This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

You guys are getting one of the best hockey minds in the game. I spoke to some Yale players this morning about the loss and they are extremely sad to see him go (happy for him as well). They say it was no coincidence that after two years of him being the assistant and running the defense, that they won the national championship.

In regards to people wondering "if he is so good why did he not get any other jobs" This is not necessarily the case as one of the main reasons he took the Maine job is because it was one of the few he wanted. He enjoyed being an assistant coach and being more involved in the teaching aspect of the game and developing relationships with his players, but being from Maine - and having coached there already - this was an opportunity he just couldn't pass up.

Maine should be thrilled with this selection.... now Yale has to find a suitable replacement.

Comment

I'm with BoSox. The more I read about what others say about Red the more excited I am. Hopefully Walshy is smiling looking down. My gut is telling me this is a great chioce.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        How old? 59? Surely you were all expecting a much younger coach than that, right?
        55, expecting younger? I'd say yes but if he surrounds himself with the right Assts, does it really matter?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          55, expecting younger? I'd say yes but if he surrounds himself with the right Assts, does it really matter?
          He just needs to restore Maine hockey for 8-10 years with two young assistants and then leave the program to someone else.
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ry-black-bears

My story on why I think Gendron could succeed at Maine.
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Yalewhaler says he worked with the defense.....that's exciting since that's clearly been Maine's biggest weakness the last 5-6 years.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

No chit, this man is a proving winner, has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge and hockey smarts. 55 is hardly old, gwoz is older and everyone was drooling over him, 55 is nothing, christ.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Yalewhaler says he worked with the defense.....that's exciting since that's clearly been Maine's biggest weakness the last 5-6 years.
                  Be nice to see a Dman take the body on a regular basis.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Larson210 View Post
                    I interviewed Red in the immediate wake of the national championship last month and he was incredible to speak to. I will try to uncover that audio piece I did. For the last four years I have been a student and broadcaster at Quinnipiac, so I have seen my fair share of Yale. Late in games I've noticed Red doing a fair amount of talking on the bench and setting up plays out of timeouts, like you see with most assistant coaches. I know a few of the players on QU who said that Red is a "beaut" and that he tried to recruit a few of them. He was pretty soft spoken in the interview, but very serious in other moments. I remember most that he said Keith Allain is his best friend and one of the first things he thinks about when he gets up in the morning is that he never wanted to disappoint his friend. He believes very strongly in the idea of family in hockey and says he still gets phone calls from the players he coached at Bellows Free Academy. So from what I gathered out of my interview at the time and the players I spoke to, Maine is getting a guy that has tons of experience, some head coaching experience in the AHL, and a guy that really cares for the players he coaches. I think he is going to have a very positive effect on the players this summer, but the only thing I have to wonder about is where the energy is going to come from. Although, I have seen him get passionate on the bench in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the man and I can't wait to see what translates to Maine. Don't be shocked if Yale makes its way onto the schedule in the near future.

All I can think about when I see him is that scene from Out of the Woods where he is in the middle a room full of computers with paper spewing out of every machine saying, "Teams are crazy not to use this kind of technology." He looked like a mad scientist.
                    I think someone posted it already in this thread or the first summer thread but was he talking about some of his former umaine players and such? He was enjoyable to listen to, good story teller. I'm thrilled to have him as our coach to be honest. He has put his time in and deserves this, I wish him the best and maybe some of the nutcases here will chill out and let him do his thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      How about loyalty to the program and fans? I have no problem with anything he said. The last few years have been tough to take as evidenced by around 2500 fans showing up for a lot of the games. The program needs to get better and back to where it was. He didn't say anything that wasn't true.
                      I agree, I also have no problem with what corkrum said either. He spoke his mind and didn't say the usual garbage when a coach replaces another coach like " He was a great coach who did a great job, but it was time for a change.
                      I'm glad corkrum spoke the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Be nice to see a Dman take the body on a regular basis.
                        Yes take the body and be in shape for 60 minutes,constant pressure and make the other team pay the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          One thing I can promise is that we will see one of the best-conditioned teams in Hockey East. I expect the dryland training will be epic.
                          i figured that was already the case from chasing them there sheep and goats around the greater orono metropolis
                          (er at least the fan base)
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            i figured that was already the case from chasing them there sheep and goats around the greater orono metropolis
                            (er at least the fan base)
                            ....only the cute ones!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                              The problem isn't the message, it was the messenger and the forum. If a reporter, or an outsider, made those comments everyone would acknowledge that they were factually correct. The biggest problem he faces with those comments is that he completely threw Whitehead under the bus and now every potential boss he could have is going to struggle to trust him. He could've separated himself from Whitehead in his job interview, behind closed doors. Instead, he decided to try and win the job in the public and that never works. The second issue is that his comments show no accountability. At the end of the day, he bears some of the responsibility (everyone associated does) for what happened during Whitehead's tenure. Either way, I'm sure it's a move he regrets the tact he took and will learn from it.

Focusing on the more important news, you guys are getting arguably the best teacher of the game in all of hockey...congrats & good luck!
                              My sentiments exactly. Well stated and thanks for the good wishes. I hope that Red succeeds as a head coach. Most Maine fans blame Tim for everything that went wrong the last few years and rightfully so, he is the head coach. However, there are other issues that no one will ever know about that caused the program to drop in stature the last few years. In fairness to Tim, he was working to correct the weaknesses and Red is going to inherit a pretty good team. Corkum was paid to coach players and shares responsibility as well. Tim is well liked and does have many friends in the college hockey community (as another poster stated). Corkum's tactics were very unprofessional in my mind and I'm sure other coaches in the league perceived it the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                My sentiments exactly. Well stated and thanks for the good wishes. I hope that Red succeeds as a head coach. Most Maine fans blame Tim for everything that went wrong the last few years and rightfully so, he is the head coach. However, there are other issues that no one will ever know about that caused the program to drop in stature the last few years. In fairness to Tim, he was working to correct the weaknesses and Red is going to inherit a pretty good team. Corkum was paid to coach players and shares responsibility as well. Tim is well liked and does have many friends in the college hockey community (as another poster stated). Corkum's tactics were very unprofessional in my mind and I'm sure other coaches in the league perceived it the same way.
                                You are admittedly one of tims Most loyal supporters on here. I'm not sure about these other issues you speak of that caused the program to drop, can you enlighten us?
                                I see walshes recruits all gone, who couldn't win with jimmy howard? and grant gone, after that I don't see any success from tim? I also so don't see where tim was correcting these problems he had in the last 7 years. His one decent year was with a team that was loaded and they still greatly underachieved. Tim did recruit some very good players but never did much with them and when they left, there were gaping holes.
                                Red is not inheriting a pretty good team, they' should be much better but In no way was this team lighting it up under tim. If red can miraculously take this team to the ncaa tournament next year, I truly believe whitehead would not have been able to do the same.
                                I Firmly believe the drop in the program is a direct result of tim whiteheads style of management and coaching, saying there areother issues out there that no one knows about is putting less blame on whitehead.
                                There is way to much *** kissing in sports nowadays amongst players and coaches, it is all one big lovefest nowadays with to much, I don't want to upset anyone. It was refreshing to hear what corkrum said, what all the fans already thought, except a few....
                                Last edited by Allagash; 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X