Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach Rohlik - First Year in the Big Ten

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I can't believe Olson did that. Wonder if it was all his decision or if the parents pushed him towards it? The thing is you have to be solid as possible in net if you want to be the starter and Collin for whatever reason just hadn't gotten his game as sharp as it should have been.
    I can't respect his decision because if he wanted to be the starter then you WORK HARDER at developing your game so you can rightfully claim the starting spot, not bolt and run thinking you'll be more appreciated somewhere else.
    Exactly. It's not like Olson wasn't given every opportunity to establish himself as the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
      The Knucklebucks hosted a Zamboni on the Oval event this afternoon to draw student attention to the men's and women's hockey programs. Had a blast! The women's team was out in full force...Cara Zubko and her teammates are awesome! Not one member of the men's team showed up.

Amazingly guess who did....Gordon Gee!
      Mrs 86 and I got a late start today and missed this! We were heading down by the oval at around 2:35 (thought this was supposed to be 1:00-3:00) and thought we had a few minutes to stop and get a picture, but when we were driving down College Road, the Zamboni was heading back to the OSU Ice Rink. Oh well. Speaking of Cara and her teamies, for those of you who would like to see some women's hockey, the games are held at the OSU Ice Rink and admission is free. I know the girls would appreciate the support!

Comment

So I guess my next question is do we know what team he went to and were they really desperate for a goalie? If not, he may experience the age old scenario of finding out the hard way the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Comment

Still, very disappointed in him. If you aren't willing to work to be #1 but want to bail instead what does that say? I think he has the skill sets but just needed to improve which comes through practice and dedication and then we may have been able to do a goalie rotation like Miami does.
          If he was not going to return next season and gave the coaches advance notice then that's different, but to take off like this leaving the team in the lurch is a selfish move and although I always liked him I can't wish him well because I think it shows a lack of ethics and commitment on being a Buckeye.
          I think he left way to soon also. If you look at the past history with the Goalies , you can see that this team has been pretty much a one main goalie team once they pick the best of the 3. Like Dusty Carlson , Cal Heeter , Brady Hjellie.
          " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
            I think he left way to soon also. If you look at the past history with the Goalies , you can see that this team has been pretty much a one main goalie team once they pick the best of the 3. Like Dusty Carlson , Cal Heeter , Brady Hjellie.
            Yes that has been the pattern, but since we now have a first year coach it's too early to predict what he will continue that was done under Oz or what he will initiate of his own.

Comment

I can't believe Olson did that. Wonder if it was all his decision or if the parents pushed him towards it? The thing is you have to be solid as possible in net if you want to be the starter and Collin for whatever reason just hadn't gotten his game as sharp as it should have been.
              I can't respect his decision because if he wanted to be the starter then you WORK HARDER at developing your game so you can rightfully claim the starting spot, not bolt and run thinking you'll be more appreciated somewhere else.
              What???? These kids that are drafted ...make decisions (I'm sure with their families) based on a number of things. Not the least of which is how they can play and develop while going to college. There is also a huge input from the NHL team that has drafted them.
              If Olson is not getting the playing time here, and not able to develop his game, then he should leave. He's not bolting and running so he can be more appreciated. He's making a tough decision that will ultimately allow him to play and develop his hockey game.
              As for people questioning his commitment to the program....let's just say that OSU has been known to drop the ball in that department with over a dozen players in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Mrs 86 and I got a late start today and missed this! We were heading down by the oval at around 2:35 (thought this was supposed to be 1:00-3:00) and thought we had a few minutes to stop and get a picture, but when we were driving down College Road, the Zamboni was heading back to the OSU Ice Rink. Oh well. Speaking of Cara and her teamies, for those of you who would like to see some women's hockey, the games are held at the OSU Ice Rink and admission is free. I know the girls would appreciate the support!
                Oh man! Yea, once Gordon Gee left, everyone kind of disbanded. We as fans definitely need to step up and support the women's team. Cara said she and the team was excited to see some OSU fans in Wisconsin over the weekend!

