No announcement yet.

Verbal commitment process needs change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Verbal commitment process needs change?

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    You're kidding right? We had two freshman defensemen come in last year and play over upper-classmen. Kyle Rau started on the first line as a freshman. We have six freshmen coming in this season that will get immediate ice time.

I don't think your comments about Minnesota are true at all. But hey, if you want to see Minnesota or BC go after some of the late bloomers you recruited late because they started tearing it up in the USHL, fine by me. I'd be lying if I said I would be worried about you guys stealing some of our recruits late.

Having no gentlemen's agreement in place would have helped Minnesota greatly between 2006-2010, when they had a rash of departures after only a year or two. We could have gone after some more seasoned committed guys instead of rushing some of our own commits in straight out of high school.

Artcle

It would be really nice to be able to go after some of those "second tier" guys the Gophers didn't initially offer when some of the "top tier" guys they recruited leave early. They may not always be successful in stealing kids, but they probably would be enough times to hurt some of the other smaller MN programs.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of fans of some of the other MN schools. If they aren't worried about this, then I have no problem with it either.
    I am torn... overall getting rid of the gentleman's agreement is probably best for the kids and best for the system, but you're right... the rich get richer. In the Midwest this would help MN, UW and UND, and possibly at the cost of SCSU, UMD, MSU-M and BSU.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      I am torn... overall getting rid of the gentleman's agreement is probably best for the kids and best for the system, but you're right... the rich get richer. In the Midwest this would help MN, UW and UND, and possibly at the cost of SCSU, UMD, MSU-M and BSU.
      Yeah, that's why I have reservations about the idea of dropping the agreement.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Yeah, that's why I have reservations about the idea of dropping the agreement.
        The question to me is more what it does for the players... If the school makes a mistake then tough luck
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          The question to me is more what it does for the players... If the school makes a mistake then tough luck
          My concerns have absolutely nothing to do with teams making mistakes. And if it's just the players we're worried about helping, why don't we start paying them and give the large programs and even bigger advantage.

Truth is, there are lots of ways to help the players without giving the large programs a competitive advantage. Not that kids aren't allowed to change their minds before they sign a LOI anyways.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM.

Comment

The biggest thing it does for players is that they will be making decisions closer to when they'll actually be playing. What's the lineup of the team likely to look like? Who might I be playing with? Can I guess how much ice time I'll be getting? Is the team doing well?

Double edged sword, but they'll have a better idea of their skill sets. If you start slow and don't initially attract attention, you may only get offers from so so schools. As you get older if you are a late bloomer, you may have more options as power schools start to pay attention. Or vice versa. If you are a big time 15 year old getting lots of attention but you don't progress, those offers might not be there when you are older. So this could be positive or negative depending on trajectory. But it ensures talented kids are more likely to choose and get the program they want as opposed to a crapshoot (sorta) when they are younger. Maybe it's a big school with lots of talent, maybe it's a smaller program on the rise where they will be a star with playing time. But talented kids will get a better pick.

Comment

Kids can change their minds all the way up to the point where they sign their LOI. You're kidding yourself if you think that this is being proposed to help the kids. It's no coincidence that certain coaches brought this up after losing kids late to major juniors.
              Definitely not doing this for the players.

Comment

Still not seeing how this is, when combined with the more liberal phone/text/contact guidelines, does anything that is best for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                  Definitely not doing this for the players.
                  Of course the true motivations aren't to help the players. Anyone who thinks it is aren't being completely honest or are fooling themselves.

It's no coincidence that guys like Hakstol (and I'm not singling him out here because I know other coaches including Minnesota's probably want to see this change too) publicly brought up ending the gentlemen's agreement after losing a few kids to major juniors.
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                    Still not seeing how this is, when combined with the more liberal phone/text/contact guidelines, does anything that is best for the kids.
                    It allows the decisions that count to be made later, when they are older
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

The rules already allow that. A verbal agreement is non binding. The kid can change his mind anytime he wants, including after signing an LOI.
                      The only thing that binds a kid to a school is an LOI. If an LOI is signed, and the player then backs out, he has to sit out one year before playing with another NCAA team. If he never signed an LOI, no penalty.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

This would do nothing to change that since they can already do that. This just opens the floodgates for coaches to constant hound kids & their family, regardless of their wishes. One of good things about verbals is the peace of mind it provides players/families, this change would take that away. Unless you've been (the collective you in this thread) thru it I know it's hard to appreciate the value on that peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          The rules already allow that. A verbal agreement is non binding. The kid can change his mind anytime he wants, including after signing an LOI.
                          The only thing that binds a kid to a school is an LOI. If an LOI is signed, and the player then backs out, he has to sit out one year before playing with another NCAA team. If he never signed an LOI, no penalty.
                          Sure a kid can change his mind, but sorry, colleges have scholarships planned out and unofficial semi binding commitments made for the next three years. Unless you are top talent, do they make room for you? Verbals technically aren't binding, but they kinda are aren't they? Who wants to lose their spot?

