This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXVI: Make him an offer he can't refuse

Gabe Grunwald says he'll play this season with the New York Bobcats of the new Eastern Hockey League.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Gabe Grunwald says he'll play this season with the New York Bobcats of the new Eastern Hockey League.
      From the EHL's website -

"Looking forward to its first season, the Eastern Hockey League is comprised of 18 top-level Junior hockey organizations on the East Coast. The EHL is committed to developing and producing student-athletes with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey."

"top-level" - What does that mean in terms of how the league fits into the American junior hockey hierarchy?

Comment

I don't think it's anything personal, Wisconsin just plain hasn't recruited out on the East Coast very much under Eaves. The last one was Corbin McGuire but his grandparents live close to Madison and he spends time in the summers in Wisconsin so there was a connection there from the start.

So, I guess we don't spend a lot of time discussing those players because traditionally they don't end up at Wisconsin. It wouldn't shock me if they looked out East for '14 forwards, since they are probably turning over every rock possible right now looking for players. But, given the majority of us live in the mid-west, we just aren't as familiar with those players.

Do you have any specific players you were referring to?
        I guess when I say East Coast I mean players that live out East but play in the Mid West for various USHL teams which would make the scouting easier for them. One player that I like (I saw him a few times this past year playing for the Chicago Steel) is Patrick Polino. Plays bigger than his listed size of 5'9 164lbs. Reminds me a lot of Claude Giroux. Tough to play against and good with his stick. I heard that his teammates last season nicknamed him Little Kaner because of his hands and vision. Not sure who he's talking with but he's the type of player I'd like to see play for the Badgers.

Theres a 96 from Rochester NY, Anthony Petrella who is at Shattuck. I've seen him a number of times the past couple of years. Strong skater, good size, has hockey sense. Before Shattuck he was with Belle Tire.

Those are just two kids that I can think of that would be a could fit. I'm sure there are a number of others. I just think that it's a mistake for any program to think a kid will only play hockey in the East if that is where his parents are living. I personally believe that any top school in the country, such as Wisconsin, can tap into any market. Top 50 academic school, great hockey legacy, what more could a kid and his parents want.

Comment

Curious where the recruits will play this season? This LINK should clear that up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
            From the EHL's website -

"Looking forward to its first season, the Eastern Hockey League is comprised of 18 top-level Junior hockey organizations on the East Coast. The EHL is committed to developing and producing student-athletes with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey."

"top-level" - What does that mean in terms of how the league fits into the American junior hockey hierarchy?
            The EJHL and AJHL merged more or less and rebranded as the EHL. Probably a tick below the NAHL in overall quality of teams though might have a bit higher end talent at the low end of the age spectrum (something the EJHL in particular was quietly known for).
            Last edited by XYZ; 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM.
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

With Louie Nanne de-committing from Minnesota, is there any chance he ends up at UW with his former Penticton linemate Jedd Soleway?

Comment

any word on why he de-committed?

also...man, it's been awfully quiet re: 2014 forwards. Hopefully they can get a couple of good commits soon.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  any word on why he de-committed?

also...man, it's been awfully quiet re: 2014 forwards. Hopefully they can get a couple of good commits soon.

In terms of the second part of your post, I'd give it a month, month and a half. UW is best served by not panicking in this situation. Guessing the staff wants to evaluate the first few weeks of the BCHL, USHL, AJHL, etc. Shuey's in BC as we speak.

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  With Louie Nanne de-committing from Minnesota, is there any chance he ends up at UW with his former Penticton linemate Jedd Soleway?
                  I'd be really surprised. As others have said, I'd say it pretty likely he goes out East somewhere.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of his game. So, if it were me, I wouldn't pursue it. But, what the heck do I know?

Comment

Saw this today in regards to Louie's younger brother Tyler who is a defenseman (can also step up and play forward). Surprises me a bit to hear Wisconsin's name associated with him. I saw him play last night and thought he was ok, but I wasn't really focused on watching him at all. I know Hammy mentioned the Gophers weren't high on Tyler. Dubay on his twitter account alludes to the fact the Gophers not going after Tyler may be a reason for Louie decommitting, but I don't know if I buy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      Dubay on his twitter account alludes to the fact the Gophers not going after Tyler may be a reason for Louie decommitting, but I don't know if I buy it.
                      It's not.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

In terms of the second part of your post, I'd give it a month, month and a half. UW is best served by not panicking in this situation. Guessing the staff wants to evaluate the first few weeks of the BCHL, USHL, AJHL, etc. Shuey's in BC as we speak.
                        got it, smart move for the coaches to be more deliberate.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Sam McCormick (Notre Dame Academy) commits to Ohio State. Older bro plays for the Buckeyes.

Comment

Had a chance to see two Team Wisconsin clubs play last weekend and a handful of other twin cities elite league teams. Wrote out some thoughts in a blog, and included some video of badgers recruit Matt Berkovitz if you're interested:

LINK

Edit: Here's the video if you're too lazy to click the link.

Comment

Over the Boards has a nice write up on Elite League forwards including future Badger Matthew Freytag, a bunch of forward prospects UW may be interested in and a couple of Wisconsin kids.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                                Over the Boards has a nice write up on Elite League forwards including future Badger Matthew Freytag, a bunch of forward prospects UW may be interested in and a couple of Wisconsin kids.
                                I agree, it's a nice write up. I do question his rankings, as I don't think it's fair to rank kids on one viewing the first Saturday of the scouting season. Not saying he's wrong, necessarily, but, it's a reputation based ranking. This outlet has potential, hopefully they continue to evaluate as the fall season wears on to give a better picture. I was in the building for a lot of the time this guy was, so I know what kids he was watching and wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X