Everyone has their opinion on Gee. But to see him work around a group of students... he shook each students hand and asked them where they were from. He literally had a story for each town that was mentioned all across the US. He showed up and was supportive of our team, although our team was not LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                  What???? These kids that are drafted ...make decisions (I'm sure with their families) based on a number of things. Not the least of which is how they can play and develop while going to college. There is also a huge input from the NHL team that has drafted them.
                  If Olson is not getting the playing time here, and not able to develop his game, then he should leave. He's not bolting and running so he can be more appreciated. He's making a tough decision that will ultimately allow him to play and develop his hockey game.
                  As for people questioning his commitment to the program....let's just say that OSU has been known to drop the ball in that department with over a dozen players in the last few years.
                  Let's also not forget about the education component. Hockey lasts a few years in life, education is for a lifetime. Wasn't there a release this spring about OSU Men's Hockey and over half the team was mentioned as advanced students or something like that? I gotta go back and try to find it.

Comment

Yes that has been the pattern, but since we now have a first year coach it's too early to predict what he will continue that was done under Oz or what he will initiate of his own.
                    When you're sitting behind the goalie that the now-head coach recruited, it's pretty easy to predict what's going to happen; not that Olson ever did much to help his cause.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      When you're sitting behind the goalie that the now-head coach recruited, it's pretty easy to predict what's going to happen; not that Olson ever did much to help his cause.
                      Very true. He got two starts: gave up six goals in the first one and two goals on three shots in the second one before being pulled less than three minutes into the game. That's not exactly making your case for more playing time.

Comment

Let's also not forget about the education component. Hockey lasts a few years in life, education is for a lifetime. Wasn't there a release this spring about OSU Men's Hockey and over half the team was mentioned as advanced students or something like that? I gotta go back and try to find it.
                        So what's your point? These players are doing well academically. Not an easy task given the time commitment to play on the team as well. No one is taking away from that.
                        What I'm saying is this: let's not jump on the bandwagon suggesting that Olson left OSU because he was sulking about not playing games.
                        I'm sure it was a decision that was not made lightly. It would have involved his family AND the NHL team that drafted him.
                        If these kids can play hockey, develop, and get an education at the same time, then all the more power to them.
                        But you have to agree that these players are recruited to the program at OSU to play, develop and get a first class education.
                        Note that I said PLAY AND DEVELOP as well as the education component.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                          So what's your point? These players are doing well academically. Not an easy task given the time commitment to play on the team as well. No one is taking away from that.
                          What I'm saying is this: let's not jump on the bandwagon suggesting that Olson left OSU because he was sulking about not playing games.
                          I'm sure it was a decision that was not made lightly. It would have involved his family AND the NHL team that drafted him.
                          If these kids can play hockey, develop, and get an education at the same time, then all the more power to them.
                          But you have to agree that these players are recruited to the program at OSU to play, develop and get a first class education.
                          Note that I said PLAY AND DEVELOP as well as the education component.
                          I haven't jumped on anyone or any bandwagon. I don't really have an opinion either way regarding Olson. The facts are the facts. He had every opportunity to be the starting goalie this year and he blew it. Did he have some defense in front of him? That is debatable.

I'm not going to fault a kid to leave OSU to pursue his dreams. But let's face reality, Olson is no Brady Hjelle either. As Rohlik says, it is what it is.

Comment

Cedar Rapids was granted Olson's USHL rights since they had him on their college protected list. The Roughriders in turn dealt him to Sioux City along with an 8th Round pick for a 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick . Interesting to see he was dealt to the team where Assistant Coach Brett Larson used to coach.

Comment

Oh man! Yea, once Gordon Gee left, everyone kind of disbanded. We as fans definitely need to step up and support the women's team. Cara said she and the team was excited to see some OSU fans in Wisconsin over the weekend!

Everyone has their opinion on Gee. But to see him work around a group of students... he shook each students hand and asked them where they were from. He literally had a story for each town that was mentioned all across the US. He showed up and was supportive of our team, although our team was not LOL
                              Sounds like it was a good time! I will have to make plans to get to that next year. It's a shame the men's team didn't have anyone there. I have to believe that was a communication issue as the men were there for last year's event.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Sounds like it was a good time! I will have to make plans to get to that next year. It's a shame the men's team didn't have anyone there. I have to believe that was a communication issue as the men were there for last year's event.
                                It was great. At least one fan showed up (I felt like the old creepy guy on campus) but students and the women's team were awesome. Fan promotions was there and it looks like the Knucklebucks and the Fan Promotions guy have gotten together to incorporate the Knucklebucks Stat-Trick info into the glossy hand-out at the Schott. Was happy to see that. Hopefully when we yell cheers, people will participate.

Comment

Working...
                                X