This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allagash View Post
    Jim montgomery also retains his remarkable legacy at Umaine by not being it's coach. He does not have the pressure of being maine's savior and the next shawn walsh.
    He has been and done his thing at Umaine, maybe he wanted to make a new name for himself somewhere else and not try and live up to the impossible task of re-creating his years at Umaine.

Cindy blodgett was basically run out of town, a monumental fall from grace from her playing days at umaine.

That could have come into play in his thinking, who the hell knows.
    the bottom line for Mintgomery is that today he has the position at Denver signed, sealed, delivered it's his. Maine has yet to make a move. Had he not accepted when Denver offered the job, it's likely Derek LaLonde would have movers in Green Bay packing his stuff for a move to Colorado. No one in their right mind could expect Montgomery to ask Denver for an extended period of time while Maine makes up their mind. As for his comments, I'm tired of fans complaining when coaches and players answer in stock room cliches, but also blow it up when you do get an honest answer. Shocked and stunned is "strong language?. Really? Maybe it's just the way he felt when asked. Everyone wants honest answers until they get one.

Montgomery has been a success at the USHL and is well respected by his peers in the college hockey community. Personally, I would have lived to see LaLonde get the DU job. But Debver made a very good hire in Mintgomery.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by all bear View Post
      Im beginning to think ole Red is the second coming of Grant Standbrook .
      He needs a new nickname though. Maybe "Whitey"?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
        . I don't begrudge Jimmy for going to DU for whatever reason.
        Anyone who does is cracked. he did what he thought was best for him at the time. As far as the quotes in the BDN, who the F cares what he thinks. He is the coach at DU, he has nothing to do with Maine and hasn't since 1993, 20 years ago. he hasn't said anything remotely controversial, someone called him and asked him questions, he answered. I'm more worried about the Nat'l search and the committee who makes the selections. They're the ones we should worry about, not a guy who has nothing to do with anything at UMaine
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm pretty much done commenting until there's actual news.

edit:

scratch that. I am done.

Wake me up when the search committee unveils the finalist/s
          Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Speaking of food, tried out the Poor Boy & Pickles joint on Forest Ave. Best sandwich I have ever had, hands down. With that had a key lime pie milk shake. Both were out of this world. Now have my new fav sandwich shop right across the street from my fav fried seafood joint --- Susans Fish and Chips. I know it aint pizza, but we have to diversify, right ? Okay, back to coaches and that long drawn out...yawn ...search.
            I know their sandwich's are awesome. A little pricey but sooooo worth it. Try the donut holes with chocolate dipping sauce for desert next time you go.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
              I know their sandwich's are awesome. A little pricey but sooooo worth it. Try the donut holes with chocolate dipping sauce for desert next time you go.
              I was eyeballing them but didnt go there. Pricey? Meh, twenty bucks for the 2 of us...for that quality dont know anywhere else we could go to match it. Lots of good looking sandwiches so many reasons to go back in the future. They're a short distance to where my folks are moving into so we get the chance to take them there ....know for sure they'll like it.
              sure why not

Comment

Everyone should try the Family Dog next time in Orono.

Comment

I find it interesting that some of those who would question Jim Montgomery's loyalty to Maine are the same who were asking for Whitehead to be fired after he gave the University 12 years and was in the NCAA just a year ago. Is loyalty only a one way street? A winning coach goes elsewhere and he's disloyal. But have a rough year and they're calling for your head. Where is the fans loyalty to the coach?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I find it interesting that some of those who would question Jim Montgomery's loyalty to Maine are the same who were asking for Whitehead to be fired after he gave the University 12 years and was in the NCAA just a year ago. Is loyalty only a one way street? A winning coach goes elsewhere and he's disloyal. But have a rough year and they're calling for your head. Where is the fans loyalty to the coach?
                    You lost me at "a rough year."
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                      Personally I have no problem with Corkum and he "could" be the right guy, but he certainly is not going to bring back the fans and the donor money until the team starts winning. But I would be shocked if they made this move to put Corkum in place. They could have done it mid-season and given the reins to Corkum to see if it was a good fit.
                      Yup.

Maine's timing has been God-awful for years now, and life is all about timing.

Having said that, I do think that Corkum will coach a much better style of hockey. My question will be: can he recruit?
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-23-2013, 01:54 AM.

Comment

One has to consider the possibility, though painful as it is to long term Maine fans, that maybe Jimmay was more interested in the DU job when it became available than the Maine job. Maybe Jimmay was trying to let his loyal fans down gently by putting some blame back on the university for not contacting him, knowing full well the Mainuhs would not appreciate his going elsewhere. So he bleeds blue to a point where it interferes with his own interests.
                        Bingo, perhaps...

I've considered posting this for a while now, but reconsidered time and time again because it's all speculation on my part.

Still, I've had a cocktail or two tonight, so here goes: all I needed to see about Monty was the my-dog-just-died look in his eyes when PK accepted the Hobey while Paul gave him all the credit, and the non-existent response from "his" team during the locker room footage. (It's all available on the "Out of the Woods" videos on YouTube.)

I wanted him to come to Maine and recruit, but perhaps Corkum can do more with less. Jimmy looked like a used-car salesman back then. Maybe he still is. Let's see how he deals with grown men this time around before we all get our shorts in a bunch.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-23-2013, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Bingo, perhaps...

I've considered posting this for a while now, but reconsidered time and time again because it's all speculation on my part.

Still, I've had a cocktail or two tonight, so here goes: all I needed to see about Monty was the my-dog-just-died look in his eyes when PK accepted the Hobey while Paul gave him all the credit, and the non-existent response from "his" team during the locker room footage. (It's all available on the "Out of the Woods" videos on YouTube.)

I wanted him to come to Maine and recruit, but perhaps Corkum can do more with less. Jimmy looked like a used-car salesman back then. Maybe he still is. Let's see how he deals with grown men this time around before we all get our shorts in a bunch.
                          Whoa !! You really did have some cocktails . But you may be dead on with this. You never really know these guys until you get to know these guys. Profound, huh?
                          sure why not

Comment

I'm more disappointed about how the entire athletic department is handled these days than not hiring Montgomery. Does anyone else feel like the department is rudderless right now???

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                              I'm more disappointed about how the entire athletic department is handled these days than not hiring Montgomery. Does anyone else feel like the department is rudderless right now???
                              I don't think it's that great right now, but is way ahead of where it's been the last five or 10 years. At least Abbott is from Maine and has some ties to the school. Much more than you can say about the two clowns who preceded him.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Answer one question. You have JM recruiting you to Maine and you are a good ushl/ndtp type
                                What can he offer you to beat out BU, BC, Harvard, UNH(maybe) and all of the western schools. No one woild go to Maine to play for him until he replicates what SW did. That takes time to build a rep.
                                He can do it from day one at DU but not at Maine. Kids want results and exposure.
                                He would only get second tier kids.
                                No one would even know him
                                At least Corkum has a resume and can throw around NHL names and talk about NHL dev camp contacts

It will work out well for him at DU, very well
                                Good in end for all
                                Last edited by Hokydad; 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X