X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013 Offseason Thread - Bring on the Mighty Quinn

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    I truly believe that the outside games are a novelty. They are terrific for branding, marketing exposure, etc. Frozen Fenway is for the pink hats, to steal a term from the Red Sox. The hardcore hockey fans might hate that the views stink and the ice isn't as good, but some of them will still go. The ones that don't will be back at the local rink the next game. Until people stop going, the outdoor games will continue because they are a huge money maker.
    Forget about branding, marketing exposure, etc. This is big for the league and for the teams because the kids love it and it is a fairly big deal when it comes to recruiting. The league, by continuing this and getting everyone involved, is hoping that the rising tide lifts all of the boats in the league and that this will give all HE teams a leg up in recruiting, particularly if they can keep doing it and offer a high likelihood that the kids they are recruiting will get their own chance to skate at Fenway.

As a fan it sucks, but you sacrifice one game for the future and it's worth it.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      I truly believe that the outside games are a novelty. They are terrific for branding, marketing exposure, etc. Frozen Fenway is for the pink hats, to steal a term from the Red Sox. The hardcore hockey fans might hate that the views stink and the ice isn't as good, but some of them will still go. The ones that don't will be back at the local rink the next game. Until people stop going, the outdoor games will continue because they are a huge money maker.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Forget about branding, marketing exposure, etc. This is big for the league and for the teams because the kids love it and it is a fairly big deal when it comes to recruiting. The league, by continuing this and getting everyone involved, is hoping that the rising tide lifts all of the boats in the league and that this will give all HE teams a leg up in recruiting, particularly if they can keep doing it and offer a high likelihood that the kids they are recruiting will get their own chance to skate at Fenway.

As a fan it sucks, but you sacrifice one game for the future and it's worth it.
      There is truth in both of these statements... even the "real" hockey fans that go, are likely going as much for the "event" as for watching the hockey game...

Comment

mookie renewed his tickets today...

didn't pay for hea playoffs
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          mookie renewed his tickets today...

didn't pay for hea playoffs
          Hmmm... Didn't that deadline expire?

Good call on passing on the hea playoffs.

I did end up putting in for Fenway tickets.... Hopefully this is the path for getting the best seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Hmmm... Didn't that deadline expire?

Good call on passing on the hea playoffs.

I did end up putting in for Fenway tickets.... Hopefully this is the path for getting the best seats.
            The 16th
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Disappointed to see Gill go.
              He improved each year in size, strength, skill and confidence and was almost always able to do something intelligent with the puck.
              Was excited to see what he could do on one of the top two lines creating plays this season.
              This definitely undermines my hopes for a strong season this year.

Any update on O'Connors health?

- ST

Comment

Originally posted by skatin_terrier View Post
                He is 100%

Comment

http://youtu.be/Hm2d2_fUJ8A

It's no coincidence that the schizophrenic 'sailor' that ruined everyone's fun (except the youngsters) for far too long is now gone and he took his fish Gill with him.
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

He improved each year in size, strength, skill and confidence and was almost always able to do something intelligent with the puck.
                    Was excited to see what he could do on one of the top two lines creating plays this season.
                    This definitely undermines my hopes for a strong season this year.

- ST
                    I think if you said it in reverse, and stated that our prospects for a strong year hinged on Gill's play, most on here would disagree. Not saying his departure will have no impact. Every player is important and all but, I'd put more emphasis on what Quinn brings in the way of change than any single player...that Gill has been good but not great makes me more likely to believe he can be adequately replaced.

Additionally, whether it was Quinn or Gill, there appears to be at least one of them that thinks Gill isn't part of the new era...if that is the case, better to part ways now than January.
                    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

- ST
                      Gonna have to disagree on this. He spent pretty much the entire year on the first line and finished the season with 22 points in 39 games. This past year was his worst for assists and points and second worst for goals. He was not improving on the ice in terms of production. Not saying he didn't have the skill, because occasionally he could really turn heads and score highlight reel goals, but it wasn't there every game (or even most games). I don't think he was a first line guy and my guess is neither did Quinn. If he would rather leave the team than play on a different line (if that's why he left) then they're better of without him. I'm sure there are a few sophomores or freshmen you could put on the front line with Hohmann and O'regan or Rodrigues or whoever its going to be and they could score 5-10 goals. Losing Gill will hurt their depth, but if it makes them more of a team where everyone knows their role and is willing to work their hardest to fill that role and help the team, that's what they really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                        If he would rather leave the team than play on a different line (if that's why he left) then they're better of without him.
                        That is a huuuuuuge leap to make, and one I can basically guarantee is wrong.

Comment

I agree on the depth issue, and for that Gill departure will be felt. However, lets not get ahead of ourselves. He was a decent player and I hate to see people ditch the program, but one would think on a tournament bound team (if that's our expectation) that you could make up 22 points.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

As we have learned from recent history, we should not minimize the depth issue. Unless you think Gill was the worst forward on the team, or that he would create chemistry issues then we would be better off with him than without.

It's a loss we didn't need IMO.

What are the project lines without him?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              As we have learned from recent history, we should not minimize the depth issue. Unless you think Gill was the worst forward on the team, or that he would create chemistry issues then we would be better off with him than without.

It's a loss we didn't need IMO.

What are the project lines without him?
                              I'll take a whack
                              At the lines for this year

Lane. O'regan. Rodrigues
                              Roberto Hohmann Kurker
                              Collier. Baillergeron Kelley
                              Duane. Moran. Ronan/Moscatel

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                With 78 career points in 3 seasons, he was on pace to be a 100 point career guy (just barely). Nothing to sneeze at. Sure guys score more per year and go pro short of the century mark but these guys can be very valuable for depth and as I mentioned before, they can have a nice bump up as a senior.

Comparable: David Van Der Gulik. 93 career points. Points per game... DVG: .66, Gill: .67. And we all know how much everyone loved DVG. He had a solid (shortened) senior season at almost a ppg (22 pts in 25 games) while dealing with injuries sustained from the infamous BU campus shotgun rampage of one Mr. Nathan Gerbe.
                                Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X