This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pink Pony
    A Doug Weight or Brian Rolston would bring instant credibility to the Lakers program.
    But would they bring coaching experience and ability?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Both have been part National Championships, Stanley Cups, and Olympics. Is that enough experience and ability to lead the small town of Soo to the next level.
      If it were, I'm sure Wayne Gretzky, Bart Starr and Pete Rose would have had more success coaching and managing. Playing ability and coaching ability are two vastly different animals.
      Last edited by davyd83; 05-13-2013, 09:49 AM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: LSSU hockey 2013-14

Originally posted by Pink Pony
        Brian Rolaton or Doug Weight does not compare to the three names you mentioned.
        Right, neither Rolston or Weight has coaching experience nor do they have a network of recruiting contacts. There are no D-I coaches to go from NHL player to D-I coach. You've got to spend some time learning the ropes.

Comment

What about Paul Jerrard a former AC at LSSU and is now an AC with the Dallas Stars. He has been in. Sault plus he has endless pro coaching experience.
          An NHL assistant with his experience makes $200,000+. The LSSU coach makes around $90K. I do think Jerrard might be a good candidate though. Excellent coach.

Comment

Thats what LSSU has to pay to get a decent coach if they were able to ever replace the Roque.

Soo is a tough sell for recruits because of it's location and size. I still think the only way for smaller schools to compete with the big boys is to recruit 20 year old Freshman from Canada to win National Championships since the big boys take all the blue-chippers.
            I agree 100%. But actually LSSU and NMU get a number of those 20 year old freshmen who have fallen thru the cracks or for what ever reason have slipped by the big schools. Funding is scarce and difficult to come by for the smaller public schools and neither LSSU or NMU are noted for their plethora of wealthy benefactors. The Soo is an outstanding hockey community. But the fact that there are only 14,000 people there and a huge county with 38K around make it tough to sell enough tickets on a regular basis, especially in an economically challenged area. Yes, the Canadian Soo is a big town, but you don't see too many Twonies crossing the bridge to view or support US College hockey.

Comment

From my understating with older Frshman is how NMU and LSSU won the four National Championships in the 1990's. The older mature players beat the younger 18 and 19 year olds.
              They were a key for those teams. Also there were much looser academic standards in place at that time. You could get in those Prop 48's that the big schools wouldn't take an academic risk on.

Comment

It is my understanding that few schools use 18 year old classic freshmen. Most incoming college players appear to be 19-20. Even today.

Comment

Unless LSSU gets a new President, 4 new Vice Presidents, and a brand new Board of Trustees who ALL put Athletics as a top priority, the Athletic Department at LSSU will not be getting a dime more to fund a head coach or any other endeavor. The last increase in the hockey budget for the "renovation" was difficult enough to get. The President of LSSU makes $150,000. No other person at LSSU will EVER make more than that. I would bet my life savings on it.

Keep dreaming everyone, unless you can find a good coach for $80K out there, we are in for more of the same. The late 90s/early 00s started a shift at LSSU: Athletics has taken a back seat to Academics at LSSU with regards to funding new things, and only a massive change in Admin across the board is going to reverse that.

Comment

Build a NHL hockey rink seating 20,000 and they will come.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      Build a NHL hockey rink seating 20,000 and they will come.
                      I think deep down we all know the answer: Beer. Delicious, tasty beer. It worked for Buffalo Wild Wings right?

Comment

Lakerblue...............it is my understanding that "one and done" schools, and Michigan quickly comes to mind, play "true freshman" as they plan on playing one, if not two years of college before heading off to
                        the NHL. From my experience, colleges that take players for Midgets/high school hockey without stopping for at least one year of Juniors, aren't doing the student/athlete any favors. A good example from Laker
                        history is Mike Vigilantte, who came to the Soo as a true freshman directly from the Little Caesars Midget Major AAA team. The only reason he came to the Lakers that early is that we were faced with matching Bowling Green's offer. They were blowing smoke at "Vig's" dad that he was ready for D1 hockey. He wasn't close. It took Mike until his Junior year to catch up to where he should have been if he had played
                        Juniors. This difficult situation was caused by the Little Caesars Midgets not being taught systems but used raw talent to promote swarm hockey. I heard this directly from college coaches working USA Hockey
                        camps in Colorado Springs when Matt appeared wearing orange & baby blue gloves. My opinion (and I usually have one) is that if there is any question, play Junior "A" and come in as a 20 year old atudent/athlete.

Comment

Rock rumored moving on to the big show.

The Buffalo Sabers have got him so he can reunite with Rolston.

Call Paul Jerrard
                          http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/5/14/4330448/jim-roque-leaving-lake-superior-for-buffalo-sabres

Best of luck to Jim and Julia. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Comment

Maybe Gwoz wants to live close to his hometown in Thunder Bay.
                            Jerrard makes more than Roque, his assistants and trainer combined.

Comment

Maybe Gwoz wants to live close to his hometown in Thunder Bay.
                              And our gift to Buffalo Sabres fans and message boarders we introduce Truth Squad and Truth Serum. The Truth is outta there! I'm sure she (they) will suggest the LSSU explore the possibility of Frank 3.0.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Jerrard makes more than Roque, his assistants and trainer combined.
                                Actually Jerrard and head coach Glen Gulutzan were canned by the Dallas Stars today.

Comment

Working...
                                X