The new NCHA for '13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new NCHA for '13-14

With the release about the MCHA morphing into the NCHA on the men's side, there was this information about the women's side. Apparently the O'Brien Cup is gone...

http://www.mchahockey.com/press-rele...-major-changes

On the women’s side, the NCHA tournament champion will now play for the “Slaats Cup”, named in honor of Lake Forest College Director of Athletics Jackie Slaats, in recognition of her efforts and dedication in pioneering the formation of the Women’s NCHA.

The regular-season champion will now receive the “Kronschnabel Cup”, named after Bill Kronschnabel, the commissioner of the former Northern Collegiate Hockey Association since 2002. He served as the NCHA Supervisor of Officials from 1998 to 2005 and also played a role in the former MCHA as its Supervisor of Officials in its early stages.

“We felt it was very important to honor and recognize the individuals who were so important in pioneering and fostering the development of the MCHA and NCHA,” Larson said. “Their leadership and vision have been instrumental in the success of both associations.”

The NCHA women’s conference was formed in 2000 and will play its 14th season starting next fall. The conference has sent 13 teams to the NCAA tournament over the past 11 years, including five to the semifinal round. It will be reducing its membership from 11 to seven institutions this offseason and change its leadership.

The “Women’s NCHA” will consist of the following seven members: Adrian College, Concordia University, Finlandia University, Lake Forest College, Marian University, St. Norbert College and The College of St. Scholastica.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: The new NCHA for '13-14

So what is the status of the WIAC women teams?

Comment

Originally posted by 24checking View Post
      So what is the status of the WIAC women teams?
      River Falls - Eau Claire - Superior and Stevens Point will have their own WIAC League and play each other four times throughout the season. I believe UWRF has their schedule updated on their website. 12 WIAC games and 13 NC games.
      No automatic bid for the NCAA's.

Comment

River Schedule:
        http://www.uwrfsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=whockey&
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
          I'm amazed at the lack of NCHA-WIAC cross scheduling...a little bitterness there on the NCHA's part??

IIRC, St Norbert has 1 sereies against UWSP

I see River Falls is only playing CSS in the NCHA.
          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
            I'm amazed at the lack of NCHA-WIAC cross scheduling...a little bitterness there on the NCHA's part??

Looking at a tentative schedule for UWSP, it looks like UWSP will play Marian twice, St. Norbert twice, and Lake Forest once. My guess is that these games were scheduled due to the fairly close proximity between schools. I can pretty much guarantee that no WIAC school wants to play Adrian if it involves a trip to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
              Looking at a tentative schedule for UWSP, it looks like UWSP will play Marian twice, St. Norbert twice, and Lake Forest once. My guess is that these games were scheduled due to the fairly close proximity between schools. I can pretty much guarantee that no WIAC school wants to play Adrian if it involves a trip to Michigan.
              I agree..Adrian is going to be hard pressed to get one of the WIACs to adventure over.

I'm sure Superior will play St Scholastica... I can't imagine them really wanting to travel/play Finlandia, SNC is out. That leaves Marian, Lake Forest, CUW, all pretty far trips for Superior.

Also looking at River Falls Schedule they have two Home-Away series with Superior. @ Superior 12/6, home vs Superior 12/7...and @ Superior 2/1 and home vs Superior 2/8. What sense does this make?? Don't want to turn this into a WIAC thread, however...
              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Also looking at River Falls Schedule they have two Home-Away series with Superior. @ Superior 12/6, home vs Superior 12/7...and @ Superior 2/1 and home vs Superior 2/8. What sense does this make?? Don't want to turn this into a WIAC thread, however...
                Save $ by returning home versus staying overnite in a hotel.
                SNC Men:
                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                SNC Women:

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                  Save $ by returning home versus staying overnite in a hotel.
                  I suppose that outweighs the cost of gas with two trips vs one
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I suppose that outweighs the cost of gas with two trips vs one
                    Some of the WIAC men's teams have been doing that for the last couple years..
                    SNC Men:
                    SNC Women:

Comment

Last year with 11 teams in the NCHA, there were 20 conference games for each team, leaving 5 non-conference games. With only 7 teams, there will be 12 conference games if each team plays one 2-game series with each other; 24 games if they play each other 4 times. The first scenario leaves 13 non-conference games to schedule; the second scenario leaves only 1.

How easy is it to schedule non-conference games? I assume teams in other conferences have a limited number of non-conference games they can schedule. It may be easier for Adrian to schedule non-conference games with Eastern teams and St. Scholastica to schedule games with MIAC and WIAC teams. I would think Finlandia might have trouble scheduling non-conference games due to its location and the fact that they are not a top team. Marian, Concordia, St. Norbert and Lake Forest might be able to schedule games with WIAC teams and with each other due to their fairly close proximity. Then again, maybe travel costs are not as big of an issue with an all-private school conference.

I will be curious to see what the NCHA team schedules look like this year.

Comment

I've seen Adrian's schedule, but, frankly, I've forgotten what I read.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                          Last year with 11 teams in the NCHA, there were 20 conference games for each team, leaving 5 non-conference games. With only 7 teams, there will be 12 conference games if each team plays one 2-game series with each other; 24 games if they play each other 4 times. The first scenario leaves 13 non-conference games to schedule; the second scenario leaves only 1.

How easy is it to schedule non-conference games? I assume teams in other conferences have a limited number of non-conference games they can schedule. It may be easier for Adrian to schedule non-conference games with Eastern teams and St. Scholastica to schedule games with MIAC and WIAC teams. I would think Finlandia might have trouble scheduling non-conference games due to its location and the fact that they are not a top team. Marian, Concordia, St. Norbert and Lake Forest might be able to schedule games with WIAC teams and with each other due to their fairly close proximity. Then again, maybe travel costs are not as big of an issue with an all-private school conference.

I will be curious to see what the NCHA team schedules look like this year.
                          This is SNC's schedule for next year...only WIAC matchup is with Stevens Point. The NCHA schedule is 3 games against each conference opponent

http://www.snc.edu/athletics/hockeyw...html?s=2013-14

THe WIAC schedule is 4 games against each WIAC team so 12 conference games and 13 non conference. I'm sure scheduling will be tough...especiall with the MIAC only have 5 open spots...we can't all play Gustavus which I'm sure the top teams want to boost their chances.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

This is SNC's schedule for next year...only WIAC matchup is with Stevens Point. The NCHA schedule is 3 games against each conference opponent

http://www.snc.edu/athletics/hockeyw...html?s=2013-14

THe WIAC schedule is 4 games against each WIAC team so 12 conference games and 13 non conference. I'm sure scheduling will be tough...especiall with the MIAC only have 5 open spots...we can't all play Gustavus which I'm sure the top teams want to boost their chances.
                            Interesting schedule. With how well SNC played last year, I imagine they will win some of the games on their schedule by a large margin. Looks like they will be making two trips to Adrian, with the possibility of a third should Adrian host the tournament.

I think some of the MIAC-WIAC matchups have a long-standing history, and I would expect those to continue to be scheduled.

Comment

SNC has 25 games, 3 each against 6 conference opponents, 1 each against Conc-Moorhead, St. Mary's, and St. Ben's who they have played early in the season over their short history, a complimentary 2 game series with Oswego after going east to them last year, and a home and home with SP who is just down the road. No bitterness here, just a schedule that makes sense. I'm thinking that the WIAC schools, eapecially River Falls, got their fill of SNC last year!!!! Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X