X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013 Offseason Thread - Bring on the Mighty Quinn

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Agreed on Baillargeon, who, after 2 USHL seasons, is likely the most ready to contribute. If/when Kevin Duane (6-4, 220 RW) improves his foot speed, he could eventually be very effective, especially on the power play. Needs the Boyle magic that vastly improved Bonino's skating and Mike Pandolfo's. I'd expect Lane, who recently returned from Penguins development camp with Maguire, will grab one of the top two LWs slots and take a nice step up.

From a few conversations, it seems the coaches are confident about the two freshman Ds--Somerby and MacAfee--who will be starting. TJ Ryan will be the 7th defenseman after two EJHL seasons. About a month into last year's prep season, USHR reported:

Doyle Somerby, D, ’94 (Kimball Union/Boston University) — The New York Islanders (NHL) draft pick is the best player on the best team in New England. 6’4”, 210 lb. defender is just coming into his own. Will make the jump directly from prep hockey to BU next year.

Dalton MacAfee, D, ’94 (St. Sebastian’s/Boston University) — This summer, when BU committed to MacAfee, formerly committed to Notre Dame for lax, some were surprised. After watching him closely in the early going this season we think the Terriers have found themselves a good one. NHL scouts should be tracking the all-around athlete’s progress closely.

Somerby, who played a month in the USHL after the prep season, was KUA's shutdown defenseman last season. About 15 games into the season, he'd been on the ice for only one goal against (of course KUA was the class of prep hockey most of the year). MacAfee (4-14-18) was St. Seb's 2nd best D after BC 2015 super recruit Hanifan.

I am optimistic about the forwards and goaltending. However, after Noonan and Grizz, I think we have four below average hockey east defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Either way, this is the first season in a while that Mookie is looking forward to see start. Usually he is all golf in the summer, but if the first game was tomorrow night he wouldn't be sad.
      Don't let go of summer yet!

Comment

Saw this this morning about BU hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ite-revolution
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
          Saw this this morning about BU hockey:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ite-revolution
          *Note: It is written by a BC follower.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            I actually thought it was pretty good, so I'm not sure what this would have to do with anything? I liked how it stressed that they've gone out and gotten some of the players from the best high school program in Massachusetts. Next to Minnesota, those Malden Catholic teams were ridiculous and probably could've taken some of those Minnesota teams. BU went and got the best kid from the best local high school. What more could you want there?

So I'm not really sure what you're getting at?

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

And yes, I'm a BC guy.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                I actually thought it was pretty good, so I'm not sure what this would have to do with anything? I liked how it stressed that they've gone out and gotten some of the players from the best high school program in Massachusetts. Next to Minnesota, those Malden Catholic teams were ridiculous and probably could've taken some of those Minnesota teams. BU went and got the best kid from the best local high school. What more could you want there?

So I'm not really sure what you're getting at?
                Serious question: Are you the author?

Comment

Serious question: Are you the author?
                  Serious answer: nope. He is under handle excsports over on the Bentley board if you go check that out. I've gotten to know him over the past couple of years, though, since he's our resident blogger and radio guy, in the interest of full disclosure.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I thought for sure the Pinheads would have been on her already going nuts over this sentence.

"Despite its lack of national championships in the last 20 years, BU is Boston's NCAA team."

And now you tell me this was written by a BC guy!? #Can'tCompute
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      "Despite its lack of national championships in the last 20 years"
                      And here I was thinking we had won a couple of national championships in the past 20 years.

Silly me, I guess I'll have to go back and check the record books.

Comment

The article was not negative, at all
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          I think the author found a narrative of a down period and now everything is changing because Quinn brought in local guys and dismissed everything that didn't support it.

"The 2009 national championship team had just eight out of 27 roster players from its hometown state. But that national title, ... stood in stark contrast to the multi-time national champions up the street at Boston College. Nine Mass natives won the title for BC in 2008..."

What?

This year's team will have double digit MA kids on it but A. Who really cares? B. Only Roberto will have been brought in under The Quinn Revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            And here I was thinking we had won a couple of national championships in the past 20 years.

Silly me, I guess I'll have to go back and check the record books.
                            Yeah, an interesting statement. All I can think of is that he is comparing it to the 4 that BC has won during that time. Because otherwise, 2 in 20 is not bad at all.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

zomg, guys, we had 8 players on our championship team from MA, and BC had nine, 10, and 11! HUGE DIFFERENCE.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Agreed. Thought it was a pretty good article. i think the author's point is that despite nor hsving the same level of success as BC the past 15 years & the off-ice issues in recent years, BU still is a marquee program whose success is enhanced when its roster contains a good # of local talent.

The irony I find about this article is that when Quinn was hired as AC in 2004, he was lauded for hos connections & recruiting prowess in parts of N. America that BU hadn't mined deeply. Prior to Quinn BU was relying heavily on local talent whose pool had dwindled. In the years Quinn was an AC the program was barely recruiting in MA, as reflected in only 3 MA players on the roster 2 years ago.

Now that the pool of elite local talent seems to be rising again, BU should be primed to reload w/ some of the best locals. Between O'Regan, Grzelcyk, Kurker, Collier, Roberto, Somerby, then (hopefully) Eichel, Doherty, Carpenter & Donato, its good to see the elite MA talent committing to BU again.

Let's hope this translates into sustained on-ice success going fwd.

Comment

Working...
                                X