Comment

The rules allow for it, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Far from it, actually. If a kid isn't happy with his situation, and he is a marginal kid, what happens if he decommits and no one else offers him a scholarship? Now he's screwed.

If there was no gentlemen's agreement he knows exactly what schools are still interested in him at all times. If there are none, he doesn't back out of his current commitment. In the current system he's blind to the process once he's already given a verbal commitment to a school. He's virtually locked in unless he's an elite player. Even if he does decommit, then what? How do teams know he's available? Sure with twitter and certain websites these days, the elite kids get written about. But what about Joe average who is comitted to a mediocre school but doesn't feel comfortable any more? Sure, he's told his current school he's no longer going there, but what is he supposed to do so the other 58 know he's back on the market? Take out a TV ad? Call every single one? Ridiculous.

Kids who decommit also get a nasty reputation under the current system. A lot of schools won't touch a kid who has backed out of one commitment. Letting coaches recruit kids until they've signed LOI's lets kids know their options if they are having second thoughts after making their initial commitment.

So yes, there are certainly many positives for the player in discarding the gentlemen's agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              The rules allow for it, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Far from it, actually. If a kid isn't happy with his situation, and he is a marginal kid, what happens if he decommits and no one else offers him a scholarship? Now he's screwed.

If there was no gentlemen's agreement he knows exactly what schools are still interested in him at all times. If there are none, he doesn't back out of his current commitment. In the current system he's blind to the process once he's already given a verbal commitment to a school. He's virtually locked in unless he's an elite player. Even if he does decommit, then what? How do teams know he's available? Sure with twitter and certain websites these days, the elite kids get written about. But what about Joe average who is comitted to a mediocre school but doesn't feel comfortable any more? Sure, he's told his current school he's no longer going there, but what is he supposed to do so the other 58 know he's back on the market? Take out a TV ad? Call every single one? Ridiculous.

Kids who decommit also get a nasty reputation under the current system. A lot of schools won't touch a kid who has backed out of one commitment. Letting coaches recruit kids until they've signed LOI's lets kids know their options if they are having second thoughts after making their initial commitment.

So yes, there are certainly many positives for the player in discarding the gentlemen's agreement.
                              If a kid isn't happy with his situation??? Why in hell would he commit to a school/program in the first place if he isn't sure if the school/program is the right fit for him? Can you give me an example of a kid who screwed himself by decommitting from a scholly without having one in hand before doing so?

Maybe the marginal player is virtually locked in once he commits, but who's decision was it to commit? At what point do you think the player should take responsibility for his own actions? A school offers anywhere from a partial scholarship to upwards of somewhere around or above $200,000 for a four year education, and the coach/school is the bad guy here?

FWIW, I'm in fangers camp. Unless you've been through the process, you really have no idea. But I can tell you that once the endless research is done, the campus visits are complete, and the final decision is made, the weight of the world has just come off that kids shoulders. And the last thing he/she wants is to have coaches constantly contacting them once the commitment is made.

But I can see your side... there are telemarketer's out there with a similar thought process with their relentless calling. We are on the 'no contact' list, but still get calls. We ask them to please remove our number from their data base, but we still get called. Next time I hear my wife repeating her requests to the caller, I'm going to say... "Honey, maybe you'll get somewhere calling him by name. That's Chuck... Chuck Schwartz."
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

If a kid isn't happy with his situation??? Why in hell would he commit to a school/program in the first place if he isn't sure if the school/program is the right fit for him? Can you give me an example of a kid who screwed himself by decommitting from a scholly without having one in hand before doing so?

Maybe the marginal player is virtually locked in once he commits, but who's decision was it to commit? At what point do you think the player should take responsibility for his own actions? A school offers anywhere from a partial scholarship to upwards of somewhere around or above $200,000 for a four year education, and the coach/school is the bad guy here?

FWIW, I'm in fangers camp. Unless you've been through the process, you really have no idea. But I can tell you that once the endless research is done, the campus visits are complete, and the final decision is made, the weight of the world has just come off that kids shoulders. And the last thing he/she wants is to have coaches constantly contacting them once the commitment is made.

But I can see your side... there are telemarketer's out there with a similar thought process with their relentless calling. We are on the 'no contact' list, but still get calls. We ask them to please remove our number from their data base, but we still get called. Next time I hear my wife repeating her requests to the caller, I'm going to say... "Honey, maybe you'll get somewhere calling him by name. That's Chuck... Chuck Schwartz."
                                I've had close friends go through the process, coached players who were going through the process, covered the recruiting process for years, have weekly contact with advisors who have kids going through the process, but since I wasn't good enough as to play D1 I don't have the ability to speak on the process. Got it.

No matter what I say, it's going to be wrong in your mind so I'll step aside here.

Comment

Working...
                                X