This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Red Gendron....proving that you can escape from Berlin, NH and be successful and have a life. If he was associated with Mark Tilton there as Im sure he was, a physically fit team will not be a problem.
    sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      How do you know Maine missed on their first half dozen choices? I don't think there was much interest from Capuano or Gwoz. As far as Jimmy, I don't think there was much interest from Maine.
      Red is the best bang for the buck.

He has proven he can win in college and NHL.

A hidden gem for Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        The Reports(many)say he'll be offered the Job,remember how crazy this search has gone...Gendron could say Thanks but No Thanks..possible.
        Oz is second

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
          Oz is second
          Red is better friends with Tim Whitehead than he is with Bob Corkum. The last coach to give Corkum a chance got bashed in a letter upon his firing. Whitehead has an awful lot of friends in hockey and is well liked...that was the wrong move by corkum, big time....no chance Red keeps him on nor should he...

If they have a disagreement, what will corkum send more letters? There are ways to handle things and there are ways not to handle things....corkum showed little to no loyality to the man that give him an opportunity---now he will face the music...my guess is he is not working in college hockey next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
            Red is better friends with Tim Whitehead than he is with Bob Corkum. The last coach to give Corkum a chance got bashed in a letter upon his firing. Whitehead has an awful lot of friends in hockey and is well liked...that was the wrong move by corkum, big time....no chance Red keeps him on nor should he...

If they have a disagreement, what will corkum send more letters? There are ways to handle things and there are ways not to handle things....corkum showed little to no loyality to the man that give him an opportunity---now he will face the music...my guess is he is not working in college hockey next year.
            How about loyalty to the program and fans? I have no problem with anything he said. The last few years have been tough to take as evidenced by around 2500 fans showing up for a lot of the games. The program needs to get better and back to where it was. He didn't say anything that wasn't true.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

How about loyalty to the program and fans? I have no problem with anything he said. The last few years have been tough to take as evidenced by around 2500 fans showing up for a lot of the games. The program needs to get better and back to where it was. He didn't say anything that wasn't true.
              The problem isn't the message, it was the messenger and the forum. If a reporter, or an outsider, made those comments everyone would acknowledge that they were factually correct. The biggest problem he faces with those comments is that he completely threw Whitehead under the bus and now every potential boss he could have is going to struggle to trust him. He could've separated himself from Whitehead in his job interview, behind closed doors. Instead, he decided to try and win the job in the public and that never works. The second issue is that his comments show no accountability. At the end of the day, he bears some of the responsibility (everyone associated does) for what happened during Whitehead's tenure. Either way, I'm sure it's a move he regrets the tact he took and will learn from it.

Focusing on the more important news, you guys are getting arguably the best teacher of the game in all of hockey...congrats & good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                The problem isn't the message, it was the messenger and the forum. If a reporter, or an outsider, made those comments everyone would acknowledge that they were factually correct. The biggest problem he faces with those comments is that he completely threw Whitehead under the bus and now every potential boss he could have is going to struggle to trust him. He could've separated himself from Whitehead in his job interview, behind closed doors. Instead, he decided to try and win the job in the public and that never works. The second issue is that his comments show no accountability. At the end of the day, he bears some of the responsibility (everyone associated does) for what happened during Whitehead's tenure. Either way, I'm sure it's a move he regrets the tact he took and will learn from it.

Focusing on the more important news, you guys are getting arguably the best teacher of the game in all of hockey...congrats & good luck!
                He kept his mouth shut while Tim was still on the job though.....so logically, no he wouldn't send another letter, until you got fired. At which point you'd have bigger things to worry about.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I interviewed Red in the immediate wake of the national championship last month and he was incredible to speak to. I will try to uncover that audio piece I did. For the last four years I have been a student and broadcaster at Quinnipiac, so I have seen my fair share of Yale. Late in games I've noticed Red doing a fair amount of talking on the bench and setting up plays out of timeouts, like you see with most assistant coaches. I know a few of the players on QU who said that Red is a "beaut" and that he tried to recruit a few of them. He was pretty soft spoken in the interview, but very serious in other moments. I remember most that he said Keith Allain is his best friend and one of the first things he thinks about when he gets up in the morning is that he never wanted to disappoint his friend. He believes very strongly in the idea of family in hockey and says he still gets phone calls from the players he coached at Bellows Free Academy. So from what I gathered out of my interview at the time and the players I spoke to, Maine is getting a guy that has tons of experience, some head coaching experience in the AHL, and a guy that really cares for the players he coaches. I think he is going to have a very positive effect on the players this summer, but the only thing I have to wonder about is where the energy is going to come from. Although, I have seen him get passionate on the bench in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the man and I can't wait to see what translates to Maine. Don't be shocked if Yale makes its way onto the schedule in the near future.

All I can think about when I see him is that scene from Out of the Woods where he is in the middle a room full of computers with paper spewing out of every machine saying, "Teams are crazy not to use this kind of technology." He looked like a mad scientist.

Comment

He assumed zero responsibility and tossed all the the blame on whitehead. If he felt timmy was not doing right by the program he should have said that to his face while he was employed under him. If timmy refused to liste. To him than he should have quit and then voiced his reasoning for quitting. Bottk. Line is that whitehead was winning, and winning a lot, until bob showed up. What he did showed a complete lack of character.

Comment

good pick, will be more interesting to see who assistants are.
                      Dan Muse who is with him at Yale would be a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        good pick, will be more interesting to see who assistants are.
                        Dan Muse who is with him at Yale would be a good one
                        Agreed. I have complete faith in Red's knowledge of the sport, and in his ability to teach. It's going to depend on what he has to work with. Surely, in all his years in the sport, he knows someone who can be a successful recruiter for a division 1 program?
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

NOW the work begins once he's introduced and gets his Assistants in place,he has a short off-season to work with...Hockey is back and ALIVE @ UMaine and the Alfond. Positive Plus.

Comment

The more I learn and the more I think about it the more I like the pick....

My question is, what other head jobs did Red Gendorn interview for? And if it all sounds so good why didn't they hire him? Wasn't he a finalist in the UMass mess last summer?

Its hard to believe the Maine athletic dept would be the first ones smart enough to give this guy a chance. Few have ever accused Maine of being the smartest guys in the room. That's my reservation.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                              He assumed zero responsibility and tossed all the the blame on whitehead. If he felt timmy was not doing right by the program he should have said that to his face while he was employed under him. If timmy refused to liste. To him than he should have quit and then voiced his reasoning for quitting. Bottk. Line is that whitehead was winning, and winning a lot, until bob showed up. What he did showed a complete lack of character.
                              How do you know what Corkum did or didn't do? stop trolling, go find a hole to crawl in
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

How old? 59? Surely you were all expecting a much younger coach than that, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X