This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Zach Glienke reversed course and signed his NLOI last Wednesday to play hockey at Maine. He had said he wouldn't sign his letter until the new coach was named.

Anyone still think it will be anyone other than Corkum?

Comment

Let's get it over with! Give Bob a shot, all in favor? All opposed?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Zach Glienke reversed course and signed his NLOI last Wednesday to play hockey at Maine. He had said he wouldn't sign his letter until the new coach was named.

I'm leaning toward Corkum being the recommendation from the search committee, but honestly someone else would not surprise me. It's really somewhat of a "crap shoot" in terms of ensuring future success when all of the candidates have good credentials. I would really prefer that the committee "clean house". We shall see.

Comment

Ali Fraser is leaving the basketball program. There is absolutely nothing this athletic department can do right.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            Bingo.

I'm not saying this entire situation doesn't smell rotten. What I *am* saying is that Jimmy is probably trying to have it both ways. He was never coming to Orono. But he gets to keep his Maine cred by making sure the blame falls on Steve Abbott (who, granted, is an easy target).

Clearly, Jimmy has no problem talking to the media. He's a GD pro at it. If he really in his heart of hearts wanted the Maine job, he could have put all kinds of pressure on Maine. He didn't. He only started making public comments after he had the DU interview lined up. He's where he wants to be, and that isn't Orono.

I think Jimmy supporters are right that Maine might have had a shot at him if they'd acted faster. I just think it would have had to have been a whole lot faster. As in, firing Whitehead last december faster. Even if Maine had announced a shortlist immediately after letting Whitehead go, they'd still have been going up against DU with their search, and Jimmy would still be a Pio.

edit:

My thinking has changed since I came up with the Pio username. Back then, it looked like this was complete and utter incompetence by the administration. Then I asked myself, why would Jimmy say that nobody from Maine had spoken to him the very same week that . . . wait for it . . . someone from Maine had spoken to him? Even if it wasn't officially about the job . . . he has to know that - at best - he's splitting hairs. And he's splitting hairs in a way that deflects attention away from him and on to Abbott. That's not a very classy thing to do.

Maybe Larry either misquoted him or put his words out of context. Yeah, that's it. Larry hasn't exactly won any Pulitzers for investigative reporting . . . Jimmy's probably annoyed with him, too. There's just one problem: if Larry's using Jimmy to portray the administration in a bad light, this is a very recent development. From afar, it seems like the guy has bent over backwards not to challenge Maine. Then Larry published another article quoting Jimmy. Then another.

I don't want to speculate what Jimmy's game is, here . . . or what his motives are. But this thing doesn't exactly reflect well on him, either. At this point, honestly, I think he should focus on winning the USHL title, and then move on to his new job. Continuing to comment on Maine doesn't reflect well on him. Purely my opinion. Others may see it differently.
            I tend to agree with your edit ABB. When I red Monty's initial quote of "shocked and stunned" that he hadn't yet been contacted I immediately thought it was funny that he would use such strong language. My first instinct was that it had been taken out of context since it just stood out there alone, not part of a larger quote. Now, looking back, I tend to think that JM used such strong language because he already knew he had a good chance at getting and accepting the Denver job. Saying something like that preserves his interest in the Maine job should he not land the Denver job and at the same time portrays the UMaine administration as incompetent so that if he does indeed land the Denver job it is not because he didn't want to get the Maine job, it was because Maine didn't want him.

