X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I hope you're right... Still not excited about the choice.
    Its not so much important that we all be excited, moreso to just win baby. If Red is as good as touted, they'll win and the excitement will follow. Is he charismatic like Walshy, hell no but he did learn a thing or two from him while here and he obviously has translated that into success in the following years. Something about him obviously swayed the "search" committee . Who knows, maybe he and Standbrook are on good terms.

In any event, an interesting choice, a head scratcher, but maybe ultimately the best choice of all. I have little doubt he's a great teacher of the game and if what Priceless says is true about the physical training that will be a non issue too. I say lets give the guy a chance and see what he can do. Cant do any worse. All selfishness aside, I do think its cool that a guy that has given his life to the game finally gets his shot and molding his own program....could be a work of art, who knows.
    Last edited by all bear; 05-25-2013, 05:41 AM.
    sure why not

Comment

Gendron certainly has the knowledge and experience and finally has the opportunity to move forward as a head coach of a division 1 program. Very pleased for him. One would think that with his years of experience he would have an extensive recruiting network and would hire his own assistants and recruiter. If his staff can't recruit he will be no better than the previous coach.

Comment

Red certainly wasn't on my radar when the search started, guess we'll have to see what happens. I remember him as a personable guy back in the early 90s. Does anyone know what his role was with Yale? Was he a recruiter or D guy or.....?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Gendron certainly has the knowledge and experience and finally has the opportunity to move forward as a head coach of a division 1 program. Very pleased for him. One would think that with his years of experience he would have an extensive recruiting network and would hire his own assistants and recruiter. If his staff can't recruit he will be no better than the previous coach.
          I mean when you look at this realistically, all that has followed this guy has been success after success. And I'm talking major successes. We may have, to quote an old hockey guru, a diamond in the ruff here. Maybe that's not quite right, look at his resume, its certainly a stellar one.
          sure why not

Comment

Congrats to Red, I hope that Red will reach out to Corkum and offer him a position, and hope that Bob will put his pride aside and accept. I have tons of respect for Corkum and don't think that he was given the opportunity to really coach the team in the past. A knowledgeable hockey guy with so much insight, he has earned the respect of the team and has much to share. He should be part of the resurgence of Maine Hockey! With Grant as a kind of Yoda figure imparting his wisdom when asked.... It's a great day to play hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
              I mean when you look at this realistically, all that has followed this guy has been success after success. And I'm talking major successes. We may have, to quote an old hockey guru, a diamond in the ruff here. Maybe that's not quite right, look at his resume, its certainly a stellar one.
              2 D1 rings and Stanley Cups, the guy certainly has had some part in those. The more I think about it the more I like the pick. If he can get Assts to compliment him and someone who can recruit, I m guessing Red can close the deal. Should be fun
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                2 D1 rings and Stanley Cups, the guy certainly has had some part in those. The more I think about it the more I like the pick. If he can get Assts to compliment him and someone who can recruit, I m guessing Red can close the deal. Should be fun
                I'm with ya on this one. The more I think about it, the better I like it. He's well respected and has plenty of contacts. I'm giving this a thumbs up now. If he's in the no team outworks us camp, I think Corkum would fit that philosophy nicely if thats what he wants to do.
                sure why not

Comment

I have nothing personal against Corkum, but I don't want him to be associated with the program. I would doubt very much that Gendron would retain him. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    I agree and think he'll turn out to be an excellent coach, maybe even better than any of the other names that have been mentioned. He's certainly paid his dues and has tons of experience and has had great success at all levels of the game from winning Stanley Cups to Division one national championships, and he's one of our own as a past assistant under Walsh. At this point the best thing we can all do is to give him our support and several years worth of patience while he attempts to rebuild what Whitehead tore down. There's a good young nucleus of kids in Orono right now and I have a feeling it may not take as long as some might think. For the first time in many years, I'm excited about what this next hockey season will bring!

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      I have nothing personal against Corkum, but I don't want him to be associated with the program. I would doubt very much that Gendron would retain him. Just my opinion.
                      Agree, clean house.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                        Agree, clean house.
                        Corkum was a great Maine player and he's done all he's been asked for UMaine hockey and I hope that his success continues as a head coach somewhere when he's ready for that. But unfortunately he arrived in Orono at the wrong time and under the wrong circumstances. I feel bad for him because he deserved much better than to have to put up with Whiteheads 'my way or the highway' personality and I can only imagine his frustration at knowing what the UMaine team needed but unable to implement it due to Whitehead, and now he'll probably be booted out the door. Such is the life of a coach and it's probably best for our new head coach to have a clean slate and hire his own people, but I truly hope that Corkum someday makes us all wish we'd kept him when we had him. He's been a great, completely loyal Black Bear, and deserves nothing but the best from all of us, even if he's not going to be one of our coaches, at least for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
                          I'm with ya on this one. The more I think about it, the better I like it. He's well respected and has plenty of contacts. I'm giving this a thumbs up now. If he's in the no team outworks us camp, I think Corkum would fit that philosophy nicely if thats what he wants to do.
                          Put me in that group as well. I was shocked last night, but now think he could work out well. If nothing else he has a lot of goodwill from working with the '93 team. It will be interesting who is on his staff.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Was it money, politics, or something else that kept Maine from hiring its first half dozen choices??? I hate what the administration in Orono has done to this athletic program over the past decade........it's really pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                              Was it money, politics, or something else that kept Maine from hiring its first half dozen choices??? I hate what the administration in Orono has done to this athletic program over the past decade........it's really pathetic.
                              Was Gwoz even considered or interviewed?

Comment

• Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                                How do you know Maine missed on their first half dozen choices? I don't think there was much interest from Capuano or Gwoz. As far as Jimmy, I don't think there was much interest from Maine.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X