Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answer one question. You have JM recruiting you to Maine and you are a good ushl/ndtp type
    What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until HD replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.
    He can do it from day one at DU but not at Maine. Kids want results and exposure.
    He would only get second tier kids.
    No one would even know him
    At least Corkum has a resume and can throw around NHL names and talk about NHL dev camp contacts

It will work out well for him at DU, very well
    Good in end for all

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Answer one question. You have JM recruiting you to Maine and you are a good ushl/ndtp type
      What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until HD replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.
      He can do it from day one at DU but not at Maine. Kids want results and exposure.
      He would only get second tier kids.
      No one would even know him
      At least Corkum has a resume and can throw around NHL names and talk about NHL dev camp contacts

It will work out well for him at DU, very well
      Good in end for all
      I think kids go different places for different reasons and I think it's rare we actually know what they were. The kids themselves might not even truly know. When they say they went a certain place because of the coach I think in a lot of cases it's bs.

Question for you, do you think recruiting is as important as it was 10 or 20 years ago? I don't really think it is with all the parity we see nowadays.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I find it interesting that some of those who would question Jim Montgomery's loyalty to Maine are the same who were asking for Whitehead to be fired after he gave the University 12 years and was in the NCAA just a year ago. Is loyalty only a one way street? A winning coach goes elsewhere and he's disloyal. But have a rough year and they're calling for your head. Where is the fans loyalty to the coach?
        HUH? what are you smoking i want some!

They have missed the tournament 6 of 7 years. 3 of those seasons with 13 or less wins....

Comment

Originally posted by Allagash View Post
          HUH? what are you smoking i want some!

They have missed the tournament 6 of 7 years. 3 of those seasons with 13 or less wins....
          So like I said, loyalty doesn't go in favor of the coach who doesn't win enough. But if he does win, or is a good strong candidate who goes elsewhere, he is the disloyal one. It's the same with players at the pro level. The only thing fans need to be loyal to is the win column. Players and coaches, if they are successful, are supposed to be loyal to the school, the community, the fans, etc no matter what. If you haven't had the success those fans desire, you better have your bags packed and be on the first train outta Dodge.
          Last edited by davyd83; 04-23-2013, 10:45 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

So like I said, loyalty doesn't go in favor of the coach who doesn't win enough. But if he does win, or is a good strong candidate who goes elsewhere, he is the disloyal one. It's the same with players at the pro level. The only thing fans need to be loyal to is the win column. Players and coaches, if they are successful, are supposed to be loyal to the school, the community, the fans, etc no matter what. If you haven't had the success those fans desire, you better have your bags packed and be on the first train outta Dodge.
            Not really. Loyalty bought Whitehead a lot of rope from a lot of people from about 2008-10. It had to turn around at some point and it did not. 7 years exhausts loyalty.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

@davy I'm not sure where you're getting this.

I can only speak for myself. I would say that Montgomery's main loyalty is -- and should be -- to himself and his family. I'm not criticizing him for being a turncoat, or something. I don't think anyone here is.

To the extent I've criticized Montgomery, it's in relation to the string of public statements he's made about the Maine search: I don't think he's been completely professional about it. But, truth be told, even that criticism is mostly out of boredom. I'm not interested enough to re-hash it. Just read back 3 pages or so.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I pretty much agree with this. Just for the record, I was loyal to Tim and still am. Probably the only one on this forum.

Comment

D1 men's hockey is (for many schools) a revenue sport.

Yes, it's about competition and character and developing as people, and there are coaches all across the country in div3 who excel at that, and who've earned loyalty on that basis.

Division 1, for better or worse, is as much about entertainment as it is about teaching. Outside of a handful of extreme cases, there shouldn't be any expectation of tenure. Of course, the tradeoff is working with more highly-skilled players and receiving higher pay. If you want stability and loyalty, supplement your hockey experience with an advanced degree and look for a job at someplace like a libarts college, where teaching is part of the institution's identity.

I guess I fail to understand why it's so awful that, for revenue sports, high-reward comes with high-risk.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    I pretty much agree with this. Just for the record, I was loyal to Tim and still am. Probably the only one on this forum.
                    Right.

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Long time ago I used to have a boss who I was pretty loyal to. Until that point in time where he stopped doing his job properly and it effected me. Guess what, my loyalty ended right then and there. And he was once pretty competent. Imagine how I would have felt if he was incompetent to start with. You know, someone who couldnt compete in the arena in which he was working. Sound familiar? When the people of this state pay someone a relatively exhorbitant amount of money for doing a poor job, we have no requirment or bond to be "loyal" to that person. Our only responsiblity is to make sure that person is doing his job correctly for his compensation or is replaced by someone who can and will do it properly.
                      Last edited by all bear; 04-23-2013, 11:54 AM.
                      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        When the people of this state pay someone a relatively exhorbitant amount of money for doing a poor job, we have no requirment or bond to be "loyal" to that person. Our only responsiblity is to make sure that person is doing his job correctly for his compensation or is replaced by someone who can and will do it properly.
                        Unfortunately LePage gets to serve all four years of his term. 2014 is just around the corner though!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          I think kids go different places for different reasons and I think it's rare we actually know what they were. The kids themselves might not even truly know. When they say they went a certain place because of the coach I think in a lot of cases it's bs.

Question for you, do you think recruiting is as important as it was 10 or 20 years ago? I don't really think it is with all the parity we see nowadays.
                          Kids go to names and winners if they are blue chip. I dont think it is as important as eevryone knows eevryone out there. Maine grabbing a Paul Karyia with a Grant and SW would be tough
                          All great asts today who travel all over. My point is JM would do well at DU, not as well at Maine but over time, if they gave it to him , maybe

He has the ability+ but kids want the rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Kids go to names and winners if they are blue chip. I dont think it is as important as eevryone knows eevryone out there. Maine grabbing a Paul Karyia with a Grant and SW would be tough
                            All great asts today who travel all over. My point is JM would do well at DU, not as well at Maine but over time, if they gave it to him , maybe

He has the ability+ but kids want the rep.
                            Sorry to intrude this mostly informative thread but let me try to translate this morons reply to English: "I have no clue what I'm talking about but like to act like I do. I am basically full of $hi t." Carry on.
                            Last edited by johnk; 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Who here thinks that if Corkum is hired full-time Kerluke must go? Needs to be a separation from the current regime IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                Who here thinks that if Corkum is hired full-time Kerluke must go? Needs to be a separation from the current regime IMHO.
                                I think it depends on who else is out there. I wouldn't get rid of him just for the sake of it.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X