the Gophers can't avoid UW and completely eliminate your presence in state (This is why UW needs Gophers more than Gophers need UW).

Comment

Like I said before, too bad the Gophers can't avoid UW and completely eliminate your presence in state (This is why UW needs Gophers more than Gophers need UW).
                  Have fun proposing Minnesota's resignation from the Big Ten.

******* width="560" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_gypoaf-Bc?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_gypoaf-Bc?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

I also love how you think that our recruiting strategy is primarily based around having recruits come see us at another school's rink. For a fan of a school with great facilities, success on the conference and national level, nation wide name recognition and a consistent record of sending alumni to the next level... you really seem to undervalue those things as it relates to recruiting. Is there a giant Revolution-esque electrical blackout that I'm not familiar with? Are top-notch college hockey recruits really going to only care about teams that play non-con games in their hometown? Can we maybe reach out to them by carrier pigeon instead? Because obviously those kids in Minnesota must not have access to the internet, cable TV or really any other source that can inform them who the big names in college hockey are.

Let me know when we lose a recruit to Bowling Green because the Falcons will be playing more games in Mankato than we are.
                  Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Again, large school's unwillingness to support small schools has a very clear impact on the health and expansion of college hockey, which was and is relevant to the topic in that discussion.

And not saying UW will be able to offer all of these school's a 1-for1, but I don't think it would hurt them to rotate 1-for-1's with those schools. Like I said, there is ground between a 2-for-1 and a 1-for-1.
                    The topic is: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse . You made it into some thing completely different...once again.

Comment

Hence the "too bad the Gophers can't" qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                        The topic is: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse . You made it into some thing completely different...once again.
                        Playing less games against Minnesota schools, and less within that state, could have recruiting implications for UW.

Comment

Playing less games against Minnesota schools, and less within that state, could have recruiting implications for UW.
                          I think that is all you had to say and then moved on.

Comment

Exiled - You play in a basketball arena. Don't forget about that point. And how many schools with great facilities, great conference, etc... have enjoyed far less success than UW in recruiting in Minnesota in recent years. I can think of many. I think you are undervaluing the impact of the decreased exposure you will have in Minnesota.

Not suggesting it will completely dry up, but you will have a harder time recruiting in Minnesota. How much harder will remain to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              I think that is all you had to say and then moved on.
                              It's not in his nature to be that succinct or to be able to move on.

Exiled - You play in a basketball arena. Don't forget about that point. And how many schools with great facilities, great conference, etc... have enjoyed far less success than UW in recruiting in Minnesota in recent years. I can think of many. I think you are undervaluing the impact of the decreased exposure you will have in Minnesota.

Not suggesting it will completely dry up, but you will have a harder time recruiting in Minnesota. How much harder will remain to be seen.
                              Okay. So we'll just have to reach those kids in greater Minnesota by carrier pigeon, then? Because that's the only way they'll ever know about us.

I'll tell you what, spending fewer weekends in Minnesota will probably mean that our assistant coaches won't be able to piggy-back off of team trips to do their recruiting trips. It'll be an issue for the expense reports. The kind of players we're targeting will still know who we are, and spending a few more weekends a year playing games in St. Cloud or Bemidji isn't going to change a single thing about that.

Comment

It's not in his nature to be that succinct or to be able to move on.

Okay. So we'll just have to reach those kids in greater Minnesota by carrier pigeon, then? Because that's the only way they'll ever know about us.

I'll tell you what, spending fewer weekends in Minnesota will probably mean that our assistant coaches won't be able to piggy-back off of team trips to do their recruiting trips. It'll be an issue for the expense reports. The kind of players we're targeting will still know who we are, and spending a few more weekends a year playing games in St. Cloud or Bemidji isn't going to change a single thing about that.
                                These kids will have far less opportunities to play near home against friends and family. The rivalries the teams they grow up watching will change. UW will be less significant I that regard. Etc... There is a reason why a team like Miami-Ohio has less success recruiting in Minnesota.

UW could use the Education angle that the Ivy and prestigious schools like Notre Dame and Boston College use to sway kids, but as great of an educational institution that UW is, it would be hard to compete against those schools in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X