As for Larry writing these articles, it is hard to blame him for quoting montgomery in the first few articles because he probably couldn't resist printing quotes (especially quotes involving such strong language as 'shocked and stunned') from Jim Montgomery, a name that catches the eye of almost any reader remotely interested in Maine hockey. He is doing his job and trying to get people to read his article. In hindsight, after Monty takes the job at Denver, those quotes from monty about never talking to anyone from the administration do appear to throw the athletic department under the bus, especially if he knew all along he'd rather have the Denver job. At the time though from Larry's perspective, is very possible that he may have been trying to shed some light on the fact that Montgomery was slipping away and wanted to generate some more pressure on the athletic department to at least contact him regarding the position. So I don't buy that Larry was trying to throw the administration under the bus all along. I think he was trying to light a fire under them to get out and contact Montgomery. However, for all we know, the Steve and Monty may have already discussed everything and Steve may have known what Monty's wishes were and that is why he didn't call him (or anyone) once Whitehead was fired. That way if Monty gets the job, it doesn't look like he turned down Maine and he can preserve his image. For Abbott, either way he doesn't look good for not landing Monty but there's nothing that he or anyone could do about it once the ball was rolling with Denver and Monty. That's my take.
            New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Nope and I wish they'd hurry up so we can get back to talking pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Pudge View Post
                However, for all we know, the Steve and Monty may have already discussed everything and Steve may have known what Monty's wishes were and that is why he didn't call him (or anyone) once Whitehead was fired. That way if Monty gets the job, it doesn't look like he turned down Maine and he can preserve his image. For Abbott, either way he doesn't look good for not landing Monty but there's nothing that he or anyone could do about it once the ball was rolling with Denver and Monty. That's my take.
                I believe Steve said that he talked to Monty during the evaluation, but before the firing. The fact that neither one contacted the other after the firing indicates to me that it was clear to both that Monty and Maine was not a match that would be made. Given the fact that the two had a conversation, I don't appreciate Monty's quotes about not being contacted and about how to run the search.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                  I wish they'd hurry up so we can get back to talking pizza.
                  I've had Leonardo's, Pizza Hut, and Domino's in the past four days and look forward to having a good pie the next time I get one - which won't be for a while after this weekend.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Speaking of food, tried out the Poor Boy & Pickles joint on Forest Ave. Best sandwich I have ever had, hands down. With that had a key lime pie milk shake. Both were out of this world. Now have my new fav sandwich shop right across the street from my fav fried seafood joint --- Susans Fish and Chips. I know it aint pizza, but we have to diversify, right ? Okay, back to coaches and that long drawn out...yawn ...search.
                    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                      Nope and I wish they'd hurry up so we can get back to talking pizza.
                      Talking about pizza I'm having pizza right now
                      IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NAVY AND BLUE! UMAINE BLACK BEARS

National Champions 93' 99'

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        I believe Steve said that he talked to Monty during the evaluation, but before the firing. The fact that neither one contacted the other after the firing indicates to me that it was clear to both that Monty and Maine was not a match that would be made. Given the fact that the two had a conversation, I don't appreciate Monty's quotes about not being contacted and about how to run the search.
                        4/14/13 - "It was a few weeks ago, not days ago (right after the Lowell playoff series) that I spoke with Jim (Montgomery). Larry Mahoney asked me if I had called Jim in the 48 hours after firing Tim--I had not..."
                        That is the timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Pudge View Post
                          ........For Abbott, either way he doesn't look good for not landing Monty but there's nothing that he or anyone could do about it once the ball was rolling with Denver and Monty. That's my take.
                          My take as well...Montgomery was already deep into the DU process by 4/9/13, the day Whitehead was canned. Too deep to do a 180 and jump at the Maine job.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                            My take as well...Montgomery was already deep into the DU process by 4/9/13, the day Whitehead was canned. Too deep to do a 180 and jump at the Maine job.
                            The Denver situation could very well be more appealing for him. I think that is what it all boiled down to. I don't think there should be any hard feelings either way.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Jim montgomery also retains his remarkable legacy at Umaine by not being it's coach. He does not have the pressure of being maine's savior and the next shawn walsh.
                              He has been and done his thing at Umaine, maybe he wanted to make a new name for himself somewhere else and not try and live up to the impossible task of re-creating his years at Umaine.

Cindy blodgett was basically run out of town, a monumental fall from grace from her playing days at umaine.

That could have come into play in his thinking, who the hell knows.

Comment

As much as most of us here love Maine hockey, have some fondness for the state of Maine, etc, did it ever occur to people that maybe Montgomery and/or his wife would prefer to raise their children closer to a city than near Orono? I enjoyed spending time at Maine, going to parties, bars, etc during college years, but love being back near Boston now. Everyone is different. Some people love being in or near a big city. Some love the peace, quiet and serenity of the beautiful country. Who knows if that is the reason, but everyone is entitled to their own choices in this matter and no one should begrudge the other side because both sides have their advantages and disadvantages.

Edit: For all those that will jump on me, saying they live in Dubuque, Iowa now, that was a career move to try and get a better opportunity down the road. I don't begrudge Jimmy for going to DU for whatever reason.
                                Last edited by irishfan85; 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X