X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
    Who here thinks that if Corkum is hired full-time Kerluke must go? Needs to be a separation from the current regime IMHO.
    absolutely. full disclosure, i have never been a kerluke fan. i think he was hired into a position for which he did not have the necessary experience, and frankly, i don't think he has developed the skill set anywhere near what is required of a DI assistant that is heavily involved in scouting/recruiting. I think if corkum is hired he would be doing himself an absolute disservice on a number levels if he were to keep him on. beyond my opinion about his recruiting chops, for me, if he keeps him on it will undermine his attempts to distance himself from whitehead, and with that, will result in fans being less patient with him. i fully expect it will take corkum a couple of years to turn things around, and during that time, results might be better, but not at the 20+ win/garden/ncaa season level that we would all be happy with. with kerluke in the fold, if the team struggles, it'll be viewed as status quo/not enough change, further discrediting corkum. add to that the likely comparisons that will be drawn to denver and it could get ugly in hurry...

the way i look at it is this... if kerluke were to be let go, what DI programs would be clamoring to retain his services? i can't see any relevant teams falling all over themselves to hire him...
    Last edited by gscott13; 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I think if Corkum brings in two quality assistants and a volunteer goaltending coach that at least lives in the United States of America, Maine could compete next season. Lomberg, Shore, Merchant could be a very good first line. Steve Swavely, Mark Anthoine, Connor Leen could be decent guys who could score 5-10 goals. Some of the incoming forwards will score goals, as well.

Daniel Renouf and Ben Hutton could be very good d-men who transition well, have good vision, maneuver power play. Eric Schurhamer could be decent. Bottom three defenders will be an utter disaster. Let's hope Ouellette plays well again this year.

Team should play energized under a new coach. No matter what they said, team didn't respect Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
        absolutely. full disclosure, i have never been a kerluke fan. i think he was hired into a position for which he did not have the necessary experience, and frankly, i don't think he has developed the skill set anywhere near what is required of a DI assistant that is heavily involved in scouting/recruiting. I think if corkum is hired he would be doing himself an absolute disservice on a number levels if he were to keep him on. beyond my opinion about his recruiting chops, for me, if he keeps him on it will undermine his attempts to distance himself from whitehead, and with that, will result in fans being less patient with him. i fully expect it will take corkum a couple of years to turn things around, and during that time, results might be better, but not at the 20+ win/garden/ncaa season level that we would all be happy with. with kerluke in the fold, if the team struggles, it'll be viewed as status quo/not enough change, further discrediting corkum. add to that the likely comparisons that will be drawn to denver and it could get ugly in hurry...

the way i look at it is this... if kerluke were to be let go, what DI programs would be clamoring to retain his services? i can't see any relevant teams falling all over themselves to hire him...
        I think Jim Tortorella would be a nice addition to a Corkum regime. I can see those two getting along and I think Jim's experience and connections can only help. And furthermore, I dont see why Red Gendron wouldnt fit well with those two. Okay, I can endorse that as a package. Lets get going and see if Red can win another NC.
        Last edited by all bear; 04-23-2013, 04:43 PM.
        sure why not

Comment

The old ideas aren't/weren't working so why would you keep Kerluke or the Skype coach? You want some excitement around the program you best bring in some new blood to help generate that.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by johnk View Post

Sorry to intrude this mostly informative thread but let me try to translate this morons reply to English: "I have no clue what I'm talking about but like to act like I do. I am basically full of $hi t." Carry on.
            Forgotten more then you will ever know you hick. Go back go your soap opera threads and your giggling LOL routine

Comment

I was in favor of a clean break.

That said, if Corkum gets the nod, I'm in favor of him choosing whoever he wants, whether or not that means retaining Kerluke. He'll still have a paid assistant to hire, as well as a volunteer. [Stuff] rolls uphill, it's his backside on the line, he should have the staff he wants.

I wonder if Metcalf's presence on the committee will indirectly benefit Kerluke? Obviously, they were together for 3 (very good) years...
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                The old ideas aren't/weren't working so why would you keep Kerluke or the Skype coach?
                The university has already said the days of the coaching by Skype are over. If Alexander wants to volunteer, he can either move to Bangor or commute.

Comment

As predicted, Leaman has successfully leveraged the Maine opening for a nice raise and an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    As predicted, Leaman has successfully leveraged the Maine opening for a nice raise and an extension.
                    Appears that he will be at Providence for at least 10 years or more, similar to Enrico Blasi.

Comment

Woody Paige of Denver Post and Around The Horn on ESPN reporting George Gwozdecky is top candidate at Maine. Anyone hear anything of this??

Comment

• Jim Tortorella will not leave unh to be an assistant coach---no chance. The reason he took the unh job is because his current wife lives right near unh. Red Gendron absolutely will not leave Yale to be an assistant at Maine. No chance. That said, I have heard that red is trying to get the HC job. Another name that I am surprised is not being mentioned is Sean Tremblay. He is a Maine native and is one of the most successful junior coaches in the country. Knows how to win, knows how to recruit and I personally think that he is the guy. George Gwoz would be a great hire, but is he really what you guys are looking for? He is 60 years old Nd probably only has 5-7 years left in him. Maine needs someone who is in it for the long haul.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          Woody Paige of Denver Post and Around The Horn on ESPN reporting George Gwozdecky is top candidate at Maine. Anyone hear anything of this??
                          Wouldn't read too much into Paige's Comments. The reality is that, yes, Gwozdecky is the most proven commodity on the market as far as college coaches go, but that's about all woody knows. He knows nOthing of the economics, etc, only that Gwoz won games and titles.

If I stepped down from my high school coaching position I could say that he is a top candidate to replace me... doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money in Gwoz being the next Ohio State coach

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                            Woody Paige wouldn't know a hockey puck if it hit him in the face (what a great idea!) so I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.

Comment

• So I think offense and goaltending could be good next year but defense could be atrocious outside top 3. Any thoughts?

Comment

Per USHR twitter Corkum, Gendron, Pellerin and Tremblay are four candidates. Does anyone know where Tremblay played college hockey?

Comment

Working...
                                X