X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Going to need to digest this. So of the three new names:

The guy with the most head coaching experience is actually the one working his way up (Tremblay). Interesting that he worked with Corkum at his (Tremblay's) hockey camp. He seems like a fiery, ambitious guy - probably someone who's going places. Just no college experience, and he's the one guy with no real ties to UMaine(?)

Red's been a career assistant, except for a couple years with the River Rats. Hard to argue with any connection to 92-93, and the 2013 title is nice. But Yale had already turned around before he got there. He spent several years with the devils org, but hasn't really stuck anywhere else. My reservations could be groundless, though. Maybe he's hoping to stick around, and ultimately retire as Maine HC? I just don't know.

Speaking of not knowing, I had it in my head for some reason that Pellerin wasn't interested. Very little HC experience. Had lots of success as an asst with the Monarchs, but it didn't translate smoothly to Bridgeport (and it's not as if he inherited a cellar-dweller). I'd be really interested, but with some reservations.
    Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      Going to need to digest this. So of the three new names:

The guy with the most head coaching experience is actually the one working his way up (Tremblay). Interesting that he worked with Corkum at his (Tremblay's) hockey camp. He seems like a fiery, ambitious guy - probably someone who's going places. Just no college experience, and he's the one guy with no real ties to UMaine(?)

Red's been a career assistant, except for a couple years with the River Rats. Hard to argue with any connection to 92-93, and the 2013 title is nice. But Yale had already turned around before he got there. He spent several years with the devils org, but hasn't really stuck anywhere else. My reservations could be groundless, though. Maybe he's hoping to stick around, and ultimately retire as Maine HC? I just don't know.

Speaking of not knowing, I had it in my head for some reason that Pellerin wasn't interested. Very little HC experience. Had lots of success as an asst with the Monarchs, but it didn't translate smoothly to Bridgeport (and it's not as if he inherited a cellar-dweller). I'd be really interested, but with some reservations.
      I think corkum was an assistant under tremblay at the jr monarchs.

Javier Goritti was talking about candidates in Monday and he mentioned that Pellerin was very much interested which was a surprise to me given the pro coaching path he is on.

Red is an interesting proposition, but as was noted, he's kinda been the career assistant everywhere he's gone.

According to CHN, Ohio State is set to announce current associate head coach Steve Rohlik as their next head coach... options and leverage shrinking for Gwozdecky... and if that is the case, it reaffirms my status as "not a betting man"

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
        George Gwoz would be a great hire, but is he really what you guys are looking for? He is 60 years old Nd probably only has 5-7 years left in him. Maine needs someone who is in it for the long haul.
        Maybe this is what we need? A proven head coach that can transition us out of the Timmay era, turn the program around, and put in a few good years while grooming a replacement and handing things off to someone younger.

Comment

I'm with ABB, I don't see Pelly but who knows. Seems like he is headed the pro route but maybe he doesn't enjoy it? Tremblay seems like a good choice to me. Used to working with younger guys, doesn't he recruit to his team or is it draft?. I still would like to hear what Gwoz has to say
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Maybe this is what we need? A proven head coach that can transition us out of the Timmay era, turn the program around, and put in a few good years while grooming a replacement and handing things off to someone younger.
            Not a bad theory or idea. He does have the track record. Will he excite the fan base tho?

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I'm with ABB, I don't see Pelly but who knows. Seems like he is headed the pro route but maybe he doesn't enjoy it? Tremblay seems like a good choice to me. Used to working with younger guys, doesn't he recruit to his team or is it draft?. I still would like to hear what Gwoz has to say
              Maybe Tremblay would want to be an assistant if he doesn't get the job? I def would take Corkum over Red or Pellerin.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                Not a bad theory or idea. He does have the track record. Will he excite the fan base tho?
                Who would other than Jimmy?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  Who would other than Jimmy?
                  Zombie Shawn Walsh.

Comment

My concern with Pellerin is: is he on the job market mainly because he's worried about getting canned in Bridgeport? Obviously, I have no problem with the idea of having a former star return to campus . . . but is he really thinking about switching gears and going the college route? Is he looking for a backup plan? Did Bridgeport stumble under Pellerin because Garth Snow stole his best players and brought them to Long Island? I'd definitely want to chat with Garth if I'm on the committee. Unless Pellerin had some clear, specific plan, I'd have a hard time putting him in front of Corkum.

I just don't know about Red. He was around in '93, but he's not zombie Shawn Walsh. Did UMass have their best years when Red was there, under Cahoon? That's a plus. But UMass never quite got over the hump. That seems to have happened at Yale, but (1) Yale and Maine are different places, and (2) a lot of that success at Yale obviously goes to Allain.

Honestly, despite the lack of college experience, and the lack of institutional ties, Tremblay is sort of the most interesting of the three -- to me. It seems like a high-risk, potentially high-reward option. It's easy to endorse that from 1000 miles away. Harder to endorse that if you're in Orono, and you like Corkum.

Also, it would be nice if there were an official statement from Maine/Abbott. This may not even be the formal list.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      Per USHR twitter Corkum, Gendron, Pellerin and Tremblay are four candidates. Does anyone know where Tremblay played college hockey?
                      southern maine

Tremblay is not an HC at that level. Maybe D-3 or Atlantic, maybe but not Hockey est yet. Zero recruiting connections outside EJ, which isnt what Maine wants or needs. He made more with Monarchs than TW made last season with U Maine, go figure...
                      Does a great job with Jr program
                      Last edited by Hokydad; 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Maybe Tremblay would want to be an assistant if he doesn't get the job? I def would take Corkum over Red or Pellerin.
                        Considering Tremblay would take a pay cut to take the HEAD Coaching job, there is less than zero chance he would come as an assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                          Considering Tremblay would take a pay cut to take the HEAD Coaching job, there is less than zero chance he would come as an assistant.
                          They need an ast with great contacts and friends in USHL, MN and BCHL. To a lesser extent the NAHL and AJHL and other western Canadian leagues. Needs relationships where friends will push them. they all have them in place and UNH for example has BCHL teams that push for them, same as Merrimack and others. BU strong ties at Vernon for example.

Need to get one of those types or an ast already in D 1 who wants to move up

Comment

Bear in mind that these are the rumored top four candidates. By no means is it official. When it becomes official Abbott will probably make a statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                              Thanks. I really had no idea what Tremblay was making. I thought money might be an issue.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                                If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money in Gwoz being the next Ohio State coach
                                I'll take that bet.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X