Spreading Hockey in NYC - 9 Rink Complex Coming To The Bronx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreading Hockey in NYC - 9 Rink Complex Coming To The Bronx

Mayor Bloomberg announced yesterday that the vacant Kingsbridge Armory in The Bronx will be turned into a 9-rink ice skating complex that will be known as the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Rumors are that the NY Islanders will use it as their practice facility when they move to Brooklyn. This is a massive 750,000 square foot building located just south of the Lehman College campus and about a 1/2 west of Fordham University.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1325130
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Spreading Hockey in NYC - 9 Rink Complex Coming To The Bronx

Naturally, one assumes that the most likely New York school to add hockey (if it were to ever somehow happen) would be the Ivy League school. However, according to google maps, Kingsbridge Armory is about 6.9 miles from the Columbia campus. If I know New Yorkers like I think I do, that means that it might as well be in Delaware.

And, for the record, the only other Ivy without a program (Penn) has a rink and they dropped their program years ago. I don't know if the rink is a dump, but from what I've read it even has a seating capacity larger than some other Ivy rinks.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

..actually Fordham U. is nearby as stated.. pretty logical for them as well.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

This makes the Bronx boy inside of me so very happy. If they build this, I cannot wait to see it someday. It looks nothing less than amazing.
        #OneKnight

Comment

For college a lot will come down to how many seats one dedicated rink will have... If you get say 4000 seats in one then there is potential. IMO, I'd have to think there would be a market for cheap hockey in that area
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

..i read somewhere, they were thinking of about 5000 seats for the main rink.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              For college a lot will come down to how many seats one dedicated rink will have... If you get say 4000 seats in one then there is potential. IMO, I'd have to think there would be a market for cheap hockey in that area
              The "main" rink will have seating for ~5,000. Plenty big for college hockey.

source: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.c...1E2AF19E658D62
              #OneKnight

Comment

We may be missing the main point here. Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits. This and the larger fan base will not harm DI hockey.
                "E pur, si muove."

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                  ..Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits..
                  ..that's a good point.
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    ..actually Fordham U. is nearby as stated.. pretty logical for them as well.
                    I suppose Fordham would be more likely to add hockey than the school that I was mixing them up with (Hofstra). I knew that there was a relatively well known NYC school that was dropping sports, and I got those two mixed up.

Still... one would think that the Ivy League school would be more likely to add something if there were easy enough access to a rink.

We may be missing the main point here. Within a couple of miles of this proposed rink complex there are several million youngsters who will be given access to ice time and hockey programs. Talent does not depend upon nationality or race or political boundaries. With all respect to upper mid-west elitists, the odds are this new complex will become a gold mine of DI recruits. This and the larger fan base will not harm DI hockey.
                    "E pur, si muove."
                    Fair point. Anything that gets kids playing hockey is good for the sport.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      ..that's a good point.
                      This is signature worthy.

Comment

"E pur, si muove."
                        kids from westchester, sure. but it won't be many bronx kids, unless there's a lot of money on the table every year for equipment and ice time.
                        the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.
                        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                          kids from westchester, sure. but it won't be many bronx kids, unless there's a lot of money on the table every year for equipment and ice time.
                          the building is mighty impressive, but success will come down to the nuts & bolts of operation... they're gonna have to be creative & clever in running the place.
                          It's also possible that someone who has played in the area is feeling philanthropic. Have you ever heard of "Hasek's Heroes" in Buffalo, which gives lower income families a chance for their kids to play hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            It's also possible that someone who has played in the area is feeling philanthropic. Have you ever heard of "Hasek's Heroes" in Buffalo, which gives lower income families a chance for their kids to play hockey?
                            Same thing with the "Ice Hockey in Harlem" program which the Rangers are one of the sponsors. I could see that program expanding into this new venue and growing.

http://www.icehockeyinharlem.org/
                            Last edited by du78; 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Naturally, one assumes that the most likely New York school to add hockey (if it were to ever somehow happen) would be the Ivy League school. However, according to google maps, Kingsbridge Armory is about 6.9 miles from the Columbia campus. If I know New Yorkers like I think I do, that means that it might as well be in Delaware.

And, for the record, the only other Ivy without a program (Penn) has a rink and they dropped their program years ago. I don't know if the rink is a dump, but from what I've read it even has a seating capacity larger than some other Ivy rinks.
                              Penn dropped their varsity program after the 77-78(?) season. They have an ACHA team now.

The Class of '23 rink is a concrete box that is not bad. Good sightlines. Saw a 12-10 game there (D-I) many years ago.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X